is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

I thought this quote was interesting

"What McDermott and Beane are interested in is putting together a team construct that leaves no one wondering how hard the man next to him is going to work during the practice week. There will be no doubt that each and every one of the 11 players on the field know their assignment on every single snap.

And that when the team is dealt a bad hand on or off the field, they won't fold."

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Roster-turnover-a-necessary-part-of-McDermotts-process/7c778037-3904-4090-aa63-f4e4126c0165

Maybe it's just a case of certain players don't have the dedication and commitment that the new regime is trying to instill, and even though they may be talented, it's not worth compromising the integrity of what they are trying to do. So, poof, they are gone.

I'm good with that and since they were going nowhere special this year anyway, I'm fine with letting it play out.

You nailed it. Gotta change the 'traditional' Buffalo Bills way of doing things.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought this quote was interesting

"What McDermott and Beane are interested in is putting together a team construct that leaves no one wondering how hard the man next to him is going to work during the practice week. There will be no doubt that each and every one of the 11 players on the field know their assignment on every single snap.

And that when the team is dealt a bad hand on or off the field, they won't fold."

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Roster-turnover-a-necessary-part-of-McDermotts-process/7c778037-3904-4090-aa63-f4e4126c0165

Maybe it's just a case of certain players don't have the dedication and commitment that the new regime is trying to instill, and even though they may be talented, it's not worth compromising the integrity of what they are trying to do. So, poof, they are gone.

I'm good with that and since they were going nowhere special this year anyway, I'm fine with letting it play out.

Half the board doesn't want to listen to this stuff. After so many years of losing and hearing certain cliches from new coaches promising change, it falls on deaf ears from many Bills fans. Which is unfair to the new incoming regimes because they pay for the past sins of the failed promises from the previous ones, which is certainly understandable.

The good news with McD/Beane is that they have a clear mandate from the Pegulas to rip the roots out of this failing franchise and to completely retool it the way they see fit. They are completely conscience of the unpopularity from part of the fanbase of some of the moves they've made. What's inspiring to me is their confidence to make these moves knowing the potential blowback from the fans. And that everything that I've read and observed from them they are very detailed oriented and prepared.

Next year will define their future for the Bills. With all those draft picks and all the cap room they are freeing up, they know that if they are going to be successful its going to be about the evaluations and decisions they make leading up to the draft and the offseason.

I'm still confused as to how a player goes from #2 on the depth chart to not good enough to play in the NFL in the eyes of our front office (and our expert fans). Seems like we skipped a few steps along the way. Not sure why it takes until September to determine whether hes the heir apparent to a possible hall of fame back or he should sell Kias.

And what does that say about #s 3, 4, 5, and 6 on our massive RB depth chart that they spent all offseason playing catch up to a guy who apparently isn't an NFL caliber talent? Inspiring stuff.

Did Gilislie not go through the exact same thing a year or so ago? Signed, cut, not claimed, and then re-signed?

My takeaway is that being the 33rd best RB in the league is probably not that big a spread to being the 133rd best.

So a guy unfit to play in the NFL spent all offseason #2 on our depth chart and it took McD and Beane until 10 days before the opener to figure this out and you two feel that because every other team in the NFL already knew he was a bum, which is why they all passed on him in the waiver claim, that this vindicates the decision making of our FO? That is interesting.

Keep spillin' the whine

So a guy unfit to play in the NFL spent all offseason #2 on our depth chart and it took McD and Beane until 10 days before the opener to figure this out and you two feel that because every other team in the NFL already knew he was a bum, which is why they all passed on him in the waiver claim, that this vindicates the decision making of our FO? That is interesting.

Who said he was #2 on our depth chart the whole time? The third game he didn't play. The fourth game Williams and Banyard switched every other drive.

I'm still confused as to how a player goes from #2 on the depth chart to not good enough to play in the NFL in the eyes of our front office (and our expert fans). Seems like we skipped a few steps along the way. Not sure why it takes until September to determine whether hes the heir apparent to a possible hall of fame back or he should sell Kias.

