is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no way he's making that much on the practice squad.

Especially since nobody wanted him. :rolleyes:

Now way DEN lets him go to another team with that big of an investment. Good for him and the Broncos.

@MikeKlis

Broncos signing ex-Bills/Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams to practice squad. Per @RapSheet Williams getting $510K, or near $540K min. #9sports

That is a great situation for him imo! I feel like their RBs are always hurt and he has a chance to get called up. Giving him that much $$ imo decreases the chances of other teams sniffing around to sign him.

Yep, he's being paid about what a typical third string RB makes. That's about where I'd value him.

Tolbert gets the vet minimum. That's overpaying?

Are they paying more for a journeyman RB who hasn't had any semblance of success in the past 3 or 4 years than they would have paid a guy on a rookie contract?

Tolbert had something like 3.1 YPC last season, he is overweight and had about one good season in his entire career. What's the smarter move? Pay the younger guy less money knowing that at minimum he can duplicate the vets production and at best he can be #1 RB after Shady goes to bed?

Are they paying more for a journeyman RB who hasn't had any semblance of success in the past 3 or 4 years than they would have paid a guy on a rookie contract?

Tolbert had something like 3.1 YPC last season, he is overweight and had about one good season in his entire career. What's the smarter move? Pay the younger guy less money knowing that at minimum he can duplicate the vets production and at best he can be #1 RB after Shady goes to bed?

Tolbert is a better pass blocker, better run blocker, can fill in at fullback and even flashed more in the training camp practices I saw than Williams.

Yeah much better value for the team than say over paying an aging vet like Tolbert.

Better value while on the PS?

I'm guessing that at $500,000 they will eventually bring him off the PS.

I think he's a serviceable RB that if given the opportunity could do about what you typically see out of your every day back up RB. If he had made our team and had been the primary backup I'd been perfectly ok with it, but the fact that he didn't make it and some of our fans went apoplectic over his release and that no team decided to pick him up off of waivers just goes to show you that typically fans views of back up players aren't normally inline with actual NFL evaluators.

That's not the calculation. We are talking about two different shaped pegs.

JWill is more of the sort of back that you expect basically just run the football. Tolbert is more of a short yardage guy, who is a better receiver, blocker and special teamer. We aren't talking about Tolbert fulfilling the same roles that Jwill would have had, but more that the calculation the Bills made was that between the RB stable they currently have that they didn't believe there would be much if any of a drop off in overall carrying skills and more value with the guys they chose in blocking, receiving and special teams.

Maybe they made the wrong decision, but that was the calculation. I happen to think they could be right as I don't see much of a difference typically from your 30th ranked RB's in this league to your 200th ranked ones when it comes to carrying the ball.

It's complete nonsense. Hyperbolic nonsense generated by a segment of the fanbase that is still throwing a tantrum over the Watkins trade. Williams is such a "talent" that 31 other teams are debating if he is worth a slot on their practice squad right now. We're going to pretend that when Shady goes down this guy's 3.5 YPC would save the season? The Detroit 3rd-string defense isn't on the schedule.

This thread should be stickied for posterity, it might be the pinnacle of irrational behavior on TSW.

Hyperbolic nonsense?

We let go of:

Gilmore

Watkins

Woods

Ragland

Darby

J. Williams

Argue the talent level if you want but we replaced them with very little.

Better value while on the PS?

I'm guessing that at $500,000 they will eventually bring him off the PS.

I think he's a serviceable RB that if given the opportunity could do about what you typically see out of your every day back up RB. If he had made our team and had been the primary backup I'd been perfectly ok with it, but the fact that he didn't make it and some of our fans went apoplectic over his release and that no team decided to pick him up off of waivers just goes to show you that typically fans views of back up players aren't normally inline with actual NFL evaluators.

How do you suppose those same NFL evaluators would react if Mike Tolbert was walking the mean streets of free agency? It makes zero sense to keep him over a younger guy with potential. This all but ensures the Bills will be wasting draft picks on a RB because they don't even have a younger pair of legs on the roster.

How do you suppose those same NFL evaluators would react if Mike Tolbert was walking the mean streets of free agency? It makes zero sense to keep him over a younger guy with potential. This all but ensures the Bills will be wasting draft picks on a RB because they don't even have a younger pair of legs on the roster.

I answered this with my previous post. The problem is that you are viewing this through the wrong lens, at least from the perspective of this regime.

Also, I don't share your view that he was someone with any real differentiating "potential". I see him as a JAG. Which isn't a bad thing, every team needs quite a few of them, but that's how I saw him.

Edited by Magox