After review of the Carolina week 1 game...

ajmac

I really do think Carolina is beatable. If you take the time to watch the game there are a few things that can be picked up;

1. Niners play calling was horrible and they made so many mistakes that really made the Carolina defense look better than they actually played. They tried to use the pass to set up the run and abandoned the run very early. They turned the ball over with silly throws by Hoyer, throws Tyrod IMO will not make. This allowed Carolina's defense to tee off and rush the passer. They are open to hitting those big plays we are really good at in behind that rush if they decide to do so.

2. There were critical penalties made by Niners and again another play calling snafu going for it on fourth down three times, only converting once late in the game when it didn't really matter. That gave Carolina great starting position on almost every drive in the first three quarters. Again, I don't think McD will make those calls either.

3. Carolina's new weapon in McCaffrey is quick, but susceptible to big hits. I think if we can key on him and hit him hard early, he could be minimized in his effect. Hit him hard, hit him early. He really hasn't had his welcome to the NFL hit yet. Let's hope we get that chance for an introduction!

4. Cam was very reluctant to run on the option which leads me to believe that the shoulder is not ready in his mind to take the big hit. Plus, it was apparent that his throwing motion does not look the same. His wind up is shorter than before, really looks like he has some discomfort reaching back. Now, he did look better in the second half for sure, but the motion was still different, especially when throwing to his right where (I am a biomechanist and golf coach as well as quarterbacks coach), he seems to have trouble with his internal and external shoulder rotation. His rotator cuff is definitely limited. If we can get a hit on him with some big body like Marcell or Kyle, that could really limit his effectiveness.

Now I am not saying this is going to be a cake walk, but I think our coaching staff will notice these little details as well. This is not the same Carolina team from two years ago. Cam is but a shell of his former self in my opinion. We need to get he and McCaffrey hit hard and early. If our D can play physical I think we can slow them down bigtime, and their D has yet to prove. They can stop the run and quick passing game. That cover three they like to play and their zone blitz packages are open to being picked apart by our zone blocking and underneath passing game and seem routes by the TE's.

Let's hope we come out quick and pop these guys in the mouth early!

Go Bills!

Yeah I'm with you on Cam, he is not 100% and he is still favoring that shoulder. He had 3 yards on the ground. I think the key will be take away the run and make Cam beat you with his arm. Get a couple shots on him early and will have happy feet all game. Cam is probably a less then average QB if he is not a running threat.

They are going to try to get McCaffrey the ball in space so you have limit his damage as a WR. This game is way closer then the line indicates.

Like I said in another thread, I don't like this matchup for the Bills. I agree that Carolina is a very flawed team. I'm just not sure our team is strong enough in the areas necessary to take advantage of where they are weak.

This is the game our linebackers have to step up big. Carolina's biggest strengths are in Cam Newton's running ability (maybe the injury will limit this), Greg Olsen and Christian McCaffrey out of the backfield. All of these require our LBs to be on top of their game.

This is the game our wide receivers have to make plays. Carolina can stuff the run. They can rush the passer and their linebackers are fantastic. The weakness is on the outside at cornerback. When they see last week's film, I have a feeling they will shut down the short stuff. Can Tyrod Taylor work the WRs this week?

I really do think Carolina is beatable. If you take the time to watch the game there are a few things that can be picked up;

1. Niners play calling was horrible and they made so many mistakes that really made the Carolina defense look better than they actually played. They tried to use the pass to set up the run and abandoned the run very early. They turned the ball over with silly throws by Hoyer, throws Tyrod IMO will not make. This allowed Carolina's defense to tee off and rush the passer. They are open to hitting those big plays we are really good at in behind that rush if they decide to do so.

2. There were critical penalties made by Niners and again another play calling snafu going for it on fourth down three times, only converting once late in the game when it didn't really matter. That gave Carolina great starting position on almost every drive in the first three quarters. Again, I don't think McD will make those calls either.

3. Carolina's new weapon in McCaffrey is quick, but susceptible to big hits. I think if we can key on him and hit him hard early, he could be minimized in his effect. Hit him hard, hit him early. He really hasn't had his welcome to the NFL hit yet. Let's hope we get that chance for an introduction!

