WEEK 1: ALL 22 REVIEW - O LINE PASS PROT /QB UNFORCED ERRORS

Bocephuz

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where I am at too.

Yeah, and thats one of the reasons I have been so active in this thread and Shaws thread...finally a thread with real discussion and debate. Im cool with the opposing opinions, and even though I greatly disagree on the Clay play with a few people, I respect their opinion and approach to that opinion. Rather enjoyed real back and forth discussion on a topic here rather than the usual stream of non sense thats plagued topics on this board most the off season.

TBH, I am floored that a topic like the TT and Clay subject of the INT has NOT turned into a TT bashing session like any topic usually does around here. It actually stayed almost predominantly on analytics of just the play and not some TT sucks rants. Very refreshing to say the least

Let's aim to keep these that way. Encourage healthy debate/ be objective

Edited by Bocephuz

OK, I love the work, but I have a question.

You said there were 36 total passing plays, correct? That would imply 28 pass attempts, 2 sacks, and 6 scrambles. Right?

Did you count it out while watching?

I ask because kneel downs are usually counted as rushes. And Buffalo ended the game with three straight kneel downs from Taylor for -3 yards. Did the NFL not officially count those as rushes? On top of that, on the second to last drive, there were two designed runs for a total of 14 yards by Taylor. Those weren't passing plays.

I'm not trying to criticize. You might be aware if you've looked at some of my previous posts, but I am genuinely a believer that you should separate scrambles from designed runs. That scrambles should be factored into net passing yards the exact same way that sacks are.

OK, I love the work, but I have a question.

You said there were 36 total passing plays, correct? That would imply 28 pass attempts, 2 sacks, and 6 scrambles. Right?

Did you count it out while watching?

I ask because kneel downs are usually counted as rushes. And Buffalo ended the game with three straight kneel downs from Taylor for -3 yards. Did the NFL not officially count those as rushes? On top of that, on the second to last drive, there were two designed runs for a total of 14 yards by Taylor. Those weren't passing plays.

I'm not trying to criticize. You might be aware if you've looked at some of my previous posts, but I am genuinely a believer that you should separate scrambles from designed runs. That scrambles should be factored into net passing yards the exact same way that sacks are.

I generally don't count the plays where he obviously has a called QB run like a bootleg.

As this is an offensive line anaylsis i do count snaps where he drops back to pass but scrambles.

Regarding the accuracy of my counts I would refer you to my paragraph 2 disclaimer

Great summary, thanx OP! I also agree the INT in the end zone was catch-able by Clay. First game of the season jitters perhaps (hopefully).

The ball was definitely catchable but I also think that if Clay did secure it right away instead of going through his hands....the hit he took probably would have jarred it loose.

Good to see PFF validated my Mills grade. Joe Buscaglia gave him a C .. not sure what he saw there

I am late to he partey as usual.

But been reading since OP.

Thank you Good Sir Bocephuz.

Just awesome.

And creating such fine dialogue here needs to be noted!!

Keep them coming, your time and efforts are well received indeed

I am late to he partey as usual.

But been reading since OP.

Thank you Good Sir Bocephuz.

Just awesome.

And creating such fine dialogue here needs to be noted!!

Keep them coming, your time and efforts are well received indeed

Hear, hear

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

We had some on BBMB that I always looked forward to. Now I will look forward to this one too. Good job OP and thanks for the work.

I am quite sure we will find our footing before long. Fans here and the Bills

Like loving those darned Bills, try another shot of patience.

Trust me on this.

I am quite sure we will find our footing before long. Fans here and the Bills

Like loving those darned Bills, try another shot of patience.

Trust me on this.

Oh I quite happen to like this board a lot. I don't post as much here as I did there and I am slowly learning who and how everyone is around here. This is a great board. I think I actually like it better even if I do miss the old board. That place was getting pretty bad.

Oh I quite happen to like this board a lot. I don't post as much here as I did there and I am slowly learning who and how everyone is around here. This is a great board. I think I actually like it better even if I do miss the old board. That place was getting pretty bad.

The boards combining meant more bad posters but more good posters too. It balances out.

Acclimating is the hardest part with anything new.

The boards combining meant more bad posters but more good posters too. It balances out.

It is an equation. Bad and good are not quite true. they are X's and Y's and variables.

