Does This Time Feel Different?

not different

This team, through most of the drought, has actually normally been able to 'take care of business' against the worst teams in the league.

It is nice they won, did the job at hand and all, but this was the 5th preseason game. It is tough to really make any assessments after that. It is unfair to the team in a way because it was almost a no-win situation in the public opinion.\\\\

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if, though?

What if they beat Carolina? Even if it is ugly, what then?

Coming home at 2-0?

Then we get to see how good McD really is. Can they stay focused? Will the intensity needed to sustain the win streak be there? What happens when they do lose one? Problems we haven't had for a long time.

Regardless of the caliber of opponent what is remarkable and a tribute to the coaching staff is not only was the defensive backfield completely changed but also the system changed to a zone system. This unit played cohesively and smartly. There was no confusion and broken assignments, as far as I could tell. The defense has been simplified and the players on the field know their assignments. If you watched the coaches on the sidelines there was little histrionics and more communicating with the players. The difference between a disciplined coach and an undisciplined coach is stark. While Rex tried to show how smart he was McDermott tried to put the players in the best position to succeed.

Tyrod still looks deficient in the passing game to me, but it's one game.

If that game demonstrates all the Bills' offense has to offer, they won't win more than 5 games.

Brees and Rivers still have to play, of course, but as of today Tyrod is:

14th in Pass Yards

5th in YPA

10th in total Yards

7th in YPT

6th in TD%

8th in Passer Rating

I might consider changing my expectations a bit, if I were you.

And yeah, this should probably be in one of the Tyrod threads instead. My bad.

Brees and Rivers still have to play, of course, but as of today Tyrod is:

14th in Pass Yards

5th in YPA

10th in total Yards

7th in YPT

6th in TD%

8th in Passer Rating

I might consider changing my expectations a bit, if I were you.

And yeah, this should probably be in one of the Tyrod threads instead. My bad.

This is after one game, against the team that will probably have the 1st overall pick in 2018... Put down the Kool-Aid.

Edited by T-Bomb

1) Tackling was rock solid and multiple players right there every time! Players were wrapping up and not trying to deliver a shoulder death blow. I only recall 1 obvious missed tackle but there were 3 players right there to stop a large gain.

2) They did not find a way to lose in the 4th quarter. Instead they had 2 ints!

Different? Yes very!

We couldn't comfortably beat one of the worst rosters of the past decade. I'm happy we won but so far thoroughly unimpressed.

If we beat Carolina on the road next week I'll be a lot more optimistic, however.

We beat them handily in nearly every facet of the game. A tipped pass in the EZ that turned into a pick and a missed FG are the reasons the score was remotely close.

Yards: 408-214

1st Downs: 23-11

ToP: 33-27

Yards per Play: 5.7-3.9

3rd Down %: 47.1-28.6

we seemed like a very professional team yesterday- and I'm not saying that because it was a W. We were composed, we executed a run heavy game plan and played great D. For the first time in a long time I feel great about our direction. I honestly think we beat the panthers as well this week

we seemed like a very professional team yesterday- and I'm not saying that because it was a W. We were composed, we executed a run heavy game plan and played great D. For the first time in a long time I feel great about our direction. I honestly think we beat the panthers as well this week

good answer

I've been in a freefall since Tuel gave up the probable winning score against the Chiefs with a pick-6 from the KC 2 about 4 years ago?

It was just the Jets so overall not really. Need to see some more games play out. You did touch on some things I agree with though. The team seemed much more composed than it did under Rex. Other than Incognito still getting stupid holding calls, there werent any really bad penalties.

Also this team seemed to play more as a team instead of a couple individual stars. I think everyone contributed to this win. Thats a good thing.

Watched the Incognito holding calls and thought they were garbage calls. If you get a chance take another look at those.

Regardless of the caliber of opponent what is remarkable and a tribute to the coaching staff is not only was the defensive backfield completely changed but also the system changed to a zone system. This unit played cohesively and smartly. There was no confusion and broken assignments, as far as I could tell. The defense has been simplified and the players on the field know their assignments. If you watched the coaches on the sidelines there was little histrionics and more communicating with the players. The difference between a disciplined coach and an undisciplined coach is stark. While Rex tried to show how smart he was McDermott tried to put the players in the best position to succeed.

Great post.

I recall so many broken assignments last year with the inevitable finger pointing, i would mention a few names but no point in starting that up.

I won't make any judgments based upon one game, but it DOES feel different to me in the big picture. The new front office, the vision and plan seem more solid than anything we've seen recently. I have absolutely nothing I can point to to back this up, but it's how I feel. Maybe that's just my coping mechanism kicking in....

One game that was against a team in full on tank mode. You should have a better feel after they play a real team this weekend.

Not a scrap of truth in this statement. No team, ever, anywhere, on any level of competition has or will ever be in 'tank mode' in their first game. The Jets were fighting to prove all the tank garbage wrong. Somewhere down the line they may accept their fate if nothing goes right, but none of these players are laying down week 1. Shoot, we may have just played the Jets in the most motivated and finest form they'll be all year.