4. Cam was very reluctant to run on the option which leads me to believe that the shoulder is not ready in his mind to take the big hit. Plus, it was apparent that his throwing motion does not look the same. His wind up is shorter than before, really looks like he has some discomfort reaching back. Now, he did look better in the second half for sure, but the motion was still different, especially when throwing to his right where (I am a biomechanist and golf coach as well as quarterbacks coach), he seems to have trouble with his internal and external shoulder rotation. His rotator cuff is definitely limited. If we can get a hit on him with some big body like Marcell or Kyle, that could really limit his effectiveness.

Now I am not saying this is going to be a cake walk, but I think our coaching staff will notice these little details as well. This is not the same Carolina team from two years ago. Cam is but a shell of his former self in my opinion. We need to get he and McCaffrey hit hard and early. If our D can play physical I think we can slow them down bigtime, and their D has yet to prove. They can stop the run and quick passing game. That cover three they like to play and their zone blitz packages are open to being picked apart by our zone blocking and underneath passing game and seem routes by the TE's.

Go Bills!

On the rotator cuff, is it because of scar tissue and his adversity to pain or can you tell if something might still be healing. Should have been enough time to heal, so it could just be a pain tolerance issue and warming up deal. Once he feels confident Cam will probably be back... just probably not the 2nd game if he couldnt the first.

On the rotator cuff, is it because of scar tissue and his adversity to pain or can you tell if something might still be healing. Should have been enough time to heal, so it could just be a pain tolerance issue and warming up deal. Once he feels confident Cam will probably be back... just probably not the 2nd game if he couldnt the first.

I don't think Cam's running will ever be back. Last season was his lowest rushing total for his career with only 359 yards in 15 games. I'm wondering if he just took too many hits earlier in his career and they are trying to make him into a pocket passer. Which clearly he is not.

I hope Taylor works like crazy all week on his ball fakes. Play action should be his friend, but he's been in shotgun so much, his fakes are not so good.

Need to freeze those LBs as much as possible or they will be clogging up the middle & deflecting balls.

Their LBs are really, realy good.

It's impossible to know by just observation if the shoulder is healed or not. It could be just psychosomatic and he just needs time to get his confidence back, but there were a couple things I saw that lead me to believe he has less range of motion and that there is more than just some fear there.

A couple of times he turned away from contact in the throws, on the short ru out of bounds he went out of his way to contort himself as to avoid contact with ground.

In the end, only time will tell. I was just posing an argument that the game is not a lock for them to win if these things are as I think, and oh yeah...we need to execute a good game plan against them. That's a lot of what ifs...let's hope we step up this week.

Bills will have a real shot in this game if they can play aggressively and take an early lead on the Panthers and force Newton to throw the ball more times than the Panthers want to give his current condition.

Also no excuse to not bring tons of pressure and blitzes compared to the Jets game but like most coaches in years past with this team something tells me McDermott and Frasier will insist on getting pressure from just the front four.

I hope Taylor works like crazy all week on his ball fakes. Play action should be his friend, but he's been in shotgun so much, his fakes are not so good.

Need to freeze those LBs as much as possible or they will be clogging up the middle & deflecting balls.

That is a good oversvation for sure! Details make all the difference at this level. Kueckly and Tomas are quick to recognize and react. You might have a good point on the balls fakes.

Wish it was at home. See that being a big factor.

Re: giving McCaffrey his "Welcome to the NFL" hit, who do people bet will be the guy to deliver that from the Bills? My guess is Ragl Poyer.

I am guessing Humber or Kyle on a cut back! Let's just hope we can set the tone early. I know it's cliche, but it makes a big difference when playing away.

Go Bills!

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

That shoulder is definitely effecting Cam's ability on the field after watching the SF game... going to be interesting watching McD play chess with Rivera.

SF just didn't look mentally tough at all,they moved the ball , just couldn't capitalize on scoring, their D was okay, but just seemed to check out at times.

Like you said, I don't expect this Bills team to go into Charlotte and get in their own way. O and D played confident and fast last week , McD has this team mentally ready , I expect to see a Bills team that is all business like last week.

