Doug Flutie- Lead the Charge?

Another Fan

They tried to replace him with Rob Johnson every chance they got. He signed with San Diego and they gave him a real shot as the #1 guy. He probably feels like more of a Charger than a Bill. Plus he's a huge Pats fan. We haven't made the playoffs since and the Pats went from a terrible franchise to one of the best in all of sports in that same time period. Coincidence? I think he cursed us

No. The Bills cursed themselves with poor GM and coach hires.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They tried to replace him with Rob Johnson every chance they got. He signed with San Diego and they gave him a real shot as the #1 guy. He probably feels like more of a Charger than a Bill. Plus he's a huge Pats fan. We haven't made the playoffs since and the Pats went from a terrible franchise to one of the best in all of sports in that same time period. Coincidence? I think he cursed us

He blew.

All these kids are claiming Flutie was a douche yet they fail miserably to give one confirmed example. Pretty amusing.

I used to have access to the tunnel after games years ago. Flutie was the only player to have a member of security bring his car down to him when it was time to leave, so he could avoid the fans waiting for autographs and pictures.

Flutie does not consider himself a Bill and is an open supporter of the Patriots. He doesn't feel like he got a fair chance here and can you blame him? I doubt we get him to lead the charge any time soon. He's busy surfing and doing Heisman commercials

Just the fact that he's an open supporter of the Pats is enough to be a DQ for me. He was pretty good to ok here, but I'll pass. It's a fact that he is generally thought of as one of the better QBs to wear a Bills uni since the Kelly era. That is a sad reflection of the management's ineptitude since that time.

All these kids are claiming Flutie was a douche yet they fail miserably to give one confirmed example. Pretty amusing.

I agree. I find the whole thing pretty amusing. People are calling the guy a douche like they actually know the guy and arguing over who the best QB has been since Kelly. for the most part, all we get to see of players are their "Football personalities" we don't get to know these guys personally and then they have the gull to call a guy a douche. As for who the best QB has been, statistics really don't mean squat. It's wins and losses that matter, and the FACT is he won MORE games than any other QB we have had in a single season. Was he a douche? maybe! The guy had talent and he was a gamer. What he didn't have was the size to go with that talent, but he still fought like hell to make it work, regardless of what team he was on. I have never met Doug, and I probably never will, but given some of the personal stuff they guy has gone through, the guy probably deserves a break on the douche-o-meter that everyone measuring him to. For f**k sake, let it go people. it was 15 years ago.

Edited by BigPappy

I used to have access to the tunnel after games years ago. Flutie was the only player to have a member of security bring his car down to him when it was time to leave, so he could avoid the fans waiting for autographs and pictures.

Only thing I can say to defend this is back in his hay day here he would have gotten absolutely mobbed by fans. Plus he wasn't the biggest guy to begin with so maybe he was afraid of being trampled

Really? Because my very first interaction with him was in Fredonia looking for an autograph. I called out his name as he was walking to the dorms and he walked up to the makeshift fence and signed for me and my family.

And when the Bills moved to Fisher - I saw him signing a lot of autographs there too.

Not saying you're wrong. But it definitely flies in the face of what i've seen and experienced from Doug.

I would love to see this happen.

Reverse the curse!!!

Funny, when TC was at Fredonia, he was one of the few players to sign all autographs all the way down the fence sometimes even signing more than one item per person

CBF

Got that right. Slow at reading defenses so he gets hammered in the backfield. Our offense had so many 3 and outs with him as qb it was like watching

paint dry. Pathetic.

My favorite Johnson game I attended was when he left the Bills and signed with the Redskins in 2003; he was backing up the immortal Patrick Ramsey who got hurt and Johnson came in for one series and guess what happened on 3rd down? I you guessed that he was sacked for a 6 yrd loss you are correct!

I watched him play. Every game he played as a Bill. Loved the D, Flutie was ok. Hated the personality, he thought he was better than his play said he was. He was a QB that every game I watched him play I wanted to replace with someone better.

100% spot on, you wil get dumped on here but I agree. He helped fracture the lockerroom and Wade was too weak to reign him in. His best year with the Bills he had 3,171 yd, 55% completion, 19 tds, 16 ints, i guess impressive by Bills standards.

100% spot on, you wil get dumped on here but I agree. He helped fracture the lockerroom and Wade was too weak to reign him in. His best year with the Bills he had 3,171 yd, 55% completion, 19 tds, 16 ints, i guess impressive by Bills standards.

