is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

Aren't you witty?

Easy to post tweets and other peoples thoughts though maybe I should just do that with a majority of my Message board posts

I've noticed something. People who post wild rumors with no factual basis tend not to like it when they are reminded of those posts.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have to assume the Bills tried to trade him before releasing him. No takers.

Then they placed him on waivers. No takers.

It seems like the NFL doesn't view JW quite as positively as most Bills fans.

Or their rosters are pretty set for the first game in 5 days. But it is irrelevant because he was the clear 2nd string RB for the Bills. He was much needed depth at RB on a run heavy team.

Or their rosters are pretty set for the first game in 5 days. But it is irrelevant because he was the clear 2nd string RB for the Bills. He was much needed depth at RB on a run heavy team.

"Clear #2"? Do you have some inside source at OBD who told you that? I don't believe I ever heard that said but I could be wrong. Post the link.

Clear to everyone, it seems, but those who actually make the decisions. Go figure.

I've noticed something. People who post wild rumors with no factual basis tend not to like it when they are reminded of those posts.

Have you noticed that I even said in the Kyle Williams thread, that is could be, and was speculating, and they were MY THOUGHTs. Also notice in this one I said MAKES ME WONDER.

Its ok though it must be real boring in life not to have an individual thought and wait for everything to be verified 100% by others before you talk about something.

Edited by MAJBobby

He was cut because he is a backup that sucks on special teams. McD' even talked about the third phase of the game, and how the other RBs that made it showed that versatility. No doubt the kid would have made a decent NFL backup this season, but I guess our new coaches want multi purposed players everywhere.

1. Backup QB can play WR and ST
  2. Backup HBs can play either FB or ST
  3. Starting FB can play TE and ST
  4. All of our linemen can play multiple positions
  5. Our DE's have experience as rushing LBs
  6. Our DT's have experience as 3-4 DE's
  7. All of our LB's can play ST, and one has experience as a rusher
  8. Looks like most of our CBs can play in the slot
  9. Our safeties can play either slot or CB

From top to bottom it looks like our coach and GM want interchangeable talent for all of the depth on their roster. Every backup has a dual purpose on this team, so it only makes sense that a backup without a second purpose was cut.

I don't care what he would have been paid. The market is the market. Its not like this team is loaded with stars that will break the bank; the QBs make peanuts. There are something like 29 players on the current edition that weren't here in '16. Just six Whaley picks remain and 3 of those are from 2016 just a year ago. It would probably be 5 if trading / cutting Dareus was financial feasible. If that's not a teardown I'm not sure what would qualify.

You should care what he would have been paid. You can't spend $12M/year on a guy and have him produce at the level Sammy has the past 3 years.

He would've had a big year. And that new rookie QB next year sure could use a WR like Watkins.

As boatdrinks said, trading a 29 YO RB with a lot of mileage is a no brainer over a 24 YO stud WR.

Just because you think he would have had a big year, it doesn't mean he would have. And if the stud WR can't stay healthy, he's not that much of a stud, is he?

It's truly amazing how a thread about the fate of a released backup RB (who has yet to be picked up) has transgressed into a few people who would have traded Shady (1623 yards from scrimmage in 2016) instead of Watkins (430 yards from scrimmage in 2016). At least it took 46 pages to get there...

Crazy, right?

They won 7 games last year despite a poor head coach and defensive coaching staff because they faced one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and the offensive system fit the personnel (quarterback) extremely well. Plus the OLine and Shady stayed relatively healthy for most of the (if not the entire) season.

Going into this season they were forced to say goodbye to a top corner (Gilmore) and their second-best wide receiver (Woods) because of the poor salary cap management.

They weren't forced. They chose to let the guys walk. Both got sorely overpaid.

Did you watch preseason at all?

in the Gaines thread it is discussed that preseason performance doesn't

matter. Meaningless because it's against non starters and no game planning. Only regular season performance matters. Guess that applies here as well.

But he also was playing way too much in the 4th preseason game to be considered the clear #2.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He was cut because he is a backup that sucks on special teams. McD' even talked about the third phase of the game, and how the other RBs that made it showed that versatility. No doubt the kid would have made a decent NFL backup this season, but I guess our new coaches want multi purposed players everywhere.

1. Backup QB can play WR and ST
  2. Backup HBs can play either FB or ST
  3. Starting FB can play TE and ST
  4. All of our linemen can play multiple positions
  5. Our DE's have experience as rushing LBs
  6. Our DT's have experience as 3-4 DE's
  7. All of our LB's can play ST, and one has experience as a rusher
  8. Looks like most of our CBs can play in the slot
  9. Our safeties can play either slot or CB

From top to bottom it looks like our coach and GM want interchangeable talent for all of the depth on their roster. Every backup has a dual purpose on this team, so it only makes sense that a backup without a second purpose was cut.

Until your #1 RB sustains an injury that keeps him out.

Until your #1 RB sustains an injury that keeps him out.

That's the purpose, right? If a guy becomes injured than we have multiple guys to cover for ST duties. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with their decision, just making a logical guess at what their thought process was.

I'd prefer to have a guy with a closer skillset to Shady be the backup, and limit him on special teams play (primarily as a situational returner). But still, I'd like to have versatility with him as well.

I am actually really surprised there was not a claim put in for a Young RB on a 5th round Rookie Deal.

Specially a team like KC that has nothing in that backfield right now, makes me wonder more and more now if he is facing a suspension.

Have you learned a lesson from all this?

in the Gaines thread it is discussed that preseason performance doesn't

matter. Meaningless because it's against non starters and no game planning. Only regular season performance matters. Guess that applies here as well.

But he also was playing way too much in the 4th preseason game to be considered the clear #2.

Maybe in the 4th game, they were at the point they thought they would cut him. He just seemed to be the "go to" guy after Shady for the 1st 2 games and he did very well in that role.

Have you learned a lesson from all this?

Yep I have.

You cannot have an opinion and post said opinion on this site, but then again I knew that from my TT postings, I should just start being a mindless poster and posting verified Tweets

That's the purpose, right? If a guy becomes injured than we have multiple guys to cover for ST duties. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with their decision, just making a logical guess at what their thought process was.

I'd prefer to have a guy with a closer skillset to Shady be the backup, and limit him on special teams play (primarily as a situational returner). But still, I'd like to have versatility with him as well.

You are correct as McDermott intimated in his presser yesterday that it came down to ST considerations.