is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

I'm still confused as to how a player goes from #2 on the depth chart to not good enough to play in the NFL in the eyes of our front office (and our expert fans). Seems like we skipped a few steps along the way. Not sure why it takes until September to determine whether hes the heir apparent to a possible hall of fame back or he should sell Kias.

And what does that say about #s 3, 4, 5, and 6 on our massive RB depth chart that they spent all offseason playing catch up to a guy who apparently isn't an NFL caliber talent? Inspiring stuff.

Edited by Jauronimo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ChrisBrownBills

Jonathan Williams goes unclaimed. McDermott spoke positively about him today. Have to think practice squad is realistic option. #Bills

He has more talent than he's shown.

Maybe this will be a wake-up call.

McD can say "special teams" all he wants but it was noticeable to me that he wasn't as assignment sound as Banyard and THAT is why he's on the street.

When McCoy just runs wherever he feels like instead of where the play is designed.....it's 4.4 yards per carry instead of 5.4.........when a lesser talent like Williams does it the returns would be less.......he needs to take his game up a notch.

They didn't exactly bring a murderer's row of backs into camp and he got cut and unclaimed.......you'd hope the message is clear.

I'm still confused as to how a player goes from #2 on the depth chart to not good enough to play in the NFL in the eyes of our front office (and our expert fans). Seems like we skipped a few steps along the way. Not sure why it takes until September to determine whether hes the heir apparent to a possible hall of fame back or he should sell Kias.

Not sure, maybe the other (expert 31 teams) has an idea, considering they all decided to pass on him via waivers.

More like that wasn't one of Anthony Lynn's better days.

McCoy was horrible....8 carries for 11 yards :sick: ......and should have never been out there.......then MG was put in and had like 32 yards on 3 carries but Lynn called a reverse or some sh*t in the shadow of their goal post late in the game and MG ended up losing 12 yards. :doh:

But even with that....... in those 3 games where McCoy was affected MG still ran for 165 yards on 23 carries with 2 TD's........an average of over 7.2 yards per carry.

Dude was purdy good. :thumbsup:

Yup. I really liked him. I would have matched the offer. I did think he didn't do much in the games he started for Shady in the first year either though.

And what does that say about #s 3, 4, 5, and 6 on our massive RB depth chart that they spent all offseason playing catch up to a guy who apparently isn't an NFL caliber talent? Inspiring stuff.

Uh, seems like the rest of the NFL agrees.

Not sure, maybe the other (expert 31 teams) has an idea, considering they all decided to pass on him via waivers.

So a guy unfit to play in the NFL spent all offseason #2 on our depth chart and it took McD and Beane until 10 days before the opener to figure this out and you two feel that because every other team in the NFL already knew he was a bum, which is why they all passed on him in the waiver claim, that this vindicates the decision making of our FO? That is interesting.

Uh, seems like the rest of the NFL agrees.

You said it perfect! Very true

So a guy unfit to play in the NFL spent all offseason #2 on our depth chart and it took McD and Beane until 10 days before the opener to figure this out and you two feel that because every other team in the NFL already knew he was a bum, which is why they all passed on him in the waiver claim, that this vindicates the decision making of our FO? That is interesting.

He's not a bum, he simply was not chosen by the coach to make the final cut. He's a JAG, just like the rest of our RB's aside from Shady. The decision from every other NFL team to not claim him off waivers at bargain basement value simply validates their assessment is inline with the rest of the NFL.

In regards to "inspiring" confidence to the rest of the backs on the team, well....

I'm pretty sure that thought hasn't even crossed their minds for one split second. They are happy to have made the team.

For now

Edited by Magox

I like Jwill and I don't think he's a bum just because he didn't make a team. He's young and inexperienced and if he keeps working he can get on a PS and maybe make a team someday. Kind of like Gillislee's path.

As far as that 1st depth chart the team had to roll out there in early August I don't read much into those.

Edited by YoloinOhio

There is a split second in any GOOD run by Productive Taiwan where he looks like McCoy........but that's when he's turning the corner and running toward the sideline.........change of direction? Not so much.

