QB Mason Rudolph & WR James Washington

bisonbrigade

That's how I feel. There's a guys like this every year. Of course, he may be the rare exception.

Blokes' point about a lesser surrounding cast this year is a solid one though. I'm not a fan of qbs who play with studs all around them in college.

I agree. I generally like the guys who carry mediocre teams on their back, as opposed to the blue chippers who wind up being coddled by other blue chip talent. Very few top NFL QBs came from elite college football programs. Most are guys who went to above average programs and made them much better than they historically were during their time on campus, or catapulted a program into being an elite program due to the uptick in recruiting they experienced as a result of their success.

I think Darnold is a legit stud. Even though he's at USC I think he's an excellent prospect. He doesn't appear to have any flaws in his game.

Rosen also looks quite good. He doesn't have a great line protecting him, and he's still looked quite good. I think he needs to continue to develop, but he looks like a top 10 pick.

Allen is the guy I'm most interested in. 6'5, cannon arm, plays for a mediocre team and is sneaky athletic. I think he looks like a young Ben Roethlisberger. I'm interested in seeing how he performs against Iowa tomorrow and Oregon in a couple weeks. I think he and Darnold should wind up going 1-2 in the draft when it's all said and done.

Mayfield is a decent prospect but I hate the offense he comes out of. As I said, I think he's really good at running that offense in the Big XII, but if you ask him to run an NFL offense against NFL opponents I'm not sure he's going to be successful.

Edited by jrober38

Mayfield is a good college QB whose game doesn't translate very well to the NFL.

He looks the part of a mid round pick.

I don't expect Baker to be an early pick, especially if he doesn't meet some physical thresholds. I'm with Biscuit about his offense and your point about defense being optional in the Big 12 as well.

There's just something about him that I really like. He's ballsy, has the memory of a goldfish for mistakes, a fantastic arm from all platforms and I think he can throw tight windows. I'd take the shot on developing him.

I don't expect Baker to be an early pick, especially if he doesn't meet some physical thresholds. I'm with Biscuit about his offense and your point about defense being optional in the Big 12 as well.

There's just something about him that I really like. He's ballsy, has the memory of a goldfish for mistakes, a fantastic arm from all platforms and I think he can throw tight windows. I'd take the shot on developing him.

Sure. I'd have no problem with developing him if you can get him in the 3rd or 4th round.

The point is moot though, because we already seem to have a developmental QB, and I'm fairly certain that we're going to go all in on drafting a QB early in the first round next year.

Mark my words, come draft time none of you will be talking about drafting ANY of these guys, because we will KNOW, not think, KNOW we have the franchise quarterback this entire fan base has been clamoring for, in one Nathan Peterman.

I have heard all the talk about drafting a quarterback in the first round regardless of what Peterman does, but I personally do not subscribe to that theory. Yes, McDermott and Beane have stockpiled draft picks, and have enough ammo now to move up to take one of the top QBS in next year's draft. That's IF we find a trading partner, and as several posters have pointed out, with so many teams that will most likely also have a dire need at the QB position, it wouldnt matter if we had 4 number one picks, no-one would trade with us.

I personally believe that we have found our franchise QB. I'm not just saying that because my avatar is of Peterman, and because I also happen to be a Pitt alumni, but because I have seen enough of this kid already, from training camp, to his play in pre-season to know that he has what it takes to be a very successful quarterback in this league. While I am not a Tyrod fan, I am a Tyrod supporter, and I can say without hesitation, Peterman has several things Tyrod will never have. He has unbelievable poise and coolness, especially for a rookie. He never looks rattled. He is decisive on all of his throws, whether they be good or bad. He already possesses a great ability to look off the safety, and as we witnessed last night, he is developing a great hard count. However, most importantly, he has two things that unfortunately TT has never had, which is the ability to CONSISTENTLY hit receivers in stride, to throw to where the receiver is going to be, versus waiting for a receiver to get open, and only then throwing the ball. Second is his ability to routinely utilize the middle of the field. I know it's only pre-season, and yes, his work was mainly against 2nd and 3rd units, but what he did, regardless of who it was against, was highly impressive and impossible to ignore. He has the "it" factor, and if you compare his play against the other rookie QBs highly touted of his class, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, and Kizer, Peterman has looked as, if not more impressive than all of them.