I hear this story time and time again around here. I'm not a Flutie fanboy. I simply view him as the guy who gave us the best chance to win at the time. How exactly did he "fracture the locker room"?

Statistically he was no better than a middle of the pack QB. He was still a better option than Johnson. Every QB stat was unimpressive in the late 90's when compared to today's numbers.

I hear this story time and time again around here. I'm not a Flutie fanboy. I simply view him as the guy who gave us the best chance to win at the time. How exactly did he "fracture the locker room"?

It's one of those things where if there's smoke there's fire. Different accounts pointing to basically the same thing. The most famous was Gleason's article in 2001 - it's hard to find on the net still - but copied here https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/90671-you-gotta-love-the-flutie-magic/page-18?do=findComment&comment=1467198

It's one of those things where if there's smoke there's fire. Different accounts pointing to basically the same thing. The most famous was Gleason's article in 2001 - it's hard to find on the net still - but copied here https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/90671-you-gotta-love-the-flutie-magic/page-18?do=findComment&comment=1467198

Wow, I never read this before but here were a lot of other indications and it was well known half the Bills (like Bruce Smith) were for Flutie, other half for R Johson. Again Wade deserves a lot of blame, he couldnt keep it under control. I recall the Music City Miracle game, little Dougie pouted the entire game sitting on the bench, didn't stand and help R Johnson at all. As that article said, it was more about Doug Flutie than the Bills. Flutie was QBing a lot that year, i am sure there are things he saw and could have helped, he should have acted like a pro, not a spoiled brat.

Flutie also worked the press, he worked jim Rome and he eat it up, Flutie was always mocking R Johnson for being a, well lets say alternative life style guy from CA with a bandanna, the press picked up on it so much there is even a youtube video where a respected Bills reporter mocks Johnson about the Bandanna saying Johnson was a poor leader, Johnson probably was, he apparently never stood up for himself and had the appearance of being very weak.

Both Johnson and Wade were weak imo and Doug ran all over them. That is on reason why I think Wade was a very poor HC which a lot of people disagree with, great DC, poor HC. Wade also let Jerry Jones run all over him in Dallas.

Wow, I never read this before but here were a lot of other indications and it was well known half the Bills (like Bruce Smith) were for Flutie, other half for R Johson. Again Wade deserves a lot of blame, he couldnt keep it under control. I recall the Music City Miracle game, little Dougie pouted the entire game sitting on the bench, didn't stand and help R Johnson at all. As that article said, it was more about Doug Flutie than the Bills. Flutie was QBing a lot that year, i am sure there are things he saw and could have helped, he should have acted like a pro, not a spoiled brat.

Flutie also worked the press, he worked jim Rome and he eat it up, Flutie was always mocking R Johnson for being a, well lets say alternative life style guy from CA with a bandanna, the press picked up on it so much there is even a youtube video where a respected Bills reporter mocks Johnson about the Bandanna saying Johnson was a poor leader, Johnson probably was, he apparently never stood up for himself and had the appearance of being very weak.

Both Johnson and Wade were weak imo and Doug ran all over them. That is on reason why I think Wade was a very poor HC which a lot of people disagree with, great DC, poor HC. Wade also let Jerry Jones run all over him in Dallas.

It would be senseless to make the arguement that Flutie wasn't a jerk. I could make the argument that it should have never gotten to be an issue. What franchise benches their starting QB before a playoff game? There are just too many potential problems with that. Unfortunately they all came to be. When you bench your starting QB before a playoff game, the risk of dividing your team is present. Flutie didn't destroy this team during the RJ era. Going with the lesser QB did.

It isn't so much the Miami game to me. He played well in that game which was before he had been neutralized. That fumble at the end could have happened to anyone.

The following season he blew chunks and could not move the ball against even the weakest of opponents in the second half of the year.

Is this Two Bills Drive I'm reading? Since when are we this understanding and forgiving with any player? Flutie cost us a playoff win...A PLAYOFF WIN!!! And you're like "it could happen to anyone???" Wow.

It would be senseless to make the arguement that Flutie wasn't a jerk. I could make the argument that it should have never gotten to be an issue. What franchise benches their starting QB before a playoff game? There are just too many potential problems with that. Unfortunately they all came to be. When you bench your starting QB before a playoff game, the risk of dividing your team is present. Flutie didn't destroy this team during the RJ era. Going with the lesser QB did.

Thanks Ralph.