Rick Dennison

bobobonators

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think anyone is giving the QB a pass. At all.

Sure.

How many times was the running game shut down?

And then ask...why is that?

Hint: play calling.

3 OCs same pop warner passing concepts. But hey must be Bills. Only bring in pop warner OCs and it cant be because the QB cant handle NFL passing concepts

Um...The Bills averaged 24.6 points per game in his previous 29 starts.

~Hands the poster a groupon for Lenscrafters.

It's actually very impressive that we've been able to accumulate so many rushing yards despite the defenses stacking 8 in the box the past two years, I'll give you that. Too bad he's a quarterback in a passing league.

1. It seemed like CAR DL had penetration into the backfield on almost every play.

2. No lanes for shady to run.

3. No chemistry in passing game.

I guess what bothered me most was that offense wasnt doing anything and we didnt try anything to really disrupt the defense. No quick slant passes. No screens to WR. No bootleg Playaction on first down. Just very vanilla.

THIS

Sure.

3 OCs same pop warner passing concepts. But hey must be Bills. Only bring in pop warner OCs and it cant be because the QB cant handle NFL passing concepts

Offense that ranked 10th and12th in the league in scoring for the past 2 years...something that hasn't happened in forever in Buffalo.

But let's go back to the Dick Jauron days.

I love this plan!!

Offense that ranked 10th and12th in the league in scoring for the past 2 years...something that hasn't happened in forever in Buffalo.

But let's go back to the Dick Jauron days.

I love this plan!!

Lets fire Dennison then. Maybe the 4th OC can get the QB to throw with anticipation and timing

1. It seemed like CAR DL had penetration into the backfield on almost every play.

I guess what bothered me most was that offense wasnt doing anything and we didnt try anything to really disrupt the defense. No quick slant passes. No screens to WR. No bootleg Playaction on first down. Just very vanilla.

Hated the game plan today. Too many runs on first down into stacked boxes. No misdirections or moving pockets. I'm having a hard time finding a difference compared to the pre-season.

Gotta agree with both of you. Good OCs can maak players flaws and produce points with who they have. A Lynn did it last year to a top 10 in scoring. Rico has a lot to learn about calling a game. We ran no option plays and thats one of this rosters strenghts. The forth and toss play was mind boggling stupid. I hope they get their sht together.

Lets fire Dennison then. Maybe the 4th OC can get the QB to throw with anticipation and timing

Or take away what the offense had been doing best ....and have worse results...

just so people can B word about the QB.

That's a pretty pathetic way to run a football team, IMO...especially when the team didn't bother to try and replace the QB..

I go back and forth on this in my mind. We are built as a running team and you shouldn't give up what you do well. If we get a good break on one of those runs no one would be complaining about the play calling.

Then again while watching the game I thought we ran too many times on 1st down.

Or take away what the offense had been doing best ....and have worse results...

just so people can B word about the QB.

That's a pretty pathetic way to run a football team, IMO...especially when the team didn't bother to try and replace the QB..

Yeah guess we shouldnt expect a 7 year vet QB to be you know a QB

Gotta agree with both of you. Good OCs can maak players flaws and produce points with who they have. A Lynn did it last year to a top 10 in scoring. Rico has a lot to learn about calling a game. We ran no option plays and thats one of this rosters strenghts. The forth and toss play was mind boggling stupid. I hope they get their sht together.

I seriously doubt A Lynn was a disciple of Greg Roman..but he used a hell of a lot of Roman's concepts, those that worked.

And I only saw a little of the Chargers last week, but he doesn't run the same offense in LA as he did in Buffalo, because he has Rivers.

There's a reason he's a head coach now.

I thought Dennison called a crappy game. Very predictable. Didn't adjust throughout.

I do think, however, part of the conservative nature could have been ordered by McD to give defense a rest and thinking this was going to be low scoring affair so he wasn't allowed to open it up much. It almost worked.

I just find it hard to believe that Matthews or Zay aren't capable of getting the ball through slants and crossing routes. I always though those were a big part of the WCO. I haven't been impressed with the game plans or play designs. It doesn't seem like we are putting our QB or WRs i positions to succeed. Zay was a guy who absolutely made a killing out of the slot in college but he comes here to get lost on the outside.

This is no different than the Chan Gailey yesrs trying to scheme your way to wins because of obvious passing flaws at the QB position.

He does for sure. That wasn't one of them.