Call me crazy, but if I were McDermott, I would start Peterman week one and I wouldn't look back. I know that many people believe rookie QBs need to be brought along gently, to sit behind the starter, hold that clipboard and learn, all while getting ready for their day to come. I agree with that to a certain extent, depending on the situation. If Peterman were sitting behind a Ryan, a Brews, a Rodgers, then yes, let him sit and learn. We have Tyrod. To me, Peterman has shown a maturity level, coupled along with his play, that screams to me, let him play. We know what we have with Tyrod. My ideal scenario is one where we start Peterman, he shows us this season that we have finally found our quarterback of the future, and next season, we have a more than capable backup in Tyrod Taylor. Then we could use our multitude of draft picks on other positions.

Just my humble opinion fellas. But mark my words, this time next year we won't be having this same conversation...

Last Night these two players lit it up for Oklahoma ST. Mason went 20/24 for 303 yards and 3 TD's and Washington 6 catches 145 yards and 2 TD's. I want these guys. Rudolph should be available around the Bills 1st pick in the 1st round and Washington the 2nd pick in the 1st round. GET R DONE!

Watched the entire portion of the game Rudolph played in.

He is a good talent and we need to keep evaluating him...but that game last night was a total mismatch with one side outclassing the other. That happens a lot in college football, even at the top level.

The stats are somewhat misleading at times.

One long pass for a TD was under thrown, horribly played by the CB in 1 on 1 coverage who is nothing close to NFL talent, and was simply a case of a good WR with NFL talent picking on a bad CB without NFL talent who never got his head turned, was a bit out of control and lost in space, and never had proper positioning on the WR.

That type of mismatch is common in college football and why you have to be careful evaluating this stuff.

On paper, the play I am talking about looks great...something like a 45 yard pass for a TD (as I remember it).

In the NFL, it's an interception or incompletion most likely.

What I like about Rudolph is he looks around at the entire field, is mostly accurate, and throws with anticipation.

He also understands what Tyrod does not: if you throw the ball to location X in space, and can read/anticipate the game and know what your WR can do, the WR will be able to get to location X and catch the ball when the ball gets there.

Tyrod just throws to open guys when he sees that they are already open, often at a standstill.

Tom Brady knows the bubble of space on the field that Gronk, for example, can get to with his size, reach, and athleticism. In turn, Brady is accurate enough to put the ball in that bubble of space with the right timing. By the time the ball gets to location X, so do Gronk's hands. Half the time Gronk is never really even "open".

Often at the moment of the throw, the "picture" of Gronk's hands catching the ball at Location X is a long way away form being formed on the field and Gronk might be tightly covered...but Brady can see that the picture will be formed before it actually is.

Tyrod (and lots of others) can't do this and that is not something he is going to "learn" in an off-season.

Watch for college QBs this season who can put the ball in that window of space before the window exists and it looks like that is a good idea like Brady and Rodgers do. Those are the guys who might translate to the NFL well.

I agree. I generally like the guys who carry mediocre teams on their back, as opposed to the blue chippers who wind up being coddled by other blue chip talent. Very few top NFL QBs came from elite college football programs. Most are guys who went to above average programs and made them much better than they historically were during their time on campus, or catapulted a program into being an elite program due to the uptick in recruiting they experienced as a result of their success.

I think Darnold is a legit stud. Even though he's at USC I think he's an excellent prospect. He doesn't appear to have any flaws in his game.

Rosen also looks quite good. He doesn't have a great line protecting him, and he's still looked quite good. I think he needs to continue to develop, but he looks like a top 10 pick.

