Extreme Moneyball - Bills version

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731339-nfl-moneyball-is-hurting-the-browns-jets-bills-and-competitive-balance

"Up in Buffalo, the Bills braintrust of Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane is mixing Moneyball with the old-school NFL principle of bringin' in our own guys. The Bills looked competitive before ousting Watkins, Darby and others drafted by the last regime—not overpriced old veterans, mind you, but talented younger players coming off injuries or subpar years.

The McDermott-Beane cut-to-the-quick approach had unexpected consequences. Dealing Cardale Jones to the http://bleacherreport.com/los-angeles-chargers leftthemwith only rookie Nathan Peterman and uninspiring journeyman T.J. Yates behind starter Tyrod Taylor at quarterback. With Taylor and Yates still in the league's concussion protocol heading into Week 1, the Bills announced the signing of career backup Joe Webb on Monday.

Peterman may be the default quarterback of the future, but the Bills first must survive a year with no wide receivers, because Watkins is gone, Jordan Matthews (acquired as Watkins' quasi-replacement and ballast in the Darby trade) immediately got injured and Anquan Boldin retired, perhaps not seeing much point to staying on. Boldin issued a retirement statement about wanting to focus on non-football challenges, but a source told Ben Volin of the Boston Globe that Boldin might be interested in joining ..."

I can see the Browns and Jets being roasted for this approach - but IMHO it is too early to tell for the Bills. Belichik does what McBeane have just done all the time and people dont call it Extreme Moneyball.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is interesting to me is the Shift in Patriots Philosophy in recent years.

No longer are they accumulating picks, instead are starting to trade those picks to get NFL quality talent NOW. Where in the past they filled their roster with young players and purged the VETs a year early for high picks. Now they have dealt picks for NFL Players.

Couple things that may be driving that shift,

1. Brady's Age. Want to field the best team possible for his last couple runs

2. The shift in College, and players coming out more and more that are not ready because of the type of college game

3. Along with two, you have the CBA practice restrictions that take hurt teams from developing those college players fast enough.

Either way it is interesting that a team that made a living of grabbing future draft picks has changed their philosophy to use picks for current NFL players.

No longer are they accumulating picks, instead are starting to trade those picks to get NFL quality talent NOW. Where in the past they filled their roster with young players and purged the VETs a year early for high picks. Now they have dealt picks for NFL Players.

2. The shift in College, and players coming out more and more that are not ready because of the type of college game

3. Along with two, you have the CBA practice restrictions that take hurt teams from developing those college players fast enough.

Either way it is interesting that a team that made a living of grabbing future draft picks has changed their philosophy to use picks for current NFL players.

I think it is about 80% #1 Bradys age. I dont see Bill coaching after Brady. They seem to be going all in for the next year or 2. Get 3 titles in a row and off to the sunset goes both.

i think Pats are in win now mode. Belichick isn't dumb, he knows that Brady playing like this in his 40's isn't the norm and can end at any time. in your 40's you don't recover as quickly. i don't care what kind of green veggies and yoga he does, 1 good hit and Brady could be done for good

i think Pats are in win now mode. Belichick isn't dumb, he knows that Brady playing like this in his 40's isn't the norm and can end at any time. in your 40's you don't recover as quickly. i don't care what kind of green veggies and yoga he does, 1 good hit and Brady could be done for good

Yeah I think that is most of it, however KC is a team also that has traded future picks for players now.

I do think some of that is partly because of how the College game has evolved and the NFL practice restrictions hurting the development of the younger players initially.

If the article is criticizing the Cardale Jones trade i thin they are dead wrong, Cardale is a disaster at QB, miracle they got anything and Boldin retiring was a god send to us, over the hill to say the least. And yes he is a rookie but Jones has shown a lot at WR and that deserves to be mentioned in the "no wide receivers" sentence.

I want to see the team Boldin joins, that wil be good for laughs

If the article is criticizing the Cardale Jones trade i thin they are dead wrong, Cardale is a disaster at QB, miracle they got anything and Boldin retiring was a god send to us, over the hill to say the least. And yes he is a rookie but Jones has shown a lot at WR and that deserves to be mentioned in the "no wide receivers" sentence.

I want to see the team Boldin joins, that wil be good for laughs

I agree on Cardale and Zay.

I actually think Boldin would be at least serviceable, but that doesn't matter now. He is retired, and retired for good whether he likes it or not; he will not play for the Bills and they won't release his rights.

This is true. The pats realize that with equal money offered any player would rather play for the pats than another team. That's where the value is. They face little competition for good players who are not good enough to be franchised.

It's the same approach the Raiders took when McKenzie took over. Clean up the salary cap and load up on highly drafted young players. McKenzie looks brilliant because he found Carr. McBeane will go as far as the QB they find. If Kizer works for the Browns or they find a QB soon, they'll be set up nice, if not and Wentz / Trubisky / Watson develop, it won't be long before "trusting the process" turns into "LOOK WHAT WE COULD HAVE HAD!". Mahomes puts our braintrust in a similar situation.

the chances of a 5th, 6th or 7th round draft choice making the pats or steelers roster are very slim.

turning those picks in for former 1st or 2nd round so called "bust" picks from a struggling team makes a lot of sense.

those same players would not get to them on waivers.

FWIW, just recently saw on NFL Films the Top 10 Worst teams of all time. At #8 were the Jimmy Johnson Dallas Cowboys. They fired Tom Landry and brought in a supposed up and coming coach. First thing he did was clean house of previous regime players. Then he traded his best player for a boatload of picks. Then he drafted his QB the following year and his team through the draft into a dynasty. Sound familiar? The formula is there and proven, we can only hope the results are the same.

Your lips to God's ears.

You hate to see that kind of thing happen, but personally I would love to see that happen.