10 years ago today

Happened right in front of us. Surreal thing to see unfold. You knew right away it was very bad. Could have turned out a lot worse. Props to everyone who had a hand in his care and props to him.

What happened in the immediate aftermath was incredible. In the ensuing days, we learned of the experimental treatment he was given on the field and in the ambulance. Inducing hypothermia for a paralysis victim was, and is, something something that wasn't done too many times on humans.

I really remember the contrast in statements from the doctor at Millard Fillmore who operated on him, and the Dr. from the Miami project, who's medical school was a leader in research for induced hypothermia. The Buffalo doctor was very reserved, giving a pretty bleak prognosis. The guy from Miami was far more upbeat, almost saying "This is going to work, this is going to work!!"

The treatment that followed was bigger than Kevin Everett, bigger than the Bills, bigger than the NFL, imo. It provided evidence for a whole new way of treating a trauma patient with paralysis.

It was that technique where they immediately cooled him down and that prevented serious spinal damage. It was a doctor downtown that was a pioneer at it that did it.

Yes, and the medical treatment Everett received that day remains a somewhat unspoken bright spot in WNY history, and a real compliment to the area.

Everyone knows of snow and cold weather when they think of Buffalo, but you wonder if they think of "great schools" or "top flight medical care" and so on...

I remember a few years ago I read that Amherst was like the #1 lowest crime area in the USA, as determined by number of "violent crimes" in a 1 year period. I think they had 4 of them.

It was that technique where they immediately cooled him down and that prevented serious spinal damage. It was a doctor downtown that was a pioneer at it that did it.

Full circle: Years before that, Ralph Wilson donated a lot of money to the research that led to that technique.

https://wayne.edu/newsroom/release/2007/09/19/everetts-innovative-treatment-connected-to-team-owner-ralph-wilsons-philanthropic-work-2642

If I remember correctly he was a university of Miami guy, and the technology in treating spinal cord injuries that helped save his life was pioneered at the university of Miami.

Dr Andrew cappuchino was the Surgeon if I remember correctly and he went to medical school at UB

Dr. Cappucino was the dr. that decided to use the cooling method. He was the team's orthopedic surgeon and they had just practiced for this situation two weeks before (according to the book i just read about Everett that was written by a reporting from Philly of all places). Cappucino's colleague would not say, with certainty, that the cooling treatment was the difference. I wonder, ten years later, if a definite recommendation has come out on using that process?

If I remember correctly he was a university of Miami guy, and the technology in treating spinal cord injuries that helped save his life was pioneered at the university of Miami.

Cappuccino was not from U of Miami. However, the Miami Project, headed up by Nick Buonocotti's son, who was also paralyzed, supported the treatment.

Dr. Cappucino was the dr. that decided to use the cooling method. He was the team's orthopedic surgeon and they had just practiced for this situation two weeks before (according to the book i just read about Everett that was written by a reporting from Philly of all places). Cappucino's colleague would not say, with certainty, that the cooling treatment was the difference. I wonder, ten years later, if a definite recommendation has come out on using that process?

Cappuccino was not from U of Miami. However, the Miami Project, headed up by Nick Buonocotti's son, who was also paralyzed, supported the treatment.

Very good....i knew there was some tie in there.

Full circle: Years before that, Ralph Wilson donated a lot of money to the research that led to that technique.

https://wayne.edu/newsroom/release/2007/09/19/everetts-innovative-treatment-connected-to-team-owner-ralph-wilsons-philanthropic-work-2642

Wow that's great. I never knew that.

Ralph got a bad rep late because of the bad teams, but was undeniably a great man. I think the last time I saw him they were naming a wing at the hospital after him because he funded it.