Allen is the guy I'm most interested in. 6'5, cannon arm, plays for a mediocre team and is sneaky athletic. I think he looks like a young Ben Roethlisberger. I'm interested in seeing how he performs against Iowa tomorrow and Oregon in a couple weeks. I think he and Darnold should wind up going 1-2 in the draft when it's all said and done.

Mayfield is a decent prospect but I hate the offense he comes out of. As I said, I think he's really good at running that offense in the Big XII, but if you ask him to run an NFL offense against NFL opponents I'm not sure he's going to be successful.

Great post. I need to see more with Darnold though. Qbs look a lot different the more film DCs get on them.

• 3 weeks later...

As of right now based on their play so far I'd have

1. Rudolph

2. Rosen

3. Darnold

Could change but that's why they play the games. Rudolph has the size and is a senior with experience. He's gotten better every year. He doesn't play in an NFL offense but he has made a lot of full field reads and moves well in the pocket and has some scrambling ability. I would be happy if the Bills took him based on what I've seen so far. Looking forward to games later on in the season including Oklahoma game.

Rosen is still my favorite (effortless throws remind me of Aaron Rodgers and form reminds me of Eli Manning) but he has done some things that make you question whether or not he's ready. 1 more year in school might be good for him. To go into the NFL and be a leader of men you have to have the maturity that he might be lacking. If drafted this year he would do well to sit for 1-2 years but we all know it never happens like that with top QB's

Edited by kdiggz

Rudolph is growing on me. I figured i better say that.

1. Darnold

2 Rosen

3 Rudolph

4 Jackson

4 Mayfield

6 Falk

7 Allen

I don't even consider the other guys at this point besides the top 3. And if the first 2 on your list stay in school then that could really screw things up for us!

Last Night these two players lit it up for Oklahoma ST. Mason went 20/24 for 303 yards and 3 TD's and Washington 6 catches 145 yards and 2 TD's. I want these guys. Rudolph should be available around the Bills 1st pick in the 1st round and Washington the 2nd pick in the 1st round. GET R DONE!

I have been keeping my eye on Rudolph this year. I think he is one of those guys that are going to shoot up the draft chart as the season goes on. He looked very good against Pitt also. Washington is a flat out stud. I wouldn't mind using our 2 picks in the first round on those two guys.

I am starting to cool on Rosen a bit. He makes real dumb decisions & he actually cost UCLA the game against Memphis with some ill advised throws late in the game. I think he I a bit of a head case. I am not so certain he really gets along with his teammates either. I don't know something is off about him. He is a talent though. What about the kid from Penn State. Mcsorley.

Edited by Gordio

I have been keeping my eye on Rudolph this year. I think he is one of those guys that are going to shoot up the draft chart as the season goes on. He looked very good against Pitt also. Washington is a flat out stud. I wouldn't mind using our 2 picks in the first round on those two guys.

I am starting to cool on Rosen a bit. He makes real dumb decisions & he actually cost UCLA the game against Memphis with some ill advised throws late in the game. I think he I a bit of a head case. I am not so certain he really gets along with his teammates either. I don't know something is off about him. He is a talent though. What about the kid from Penn State. Mcsorley.

He cost UCLA the game really. His offense hung 45 on them. To include a 99 yard drive to take the lead. That team every week is going to be put on his back (or arm) and 9 time out of 10 he is going to come through.

And about his teammates comment. All noise no substance

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20160822-snap-story.html

Edited by MAJBobby

I understand it is college and so far against that not great defenses. However Rudolph has shown quick on time throws with proper ball placement for massive YAC from his WRs.

Which if thats how he is and continues it that skill set is a great fit for what i think Dennison wants his QB to be.

To me, Rudolph is 100% the type of player the McBeane Team covets. He has the size, experience and he's a team leader. Experience, leadership and high character were three traits they really emphasized in this last draft. I'm not sure if he has any off the field stuff, I haven't read anything, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he's rather high on their list given some of the boxes he's checking off.