Everyone has a point to make i guess, it is how they present it and or defend it. And for how long.

learning how each member plays over time, all the others will adjust.

I mean Gugny for example...

Good to see PFF validated my Mills grade. Joe Buscaglia gave him a C .. not sure what he saw there

There was a caller on WGR the other day that really seemed to know football. Donald Jones agreed with his critique of Mills. They said that Mills didn't do a good job at all of clearing out his man when the ball was ran to the right side...which is why we didn't have success running that way.

He said when your RT can't take and push out the guy on the edge to create a hole, it creates a plug leading zero running room. Mills constantly wasn't getting it done and our RB's had no where to run. He was basically clogging the hole himself.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

There was a caller on WGR the other day that really seemed to know football. Donald Jones agreed with his critique of Mills. They said that Mills didn't do a good job at all of clearing out his man when the ball was ran to the right side...which is why we didn't have success running that way.

He said when you're RT can't take and push out the guy on the edge to create a hole, it creates a plug leading zero running room. Mills constantly wasn't getting it done and our RB's had no where to run. He was basically clogging the hole himself.

Basically Mills had a good game in pass pro and a bad game in run blocking.

Isn't that sort of flipped from what the right side of our line did last year?

He said when you're RT can't take and push out the guy on the edge to create a hole, it creates a plug leading zero running room. Mills constantly wasn't getting it done and our RB's had no where to run. He was basically clogging the hole himself.

Keep in mind Bocephuz does not analyze OL performance on run blocking plays.

Isn't that sort of flipped from what the right side of our line did last year?

Keep in mind Bocephuz does not analyze OL performance on run blocking plays.

Yep..i look at pass blocking only. Always interested in hearing what others saw in run block though Edited by Bocephuz

Count me surprised on Mills, Miller and Castillo as well. This was a good start.. we'll see how it plays out on the road against a recent Super Bowl contender this week.

I think this scheme is better for Jordan Mills which is why he is performing better than expected.

I am really hoping they use Dawkins as relief tackle with expected weather this weekend.

Which points to scheme change.

Gotta give Taylor credit when credit is due, he makes the 47-yard play to Matthews, there's no denying it. Did you catch all of the factors that led to this big play?

http://www.cover1.net/taylor-works-progressions/

...who the hell denied credit?.....but "THIS" needs to be THESE PLAYS before you generate excitement......Jesus, be realistic.....

...who the hell denied credit?.....but "THIS" needs to be THESE PLAYS before you generate excitement......Jesus, be realistic.....

Ive heard people saying that Oleary was open and TT didn't throw it to him. Same with the roll out to the left when he hit Oleary.

Gotta give Taylor credit when credit is due, he makes the 47-yard play to Matthews, there's no denying it. Did you catch all of the factors that led to this big play?

http://www.cover1.net/taylor-works-progressions/

I get that you want people to go to your site.

But I think it's in poor taste to hijack a thread by an OP who put obvious hours into an excellent analysis.

You've posted your link in about 50 different threads.

Excuse me if you think I'm being a jerk, but I just don't think it's right.

Post one thread with your link and trust that people will see it.

I get that you want people to go to your site.

But I think it's in poor taste to hijack a thread by an OP who put obvious hours into an excellent analysis.

You've posted your link in about 50 different threads.

Excuse me if you think I'm being a jerk, but I just don't think it's right.

Post one thread with your link and trust that people will see it.

I tried and was told to put it here by a moderator....Does this video not add to the conversation? 50 huh smh

Very true, he and the TEs on runs to their side struggled to get any type of movement.

Edited by cover1

definitely not routine. it would have been routine if TT would have thrown it a second earlier.

great point.. yes.. TT did lead him allowing YAC. Hopefully that improves this year as we go.

TT was #1 in lowest % of YIA for all of week 1...Complete opposite of last season, that's an improvement and great start https://imgur.com/a/R1czw

Edited by cover1

i am inclined to agree. any one can chime in. we all respect Bocephuz

Thanks and it was not intended to hi jack any thread but to add to the discussion. In fact I was adding to his thread with a play he didn't cover **in detail** edit..

Edited by cover1

Thanks and it was not intended to hi jack any thread but to add to the discussion. In fact I was adding to his thread with a play he didn't cover.

Of course you had no intention of it !

Getting both you guys in the same "room" is nothing but good honestly.