A Few Thoughs about the Broncos Game

Virgil

Talk about an amazing win for McDermott and the Bills. This game had everything a Bills fan is used to, except for maybe a different ending than we are used to. If this regime is going to change the culture of the Bills, this might be the game that started it all. Brace yourselves, because as a game that had a lot of ups and downs, these thought are going to be all over the place.

1 - Tyrod - I usually stay away from TT at the beginning of these as I know it get the most attention and the fans who don't like him, will only focus on attacking the positives. Today might have been one of Tyrod's most complete games as an NFL quarterback to me. Not because of his yardage or the win, but because he made some great throws, made some terrible throws, but in the end, found a way to get the job done. I was surprised to see him roll out to his left on so many plays, forcing himself to throw across his body. The terrible miss to Jones was under those circumstances. I was incredibly worried after the first drive that this game was going to mirror Carolina in regards to offensive performance, but Tyrod really got it going on some drives, making solid throws all over the field. I like even more the plays he didn't make. There were a few play-actions passes where he wanted to go deep, but couldn't get the ball out. I was happy for the lack of throw, possible INT, and just making it to the next play. He also kept the final drive alive with some great runs. ​Best Play - ​His TD pass to Clay was beautiful. A lot of people want to harp on TT for bailing on plays too early. He kept his eyes down the field the entire play, forced the defense to respect his running ability, and found Clay wide open because of it. That is exactly how a running QB needs to use his feet, eyes, and arm.

2 - Refs - I hate talking about the Refs two weeks in a row. I'm still salty about the offensive PI call last week and the one against the 49ers on Thursday night. I feel like these guys have meetings and talk about what plays they are going to enforce, 50/50 or not. As for this game, I almost lost it a few times on the Broncos TD drive. The defensive PI call, late hit, roughing the qb calls were all questionable at best. Never mind the excessive holding calls against the Broncos that never seemed to get called. Hughes and Kyle got mugged constantly and no calls were made. As for the unsportsmanlike conduct call, I'm torn. If your kids are watching that game, that's the definition of how you don't treat someone on the field. As an adult, it was funny to me and TT laughed too. What I love about it though? That it didn't happen against the Bills as it almost always seems to.

3 - Tre White - Talk about a tale of two halves. I felt terrible for this kid as the Broncos absolutely picked on him the entire first half. He was in great position for many plays, but the Sanders and Thomas made great catches. But man did he come out a possessed man in the second half. He was just batting down balls, laying hits, and doing it all. It was only a matter of time until he came down with an INT and it felt great when he did. Hats off to this kid for pushing through and contributing to a solid win.

4 - It's been one week since you looked at me
Cocked your head to the side and said, "I'm angry."
Five days since you laughed at me saying,
"Get back together come back and see me."

5 - Dennison - Talk about Jekyll and Hyde playcalling. We had three drives where we started in field goal range and got negative yards on 1st down all three times. The opening drive was a disaster and some of the run calls were uninspired. Now, with that being said, great job calling misdirection plays and routes down the field where Tyrod could get deep with limited pass protection. We had a good number of drives that resembled and NFL offense and I felt confident in our ability to score for the first time this season. If this offense showed up last week, we are 3-0 right now. I'm hoping that this is Dennison and the players figuring things out and each week we will see this progression.

6 - Overall Defense - I'm still a little frustrated with our soft zone in the middle of the field as well as not sending extra guys to create more pressure. There's quite a few plays where I feel like one more blitzer would have gotten the job done. Besides that, and you take Jamaal Charles deciding to show up on a few plays, our defense was fantastic in our bend, but don't break, approach. 16 points given up against a team 2-0 with those weapons is impressive. The Broncos were lucky to score the 3 points they did in the second half as the adjustments made were inspiring. I'm loving what I'm seeing so far and a lot more players made names for themselves. Humber impressed me on a few plays, Kyle played fantastic again, and the backfield is really making receivers pay with some punishing hits.

7 - Tolbert - I'm still not liking this acquisition. His fair catch call on the kickoff made absolutely no sense. He's too slow to be making cuts and I think he's confused as to the type of running back we need him to be. Just put your head down, run straight, and knock someone over. Anything else is outside your skillset. I really wish we had a genuine #2 runningback with Tolbert as just the short yardage bruiser.

