PFF names EJ Gaines top CB of preseason

YoloinOhio

Gaines, absolutely is a zone CB. Give him a steady diet of man coverage responsibility and he going to get toasted because he lacks the physical skill set. There are some receivers he simply will not match up well with in man coverage. Zone coverage is more mental than man coverage is. Gaines knows what to do. He's never out of position and always handles his responsibilities well.

It's understandable but still funny to me how prevalent that is, either way, in the NFL for CBs.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaines, absolutely is a zone CB. Give him a steady diet of man coverage responsibility and he going to get toasted because he lacks the physical skill set. There are some receivers he simply will not match up well with in man coverage. Zone coverage is more mental than man coverage is. Gaines knows what to do. He's never out of position and always handles his responsibilities well.

the funny thing is a good man cover corner can cover about any wr. A good man corner is better than a great zone cornrr

the funny thing is a good man cover corner can cover about any wr. A goYood man corner is better than a great zone cornrr

You are right that good cover CBs are more valuable that zone cover CBs but they are also more difficult to find and expensive. If you are looking to spread out your cap resources a zone system might be a better way to go.

He did have a great rookie year so this isn't "all of a sudden"

They traded for him for a reason,he fits the scheme well.

I think Micah said it best when he mentioned the corners are where they need to and should be which makes his job easier.

the funny thing is a good man cover corner can cover about any wr. A good man corner is better than a great zone cornrr

I dunno. Was Leodis a good man cover corner? There are good man corners who lack ball skills, I'm not sure they're "better" or more valuable than a great zone corner who generates INTs...

I dunno. Was Leodis a good man cover corner? There are good man corners who lack ball skills, I'm not sure they're "better" or more valuable than a great zone corner who generates INTs...

leodis was nothing more than an exceptional athlete. If he had hands he would have been a wide receiver. If he had brains a safety. Size a linebacker.

He was one of the best athletes the bills have had

You are right that good cover CBs are more valuable that zone cover CBs but they are also more difficult to find and expensive. If you are looking to spread out your cap resources a zone system might be a better way to go.

agreed. One of the most interesting pairs I've seen is cromartie and Revis. I always wanted them to have a zone guy like Robey or Norman to play with them. Paired with a strong safety that can pound it and any free safety worth a damn it'd be amazing to see

You're drunk. :lol:

I think I can speak for the board in saying that they all appreciate you just interjecting drunken ramblings trying to get under my skin rather than posting something to discuss.

If it keeps you from doing your usual work.......like attacking people who post good inside information.......I guess I can take one for the team. :thumbsup::lol:

I got you..........under my skin....... :beer:

:lol:

We're set at Corner as long as there are no injuries!

You're drunk. :lol:

I think I can speak for the board in saying that they all appreciate you just interjecting drunken ramblings trying to get under my skin rather than posting something to discuss.

If it keeps you from doing your usual work.......like attacking people who post good inside information.......I guess I can take one for the team. :thumbsup::lol:

I got you..........under my skin....... :beer:

Badol, If you could sing your responses you would sometimes be better off than with your warrior jousts. :D

ebal, If you nightly drink a bottle of wine each night I salute you for your capacity. If I have a glass of red vino I immediately fall asleep and snore like a slovenly street wino. :thumbsup:

ebal, If you nightly drink a bottle of wine each night I salute you for your capacity. If I have a glass of red vino I immediately fall asleep and snore like a slovenly street wino. :thumbsup:

John, please don't feed that buffoon. I said I share a bottle with my wife. BADOL is working the time-tested strategy of repeating something enough that those who don't know any better will start to believe it's true.

Sad, really. It's a shame he doesn't stick to football rather than trying (and failing) to be the smartest guy in the room.

leodis was nothing more than an exceptional athlete. If he had hands he would have been a wide receiver. If he had brains a safety. Size a linebacker.

He was one of the best athletes the bills have had

Agreed. Good take. He was a spectacular quick-twitch athlete but dumb as a post.

John, please don't feed that buffoon. I said I share a bottle with my wife. BADOL is working the time-tested strategy of repeating something enough that those who don't know any better will start to believe it's true.

Sad, really. It's a shame he doesn't stick to football rather than trying (and failing) to be the smartest guy in the room.

Let me ask a relevant question? How big is the bottle that you share? :bag:

Don't let him or anyone else rile you up. It's all part of the at times rough neighborhood. No one is spared the darts. You should have seen how I was abused when I defended Brady and the Pats during the deflategate saga. Still righteously believe that on I was on the right side.