Dennison comes from the boring-but-somehow-effective school of running philosophy that has resulted in JAGs like Alfred Blue gaining four yards a carry over a limited stretch of games. Run towards the tackle, cut, squeeze a crease, gain 3.5 and fall down. I guess Taiwan is our Alfred Blue. Edited by Coach Tuesday

I thought this quote was interesting

"What McDermott and Beane are interested in is putting together a team construct that leaves no one wondering how hard the man next to him is going to work during the practice week. There will be no doubt that each and every one of the 11 players on the field know their assignment on every single snap.

And that when the team is dealt a bad hand on or off the field, they won't fold."

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Roster-turnover-a-necessary-part-of-McDermotts-process/7c778037-3904-4090-aa63-f4e4126c0165

Maybe it's just a case of certain players don't have the dedication and commitment that the new regime is trying to instill, and even though they may be talented, it's not worth compromising the integrity of what they are trying to do. So, poof, they are gone.

I'm good with that and since they were going nowhere special this year anyway, I'm fine with letting it play out.

I thought this quote was interesting

"What McDermott and Beane are interested in is putting together a team construct that leaves no one wondering how hard the man next to him is going to work during the practice week. There will be no doubt that each and every one of the 11 players on the field know their assignment on every single snap.

And that when the team is dealt a bad hand on or off the field, they won't fold."

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Roster-turnover-a-necessary-part-of-McDermotts-process/7c778037-3904-4090-aa63-f4e4126c0165

Maybe it's just a case of certain players don't have the dedication and commitment that the new regime is trying to instill, and even though they may be talented, it's not worth compromising the integrity of what they are trying to do. So, poof, they are gone.

I'm good with that and since they were going nowhere special this year anyway, I'm fine with letting it play out.

that is actually Urban Meyer's philosophy of team building as well

Yup. I really liked him. I would have matched the offer. I did think he didn't do much in the games he started for Shady in the first year either though.

The only bad game MG EVER had in Buffalo was that Jets game in the finale and the Jets were not only a STOUT run defense........but they were determined not to get nickeled and dimed on the ground like they did earlier in the Meadowlands........they were STACKIN the box and blowing up the OL.......which left Sammy one-on-one with Revis and he ROASTED Revis. That was some ultra violence in the trenches that day.....Mo Wilkerson got his leg snapped....if you recall. To put the emphasis on the run in perspective....in the previous game against Jets.....Sammy had like one catch for 2 yards(the famous Sammy ankle breaker on Revis to seal the game).

But despite that poor stat-line in that ONE GAME for MG...... he still averaged 5.7 yards and piled up some numbers in those three games from when Shady went down to the bitter end. Take away the Jets game and it was like 9 ypc. He and Karlos didn't miss a beat to be honest......overall 5.5 ypc and 5 TD's in his stead, I believe.

I'm still confused as to how a player goes from #2 on the depth chart to not good enough to play in the NFL in the eyes of our front office (and our expert fans).

Because you are putting way too much stock into preseason depth charts. Shady is the #1 back and the rest is RBBC, and the difference between the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th guy in a RBBC is not that great.

I don't think that's the point. No one is denying running backs are a buyers market, and no one thinks JW is a hidden superstar. But he is a young player with promise on a very inexpensive contract. And he was cut to retain older players who seemed to perform no better or worse. Alone that wouldn't be a big deal, but it comes after a string of decisions where the Bills dumped talent for questionable compensation. There are reasons they traded their best corner and receiver for inferior replacements. There are reasons why they dumped last year's second round draft pick who was just recovering from a knee injury. There are reasons why they traded a corner who had once shown promise for a receiver on his fifth team without a single regular season catch. And there are reasons they dumped Williams - I believe special teams is the operative spin. But for all the reasons, the "process" seems to be dumping players in a firesale, with players from the former regime having a big bullseye on their back.

There are reasons for everything. But are you saying they are making decisions to get worse? Because it seems that way.

Tiawan Jones, he number one running back.

Things I did not know until today:

1. There are 2 Taiwan Joneses. The other one is a linebacker/free agent. No relation?

2. Our Taiwan Jones has a sibling named Thailand Jones. And another named Tasia Jones. No Laos? Cambodia?

3. Our Taiwan Jones was moved from RB to CB and back to RB. How's that for positional flexibility? (Actually, maybe he'll shine with a little stability?)

Edited by The Frankish Reich