Those %&*! Refs- Week 1

Trying to look at it from both sides, how'd they do?

Seemed like they let the game play, but it was a bit too raucous where I was at to catch much of the announcing/replays, so wondering what everyone's impressions of the Week 1 reffing are.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

For the most part I would say they called a good game. A penalty that was called twice (once of both teams was defensive holding on linemen). I've never seen this called in a lineman before so either it's a new rule or something they are keeping an eye out for.

Basically the lineman grabs the olineman and pulls him out of his gap to let a lb run through the hole.

They were fine.

Bills fans have a persecution complex.

Yeah, because the refs did nothing wrong last year against Seattle.

For the most part I would say they called a good game. A penalty that was called twice (once of both teams was defensive holding on linemen). I've never seen this called in a lineman before so either it's a new rule or something they are keeping an eye out for.

Basically the lineman grabs the olineman and pulls him out of his gap to let a lb run through the hole.

Have definitely seen that called before in games. Maybe they are actively looking for it more this year though. To get 2 in one game is rare for sure.

i would appreciate if one of the experts on here would shed some light on the play where Wood got the penalty after the endzone jet int.. i thought the Jet player went down when a teamate stumbled into him, knocking him to the ground, not touched by a Bill until Wood hit him , causing the fumble. i have obviously missed something. why werent the Bills awarded the ball?

I never saw an explanation of the play in the first quarter when the Jets intercepted and the returner fell down from colliding with a teammate. He started to get up and a Bill jumped over to knock the ball away. The Bills all thought it was a fumble, and so did I, but the refs called the Jets player down by contact, and we just moved on.

When exactly did that contact occur?

i would appreciate if one of the experts on here would shed some light on the play where Wood got the penalty after the endzone jet int.. i thought the Jet player went down when a teamate stumbled into him, knocking him to the ground, not touched by a Bill until Wood hit him , causing the fumble. i have obviously missed something. why werent the Bills awarded the ball?

I never saw an explanation of the play in the first quarter when the Jets intercepted and the returner fell down from colliding with a teammate. He started to get up and a Bill jumped over to knock the ball away. The Bills all thought it was a fumble, and so did I, but the refs called the Jets player down by contact, and we just moved on.

When exactly did that contact occur?

Being discussed here: https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/196219-the-jets-interception-play/

But basically his knee was still down when Wood made contact with him so he was down before the ball was out.

Kyle touched him when his knee when he was down (not big touch) and continued actions tackling and stripping ball from him.

After play offense player hit Kyle thinking he hit him for no reason.

He was in process of getting up and if Kyle waited a second or two it would have been a legal strip.

After play referees flagged Kyle and after discussion reversed call and flagged player who hit Kyle late.

In general I thought the centrally performed reviews did a good job.

They also did a good job in throwing a player out of game in another game.

Being discussed here: https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/196219-the-jets-interception-play/

But basically his knee was still down when Wood made contact with him so he was down before the ball was out.

ok thanks. i was under the impression that an opposing player must touch him.. do appreciate the explanation

I thought it was hilarious when the one ref ruled the Jets player stepping out of bounds before the pylon. The ref closest to the play made the initial call that was correct, the judge from the back came in and some how changed it to a touchdown while arguing with the other referee.

Nothing was worst than the local broadcast which is the Jets broadcast by me. Lacked so much knowledge when it came to certain players. They stated Clay wasn't a good blocking tight end he is more of a pass catcher... yeah, maybe 3-4 years ago. Called Matthews by Kearse.

Worst call I saw was Redskins-Eagles. Cousins arm was clearly in motion and a pass was batted down. But the Eagles picked it up like it was a fumble and the refs bought it. Even upheld it in review. :doh:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/washington-redskins-nfl-refs-kirk-cousins-fumble-video-review-refs-wrong-call

Worst call I saw was Redskins-Eagles. Cousins arm was clearly in motion and a pass was batted down. But the Eagles picked it up like it was a fumble and the refs bought it. Even upheld it in review. :doh:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/washington-redskins-nfl-refs-kirk-cousins-fumble-video-review-refs-wrong-call

Definitely up there with one of the worst calls ever.

I thought it was hilarious when the one ref ruled the Jets player stepping out of bounds before the pylon. The ref closest to the play made the initial call that was correct, the judge from the back came in and some how changed it to a touchdown while arguing with the other referee.

Nothing was worst than the local broadcast which is the Jets broadcast by me. Lacked so much knowledge when it came to certain players. They stated Clay wasn't a good blocking tight end he is more of a pass catcher... yeah, maybe 3-4 years ago. Called Matthews by Kearse.

LOL.. yea that was funny.. the guy has one job to do.. and it was right in front of him!