He had O'Leary open early enough in that Roll that he could have made the throw. But indecisiveness again bits him

Here is the first play of each drive. We passed 60% of the time on first down (even including the run as the last play of the half). I think you are seeing what you want to see friend. I love the bill complaints of we always run on first down, or we always do run pass run, or we dont do screens or playactions. These complaints, are almost always wrong. You might as well be a broken record in a vacuum ignoring what actually happened

Drive 1 - Run

Drive 2 - Run

Drive 3 - Pass

Drive 4 - Pass

Drive 5 - Run (this was the last play of the half)

Drive 6 - Pass (Tyrod scrambled, but it was a called pass)

Drive 7 - Pass

Drive 8 - Pass

Drive 9 - Run

Drive 10 - Pass

If you look at all first downs it was 11 runs to 6 passes up until the 2min drill at end of game where they had to pass. That's almost a 2:1 ratio. Bad gameplan against a stout run defense. I would have preferred they let Taylor throw the ball more. Did they have any play action? Didn't pay close enough attention to that.

1 game we looked great

1 game we looked awful.

Let's see next week at home versus Den if the leadership and coaches can get some consistentcy going, we seem to have a playoff caliber D

Denvers D is one of if not the best in the league. I expect to look like dog crap next week too.

I go back and forth on this in my mind. We are built as a running team and you shouldn't give up what you do well. If we get a good break on one of those runs no one would be complaining about the play calling.

Then again while watching the game I thought we ran too many times on 1st down.

It isn't just being a "running team" vs. a "passing team" to me. For instance, The Marrone-Hackett Brain Trust wanted to be a running team, but their game plan for running the ball was about as blah as can be. Its not the fact that you run, its how you run.

Greg Roman showed what a running game with a little innovation can look like and Lynn adopted it.

Unbalanced formations

selective use of the option

misdirection..

it is rare to have a running game in the NFL these days that keeps a defense guessing.

But it did. And it worked

Do Shady and the O line have a role in how well the offense ran the ball? Oh yeah...

But did the play calling help put them in the right position? Better believe it.

I always though it would be great to be a run blocking OL in that system...

get a DL going one way...just to cream him when he figures out the run is going the opposite way.

But I think those days are gone..

We need to use the option more. Fit the play calling to their strengths. The offense rrally let the defense down today. Everyone from the OC to the players they played hard they jus didnt make enough plays. It isnt just one players fault no matter how much you want to crucify the QB.

Our predictably, I think, was mainly due to the offensive formations.

I'd love to see a breakdown of % of plays by formation, particularly the I-formation.

Sure, players didn't win battles, but when you rush for a net of barely positive yardage (4 or 5 yards) on handoffs to the RB on first downs PLUS negative yardage (-1 yard, I believe) the handful of times you decided to run it a 2nd time immediately after a successful run, there's something to be said about the defense knowing what you're doing.

It was a poorly called game by the OC with poor execution by the all parties in the O, as well.

We should have been passing. The secondary is the weakest part of their D. Probably why we were successful doing it when we finally committed to it.

The Panthers are an incredible D. Hopefully this isn't the norm.

I just find it hard to believe that Matthews or Zay aren't capable of getting the ball through slants and crossing routes. I always though those were a big part of the WCO. I haven't been impressed with the game plans or play designs. It doesn't seem like we are putting our QB or WRs i positions to succeed. Zay was a guy who absolutely made a killing out of the slot in college but he comes here to get lost on the outside.

Agreed

They ran some screens - the QB does not throw slants - he throws outs and corners to guys very late.

There were serval times where you could see open guys underneath that TT did not see.

He is what he he at this point - a very average QB that cannot read a defense.

He was average last week and straight up low tier this week.

Watching the Denver game and thinking they look a ton better on offense than last year under Dennison. However, after looking at 2016 stats their offense was actually quite good. I must just be tainted from today's performance.

That said, I really do remember them looking awful on offense several games last year.

Just looked at scores. Three games with 10 points or fewer, another where they scored 13 and one where they scored 16.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

Yeah because it is standard data with this QB. So i know i will see more

I know there is one with O'Leary

Yeah - that was a killer - throw it to a guy covered with 2 guys coming at you.

Right in the game flow a wide open TE for a first down, but TT stares at 1 receiver and doesn't follow progressions at all.

It's not all on Dennison (although I think he's not a good OC).

This oline is terrible with pass blocking and this is probably the worst WR depth chart this team has had in the last 10+ years.

Also the QB situation with Taylor speaks for itself.

I'll ignore the name - "SaviorPeterman" - and agree with the point. In retrospect, this was just a terrible matchup for the Bills offense vs. the Panthers defense. Tyrod is slow to get rid of the ball; the Panthers are known for speed on defense, so Tyrod did next to nothing with his legs; the Bills WR corps is one of the worst in the NFL; the Panthers had nothing to lose by loading the box and committing to stop the run. Unfortunately this is almost exactly the same situation the Bills will face next week against the Broncos, currently holding Ezekiel Elliot to 2 yards on 7 carries through 3 quarters. Ouch.