7.5 is a joke, line should realistically be 3-4 points, because our public perception is so bad, it's a high line, more money for me on my money line.

It's going to be a good game, I see it 27-20 final in favor of the Bills..

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

That shoulder is definitely effecting Cam's ability on the field after watching the SF game... going to be interesting watching McD play chess with Rivera.

SF just didn't look mentally tough at all,they moved the ball , just couldn't capitalize on scoring, their D was okay, but just seemed to check out at times.

Like you said, I don't expect this Bills team to go into Charlotte and get in their own way. O and D played confident and fast last week , McD has this team mentally ready , I expect to see a Bills team that is all business like last week.

7.5 is a joke, line should realistically be 3-4 points, because our public perception is so bad, it's a high line, more money for me on my money line.

It's going to be a good game, I see it 27-20 final in favor of the Bills..

Love the optimism. I think as long as we minimize mistakes, your prediction sounds just about right.

I also saw the same thing you did from SF. They had opportunities against that D and shot themselves in the foot on numerous occasions. If we can play clean and not turn the ball over I think 27-20 is doable.

Best believe we'll see plenty of P.A , that's going to be the staple of our pass attack. A game like this is where a guy like Dimarco really makes a difference, with his run/catch ability ,you have to account for him and that just opens space all over the field.

Love the optimism. I think as long as we minimize mistakes, your prediction sounds just about right.

I also saw the same thing you did from SF. They had opportunities against that D and shot themselves in the foot on numerous occasions. If we can play clean and not turn the ball over I think 27-20 is doable.

Yup. SF looked like they thought it was still pre season at points, even though Car beat them by 3 scores, they didn't dominate like we did the Jets, of course,they weren't at home either,so, it's an unfair comparison, but I hope we start fast like last week, we only put up 7 in the first half but left 6-10 points on the board,and we controlled that game from kickoff to kneel down.

Last year we were notoriously slow starters ,I want at least a FG on that opening drive, you can't prepare for a Shady McCoy, he's in the rare talent conversation, if Tyrod plays similar to last week, I'd bet the house we win comfortably

I was at the game and I believe that Carolina is beatable. The Niners are pretty horrible and the Panthers did a nice job of shutting them down, including two 4th and 1 plays at the 50 yard line. Not too hard to do with Hoyer leading the Niners. Taylor will be more difficult for Carolina. Cam Newton was definitely rusty. If we take McCaffery out of it, we will eliminate a huge piece of their offense. He is pretty speedy and catches lots of dumps and turns them into nice YAC. If it were in Buffalo, I'd say we win. Not sure if Carolina has a tough atmosphere. Lots of Carolina fans were out here for the game and I chatted with several- there is a lot of respect for McDermott and Beane. The consensus I got is they think this will be a good game.

Edited by SF Bills Fan

I was at the game and I believe that Carolina is beatable. The Niners are pretty horrible and the Panthers did a nice job of shutting them down, including two 4th and 1 plays at the 50 yard line. Not too hard to do with Hoyer leading the Niners. Taylor will be more difficult for Carolina. Cam Newton was definitely rusty. If we take McCaffery out of it, we will eliminate a huge piece of their offense. He is pretty speedy and catches lots of dumps and turns them into nice YAC. If it were in Buffalo, I'd say we win. Not sure if Carolina has a tough atmosphere. Lots of Carolina fans were out here for the game and I chatted with several- there is a lot of respect for McDermott and Beane. The consensus I got is they think this will be a good game.

Agree with shutting down McCaffery, and that was why I suggested or I guess just hope we can hit him early and rattle him a bit. Also nice to hear that there is some respect there for McD and Beane, they both seem like stand up guys. The character of this team, hopefully will be reflected more and more as we move forward from what they are trying to build. I am not sure we are ready yet, but I do believe they are making the right steps.

Let's hope we can keep our heads about us this asunday if the adversity hits early and not do the cliche, "here we go again bit". That is tough not to do when you have had a drought like the Bills. With so many new faces, this might be our year to at least make a step forward in that regard.

.....but they "only" beat the 49ers.

I couldn't help myself.

I was waiting for someone to say that:)