And what does that say about #s 3, 4, 5, and 6 on our massive RB depth chart that they spent all offseason playing catch up to a guy who apparently isn't an NFL caliber talent? Inspiring stuff.

dramaqn.jpg

Who said he was #2 on our depth chart the whole time? The third game he didn't play. The fourth game Williams and Banyard switched every other drive.

in the early August depth chart the team had to release before the 1st preseason game, he was listed behind McCoy. They didn't have to release anything after that, and today McD said it's RBBC behind McCoy and they each are different types of backs.

I don't recall anyone stating he was crowed #2. If anything, folks (i.e. fans) simply handed him the job and then were shocked that it didn't happen. Doubtful McD/Beane every made that assumption.

that is actually Urban Meyer's philosophy of team building as well

So.....get your pick of the top 200 recruits.......then sort out who you want? :lol:

When he was just at a top 15 school for recruiting.........re-building at Florida.......he mostly collected criminals to get ahead........not that Aaron Hernandez wasn't a great scheme fit. :flirt:

Those were some of the shadiest recruiting classes EVER.

McDermott's situation is a little different than Meyers right now.........easier to make the system work when you get the pick of the litter of talent to start with.

There are reasons for everything. But are you saying they are making decisions to get worse? Because it seems that way.

I think there are two factors at work. First, this season is not management's priority. No matter how much they spin, they're happy to dump talent at bargain-basement prices to build cap & draft choice capital for next season. That may be defensible, but is a bitter pill to swallow if (a) the firesale prices seem too low, (b) you actually had hope for this season, and ( c) you're put-off by the transparent double-talk from coach and GM. The second factor is there seems to be a trace of Chip Kelly-ism at work here, with the new regime determine to obliterate all trace of the old. If so, that's a problem because (a) it's petty, (b) it's a sign of insecurity, and ( c) it results in just more double-talk.

I'd just like it if every personnel move wasn't magically a question of "buying into the system", or "not being high character guys", or "not a fit with the scheme".......

Edited by grb

in the early August depth chart the team had to release before the 1st preseason game, he was listed behind McCoy. They didn't have to release anything after that, and today McD said it's RBBC behind McCoy and they each are different types of backs.

That was a month ago and an arbitrary list. That doesn't mean he was #2 the whole time. He obviously wasn't because he is no longer on the team. Also, as I stated earlier, he didn't play game 3 and played every other series with Banyard in game 4.

Edited by Scott7975

I think there are two factors at work. First, this season is not management's priority. No matter how much they spin, they're happy to dump talent at bargain-basement prices to build cap & draft choice capital for next season. That may be defensible, but is a bitter pill to swallow if (a) the firesale prices seem too low, (b) you actually had hope for this season, and ( c) you're put-off by the transparent double-talk from coach and GM. The second factor is there seems to be a trace of Chip Kelly-ism at work here, with the new regime determine to obliterate all trace of the old. If so, that's a problem because (a) it's petty, (b) it's a sign of insecurity, and ( c) it results in just more double-talk.

I'd just like it if every personnel move wasn't magically a question of "buying into the system", or "not being high character guys", or "not a fit with the scheme".......

Big difference though in that Andy Reid actually accomplished something in Philly... in fact, he accomplished a hell of a lot, though mostly in the regular season.

Those are a few excellent reasons, in addition to: "Not good enough," "Not in our long-term plan," "We got a better return on investment," etc; all of which can be reasonably argued.

Can he be picked up and put on PS?

yes he can. Bills is maxed out but he can go elsewhere.

Ravens signed former Bears RB Jeremy Langford to their PS, who was also cut yesterday. So it won't be there

I wonder if Alynn will sign him to his PS in LA

Edited by YoloinOhio

that was my point. I was just explaining which depth chart Jauronimo was referring to.

I gotcha but that doesn't explain why the other poster thinks Williams was our #2 up until he got released. Not that I expect you to explain for him.

yes he can. Bills is maxed out but he can go elsewhere.

Ravens signed former Bears RB Jeremy Langford to their PS, who was also cut yesterday. So it won't be there

I wonder if Alynn will sign him to his PS in LA

Well, the Bills could release someone from our PS to make room for him, but yes he can go to any team that wants him now.