Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

Tyrod played a nice game. If you take back the drop in the end zone it was really good. I always judge a QB on a few things (because it's all that matters): TD to turnover, 3rd down and RZ efficiency. He played well in all of those areas. It wasn't perfect but it was a good and effective game. That was a solid "B" from me.

I would put in YPA, sacks and fumbles (although you may be including the latter in turnovers, many don't) as things that matter when judging QB play.

That said I agree - it was a solid, effective QB performance.

This is the Twilught Zone. The Bills won, the QB played a good game and people are STILL complaining!! Can't we just take it for what it is?!? I've never seen a fan base with so much disdain for their own team. It hasn't been easy to be a Bills fan for a while but there is no reason to not be happy when good things happen.

Preach it!

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you see "total QBR" in "the record books"? [whose record books?] Some do believe it is a "real stat". If by "record books" you mean "official NFL records" and "NFL record books" then I agree.

I don't like total QBR, personally, but I won't claim it isn't a "real stat" - there are plenty of "real stats" that get in official NFL records that are not meaningfully correlated with winning. QB passing yarding per game for example.

Anyway, drops are now part of total QBR, which is a real stat kept in real record books (although not official NFL record books)

I don't say it's a real stat because it's opinion based.

I would put in YPA, sacks and fumbles (although you may be including the latter in turnovers, many don't) as things that matter when judging QB play.

That said I agree - it was a solid, effective QB performance.

Preach it!

Personally, I use YPT (factors in passes, runs & sacks), TD%, and TO%. Then I weight it by how many attempts the QB had vs the average qb in the same timeframe. I pay attention to red zone & 3rd down efficiency, but I try not to weight stats based on them.

pfft. You've been here WAY longer than I have but even I know you're dreaming if you think it will ever change.

Just imagine if/when we actually become a contender again. "12-4, should have been 14-2, we're a weak team that's going nowhere."

I think if we are good the complaining will remain but it won't be as many people. They will get shouted down pretty easily. There are a lot of people here that want things to go wrong so that they can be proven right.

This is the Twilight Zone. The Bills won, the QB played a good game and people are STILL complaining!! Can't we just take it for what it is?!? I've never seen a fan base with so much disdain for their own team. It hasn't been easy to be a Bills fan for a while but there is no reason to not be happy when good things happen.

Agreed Kirby. QB play across the league has been bad this week and we don't need to pretend the Jets are a college defense - they're not even the worst in the league. The team that Tyrod came from, Flacco just had a 9/17 completion percentage for 121 yards. The Bengals defense isn't good. Russell Wilson and Eli Manning were hopeless yesterday. Brady looked like crap compared to his usual self. I could go on.

Personally, I use YPT (factors in passes, runs & sacks), TD%, and TO%. Then I weight it by how many attempts the QB had vs the average qb in the same timeframe. I pay attention to red zone & 3rd down efficiency, but I try not to weight stats based on them.

Interesting approach - how do you define "T" (touches I believe)?

As far as evaluating a QB as a player in today's NFL where a QB's ability to run can change the game, it seems as reasonable as any approach.

I don't entirely understand 3rd down efficiency as a QB stat as it's obviously impacted by the play calling from the sidelines.

Tyrod is who he is at this point. Pretty average at best QB. I don't ever see the Bills being a playoff team with him at QB.

And yet, KC has gone to the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years with Alex Smith calling signals. Riddle me that.

Which is why Reid took a gamble on Mahomes. Smith is usually just okay but not enough to be true Super Bowl contenders.

Yep.

This is the Twilight Zone. The Bills won, the QB played a good game and people are STILL complaining!! Can't we just take it for what it is?!? I've never seen a fan base with so much disdain for their own team. It hasn't been easy to be a Bills fan for a while but there is no reason to not be happy when good things happen.

No, you're conflating because you're an admitted TT guy.

Tyrod played good enough this week that if he had that game every week from here on, we would still look to move on.