8 - McDermott - Great win for the coach and 2-1 after 3 games is about what you would hope for with this schedule. He had another head scratching time out to me when he waited 15 seconds to call it. Other than that, I like his energy on the sideline, clapping and all. I love the lack of penalties. Most importantly, I love taking a knee with 2 minutes left and up by 10. So far, it's hard to not think we have the right coach.

​9 - Defensive Adjustments to Offensive Audibles - I could throw this in with the defense, but I feel it needs to be separate. One of the most infuriating things about our defense was our inability to adjust when the opposing offense made changes at the line. Communication between players was confusing, players were out of position, and we would waste timeouts or give up big plays. So far this year, we are making quick reads, quick communication, and ready with seconds to go before the snap. I can't stress how important I think this is. Our cohesiveness as a defense unit is evident and only going to get better.

10 - Hauschka - This guy made me a little nervous to start the season, but man was he money today. He was booming them today and they were all no doubters. I rarely give much thought to kickers, but he was a difference maker today and deserves the nod.

2-1 and off to Atlanta for what is going to be an interesting test for our defense. I think most NFL teams would be favored to lose next week, but any given sunday.....

GO BILLS!

Edited by Virgil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree about Tolbert, not really very effective for a number 2 back on a team that's supposed to live and die with the running game. If it wasn't for McBeane, can't imagine him having a job. He's not awful, but hardly a suitable backup for this type of offense.

I agree about Tolbert, not really very effective for a number 2 back on a team that's supposed to live and die with the running game. If it wasn't for McBeane, can't imagine him having a job. He's not awful, but hardly a suitable backup for this type of offense.

I'm really pleased with this great team victory. No need for being a downer, but the Tolbert business continues to mystify me. Tolbert is not a number two back, and he has been extremely overused. Tolbert has zero big play capability. I cannot comprehend wasting carries on him. We could find a more suitable number two back on the street. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I'm really pleased with this great team victory. No need for being a downer, but the Tolbert business continues to mystify me. Tolbert is not a number two back, and he has been extremely overused. Tolbert has zero big play capability. I cannot comprehend wasting carries on him. We could find a more suitable number two back on the street.

Totally. If he's the FB and gets a couple carries here and there, no problem. But there are better RB options out there, I have no doubt.

Nice recap. I'm very impressed by our 2nd half adjustments. Suddenly Tre White was where he needed to be to get a hand on the ball. Our offense was less predictable until we were up by a TD. Halftime adjustments is what separates any old NFL coach from coaches like Andy Reid and Bill Belichick. A promising start to the season.

Totally. If he's the FB and gets a couple carries here and there, no problem. But there are better RB options out there, I have no doubt.

Yeah, it's mind numbing and ridiculous. I'm sure Tolbert is a good well liked dude, but he's not a number two back. Any actual running back would be a better option. I just hope that it doesn't continue.

Tolbert should not be given the plays and carries. It's just stupid. I'm glad he's on the team. He serves a purpose. But he shouldn't be the #2 back. It's bad coaching and personnel decisions.

And they're not even making him share those carries with DiMarco. We could have double the fullback fun.

Didn't hear Dion Dawkins name much. Given that D, the rook did ok.

Right off the bat Von Miller beat him bad on the first drive and then did nothing much the rest of the game. Didn't do much in the run game. I thought the switch to letting Tyrod roll out and do naked bootlegs to the left caused the Broncos to not be able to just tee off on the QB and rush hard.

Play action, play action, play action, play action, play action. It's not rocket surgery. Play action gives tyrod more time to throw, makes the defense back off, and creates coverage gaps.

They ran quite a few play action calls and the defense was right in Tyrods face.

I like that they tried, but its not always that simple

Tolbert is not anything and neither is DiMarco. When Tolbert comes in I expect nothing but an opportunity to rest McCoy. DiMarco does nothing every time he comes in to block it's a run for no gain. He has me longing for Felton.

Tolbert is not anything and neither is DiMarco. When Tolbert comes in I expect nothing but an opportunity to rest McCoy. DiMarco does nothing every time he comes in to block it's a run for no gain. He has me longing for Felton.

Number one backs always need a rest, but you play guys who have can make a big play themselves. Tolbert runs are a waste of downs.