Hurricane Irma General: Potential NFL Impacts (Updated!)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlotte is way inland. Even if the hurricane hit NC directly, it would just be rain, if anything, there. No chance game isn't played in charlotte.

When Hugo hit in '89 I was at the in-laws on the south side of Charlotte. One tree on my car, another in the kitchen. They went 4 weeks without power and 5-6 weeks without water. Don't underestimate these storms.

When Hugo hit in '89 I was at the in-laws on the south side of Charlotte. One tree on my car, another in the kitchen. They went 4 weeks without power and 5-6 weeks without water. Don't underestimate these storms.

It would be different if it was an inland track hitting sat the nc/SC line and move inland. The track isn't doing that.

If it goes much of the length of Florida and goes ashore it will he a borderline TS^hurticane that runs parallel with voadt. Charlotte gets rain but not enough to cause a site cgamge.

If this goes into the gulf then more land to weaken it and it's jut a rain event like friday/saturday with harvey. Sure some area will flood but not enough t cause a game to be postponed.

Yes - I guess never say never - but for sure that was an extremely rare occurrence for that area.. Someone else mentioned Fran - I was in Raleigh (Cary) for that (what was left of the eye went right over my house), and that was another rare set of events. Most of the damage/power outage was due to there being so much rain in the area in the weeks before Fran came - a ton of the loblolly pines with shallow root systems (which are everywhere) blew down in winds that normally would not have caused such major issues that far inland (and with the ground already saturated there was nowhere for all the rainfall to go).

Edited by stevewin

It would be different if it was an inland track hitting sat the nc/SC line and move inland. The track isn't doing that.

If it goes much of the length of Florida and goes ashore it will he a borderline TS^hurticane that runs parallel with voadt. Charlotte gets rain but not enough to cause a site cgamge.

If this goes into the gulf then more land to weaken it and it's jut a rain event like friday/saturday with harvey. Sure some area will flood but not enough t cause a game to be postponed.

I've spent the last 30+ years tracking these things every season due to our locations. My point is it all depends upon the track, and it's too soon to have much confidence in that. To say that Charlotte is inland and therefore not vulnerable is incorrect. Yes, Hugo was almost the worst case for Charlotte having come ashore at Charleston, SC. But it doesn't need to be that devastating to still be....devastating.

Despite all the modeling (which has gotten better over the years), these things just do such crazy stuff and you just never know....

Yes - I guess never say never - but for sure that was an extremely rare occurrence for that area.. Someone else mentioned Fran - I was in Raleigh (Cary) for that (what was left of the eye went right over my house), and that was another rare set of events. Most of the damage/power outage was due to there being so much rain in the area in the weeks before Fran came - a ton of the loblolly pines with shallow root systems (which are everywhere) blew down in winds that normally would not have caused such major issues that far inland (and with the ground already saturated there was nowhere for all the rainfall to go).

Yep, never say never is my point.

I had a buddy have the eye go over his house in Charleston. That must have been surreal! He'd get chills telling about that. NASTY, then dead calm, then NASTY in the other direction!

We had pines land on our house in FL with a tropical storm, the ground was just so saturated. The insurance company paid $4,000 for THAT slope of the roof, but you couldn't match the roof tiles any more and WE had to write the check for the OTHER $24,000! Some insurance!

Irma does look to be bad. I live in PR which is scheduled to get rocked tomorrow afternoon - Thursday afternoon. State of emergency already declared. Power authority says power could be out for weeks/months!!!

I evacuated to south florida for the week. And then ditching South Florida on Friday to come up to the home opener. I am one step ahead of this one. However, I am nervous for my house/possessions and friends down there. I'll provide the local PR update after I hear what damage has been done.

🙏☝️ for you and yours.

I've spent the last 30+ years tracking these things every season due to our locations. My point is it all depends upon the track, and it's too soon to have much confidence in that. To say that Charlotte is inland and therefore not vulnerable is incorrect. Yes, Hugo was almost the worst case for Charlotte having come ashore at Charleston, SC. But it doesn't need to be that devastating to still be....devastating.

Despite all the modeling (which has gotten better over the years), these things just do such crazy stuff and you just never know....

Yep, never say never is my point.

I had a buddy have the eye go over his house in Charleston. That must have been surreal! He'd get chills telling about that. NASTY, then dead calm, then NASTY in the other direction!

This would be hurricane number eight for me, but after having the eye of Wilma pass over us I vowed to never stay for anything over a 2, and besides I'd probably miss the game. So I'm outa here.

No weather event should be taken lightly but I had no idea what a Cat 4 hurricane could do 50 miles inland till Katrina left us dark and thirsty for a month. Now we're in north east Alabama and depending on which way this thing goes over the next couple of days I'm going to start prepping. Don't care if the neighbors think I'm nuts.

when Fran came thru Raleigh it was still a category 3 hurricane. Never saw that much destruction in my life. My in laws neighborhood 1 of 2 houses had significant roof and water damage. We were lucky just Rees all around our exists and yard had to cut our way out of the house.

Irma does look to be bad. I live in PR which is scheduled to get rocked tomorrow afternoon - Thursday afternoon. State of emergency already declared. Power authority says power could be out for weeks/months!!!

I evacuated to south florida for the week. And then ditching South Florida on Friday to come up to the home opener. I am one step ahead of this one. However, I am nervous for my house/possessions and friends down there. I'll provide the local PR update after I hear what damage has been done.

Tough one. I'll keep a thought for you.

No weather event should be taken lightly but I had no idea what a Cat 4 hurricane could do 50 miles inland till Katrina left us dark and thirsty for a month. Now we're in north east Alabama and depending on which way this thing goes over the next couple of days I'm going to start prepping. Don't care if the neighbors think I'm nuts.

Any neighbors that laugh at you for being ready can be locked out and laughed at while you enjoy all your beer, bourbon, and Doritos. And Alabama you say?... there must be firearms, am I right?

90% of the time they do sane stuff, and it's not too hard to look at a surface map and get a general idea of what's possible.

The surface map this time is pretty straightforward...big cold front coming down from Alberta will keep Irma heading a point north of west until the Keys. It's not going to do anything wacky like jitterbug back and forth like Harvey, or do a mid-ocean loop like Jeanne in 2004, or have an epileptic seizure like Ophlelia in 2005 This is most comparable to Hurricane Georges.

90% of the time they do sane stuff, and it's not too hard to look at a surface map and get a general idea of what's possible.

The surface map this time is pretty straightforward...big cold front coming down from Alberta will keep Irma heading a point north of west until the Keys. It's not going to do anything wacky like jitterbug back and forth like Harvey, or do a mid-ocean loop like Jeanne in 2004, or have an epileptic seizure like Ophlelia in 2005 This is most comparable to Hurricane Georges.

Yeah, you usually have a fairly good idea, but I'm not gambling that 10% that a strom like Irma is going to cooperate. I've seen some odd, unexpected turns, speeding up, slowing down, etc. and I'm not messing with any Cat 4-5 storms! (Not too crazy about a 3 either, 1's and 2's we hunkered down just fine.) It's too hard to get out at the last minute.