Remember when you thought TT was a no-brainer over Alex Smith? And Alex Smith outdueled Brady against the NE defense, and TT quietly managed a game where Shady had like half of our total yards.

A big difference, IMO.

Tyrod is who he is at this point. Pretty average at best QB. I don't ever see the Bills being a playoff team with him at QB.

This:

TT game is not suited for today's NFL - it is suited for college....broken plays, throwing to wide open receivers, running. NFL QB's need to throw QUICKLY to spots that are not yet open - this is simply something that TT does not do.

I would love to see the Bills play a "TT" offense - let him run by design 10-12 times - spread things out....problem is - he won't survive 16+ games doing that - the coaches know that and don't design for it. Could get a similar type back up I guess...

Right now TT is a square peg in a round hole....

Edited by baskin

I don't say it's a real stat because it's opinion based.

Man, this is the f***ing Twilight Zone. I'm about to defend total QBR, and I hate total QBR! Some of you who've been here a while might recall extended arguments I had against it on this board a few years back.

I don't think total QBR is "opinion based", at least not by the common definition of "opinion" where the same word is used to describe Joe Blow from Kokomo's view on global warming and that of a scientific expert.

Total QBR does have some components that have a subjective element - such as dropped passes, and how much pressure a QB was under. They involve "opinion", but in a limited sense, from trained observers using specific criteria.

Then it gets fed into a proprietary algorithm involving 10000 lines of code. The computer doesn't have an opinion, but its value is only as good as the value of the parameters used to code.

My beefs with total QBR are twofold:

1) ESPN will not reveal the formulas and procedures used to calculate total QBR. This puts it in a different category than all the non-official (but real) statistics calculated by PFF, which likewise contain some subjective elements but where they will explain exactly what goes into their formula. Anything where the proponents refuse to explain exactly what they are doing has elements of hocus-pocus to me

2) It doesn't pass the "eyeball test" eg the famous Wk 5 2011 contest where Tim Tebow was rated higher than Aaron Rodgers. Seriously, man? They've revised it since then but one can still look at it week by week and say "hmmm, No."

"When you call me that, SMILE" -the Virginian

I'm smiling all day partner(p-day from work, pot o' coffee and some tailgate leftover sweets)!

Smiled all day yesterday too, cannot emphasize enough how perfect the weather was. Great grub, great company, and a W to take back to the parking lot for the postgame 'gate.

I am a firm believer that the Bills should draft their guy next year.

I strongly believe that they will, and it'll be interesting what happens to Taylor if they do. He's a legit mid-tier NFL starter, and there will be demand.

Man, this is the f***ing Twilight Zone. I'm about to defend total QBR, and I hate total QBR! Some of you who've been here a while might recall extended arguments I had against it on this board a few years back.

I don't think total QBR is "opinion based", at least not by the common definition of "opinion" where the same word is used to describe Joe Blow from Kokomo's view on global warming and that of a scientific expert.

Total QBR does have some components that have a subjective element - such as dropped passes, and how much pressure a QB was under. They involve "opinion", but in a limited sense, from trained observers using specific criteria.

Then it gets fed into a proprietary algorithm involving 10000 lines of code. The computer doesn't have an opinion, but its value is only as good as the value of the parameters used to code.

My beefs with total QBR are twofold:

1) ESPN will not reveal the formulas and procedures used to calculate total QBR. This puts it in a different category than all the non-official (but real) statistics calculated by PFF, which likewise contain some subjective elements but where they will explain exactly what goes into their formula. Anything where the proponents refuse to explain exactly what they are doing has elements of hocus-pocus to me

2) It doesn't pass the "eyeball test" eg the famous Wk 5 2011 contest where Tim Tebow was rated higher than Aaron Rodgers. Seriously, man? They've revised it since then but one can still look at it week by week and say "hmmm, No."

Yeah, I can't believe I'm defending it either, because like you I was against in the debates about it here years ago for the same reasons. I'm just saying that drops are a real thing and should be measured when assessing a qb.