I wonder how much emphasis they put on those traits. Not every player is going to be a boy scout with tons of experience and leadership skills. I would hope they don't pass over a talented player because he's a junior or isn't an established leader or whatever.

He cost UCLA the game really. His offense hung 45 on them. To include a 99 yard drive to take the lead. That team every week is going to be put on his back (or arm) and 9 time out of 10 he is going to come through.

And about his teammates comment. All noise no substance

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20160822-snap-story.html

I watched the whole game brother as I had some money on UCLA. Yes they put up points & yes the defense was missing some key players but he made 2 horrible throws/decisions late in the game to cost the Bruins the win.

As far as the teammate comment, you are probably right but there have been some signs. The one guy on Fox Sports pregame called Rosen Ryan Leaf part 2. That scares the hell out of me if the Bills did select him.

I watched the whole game brother as I had some money on UCLA. Yes they put up points & yes the defense was missing some key players but he made 2 horrible throws/decisions late in the game to cost the Bruins the win.

As far as the teammate comment, you are probably right but there have been some signs. The one guy on Fox Sports pregame called Rosen Ryan Leaf part 2. That scares the hell out of me if the Bills did select him.

Two Horrible throws/decisions didn't cost him the game. You hang 45 you should win, the defense cost them the game that is the reality.

OOO No some random guy on some pregame shot makes a hot take with nothing to back it up.

To me, Rudolph is 100% the type of player the McBeane Team covets. He has the size, experience and he's a team leader. Experience, leadership and high character were three traits they really emphasized in this last draft. I'm not sure if he has any off the field stuff, I haven't read anything, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he's rather high on their list given some of the boxes he's checking off.

I wonder how much emphasis they put on those traits. Not every player is going to be a boy scout with tons of experience and leadership skills. I would hope they don't pass over a talented player because he's a junior or isn't an established leader or whatever.

I am seeing Rudolph more as the fit for what the Bills want to do on offense. Talent wise right now I have them ranked

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Rudolph

Scheme Fit Offense Wise

1. Darnold

2. Rudolph

3. Rosen

Either ways I would take any of those three as the next Bills QB at this point in the process (still early in it though)

Two Horrible throws/decisions didn't cost him the game. You hang 45 you should win, the defense cost them the game that is the reality.

OOO No some random guy on some pregame shot makes a hot take with nothing to back it up.

I am seeing Rudolph more as the fit for what the Bills want to do on offense. Talent wise right now I have them ranked

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Rudolph

Scheme Fit Offense Wise

1. Darnold

2. Rudolph

3. Rosen

Either ways I would take any of those three as the next Bills QB at this point in the process (still early in it though)

There has been plenty to back it up though & that is what is concerning. From putting a hot tub into his room, too several sources within the program saying he is not the best teammate, to his own coach criticizing him last summer saying he needs to grow up. I am not saying I don't think he will be a good NFL QB, but I am not sold on him yet either.

There has been plenty to back it up though & that is what is concerning. From putting a hot tub into his room, too several sources within the program saying he is not the best teammate, to his own coach criticizing him last summer saying he needs to grow up. I am not saying I don't think he will be a good NFL QB, but I am not sold on him yet either.

Show me one verfied report anywhere he is a bad teammate

I think the Big thing that i really like about Rudolph is he will likey be the QB sitting there when we have out pick (as long as Darnold and Rosen declare). So get a top end talent without haveing to spend alot of capital to move to get him.

Need Rosen and Darnold to declare at all costs

Show me one verfied report anywhere he is a bad teammate

I think the Big thing that i really like about Rudolph is he will likey be the QB sitting there when we have out pick (as long as Darnold and Rosen declare). So get a top end talent without haveing to spend alot of capital to move to get him.

Need Rosen and Darnold to declare at all costs

I am not going to look it up for you, there are all kinds of stories. Mora last August says the kid has a long way o go before he is a leader on this team & he needs to grow up.

My guess is they are both declaring even though it would probably serve them better to both stay one more year in school. I love Rudolph. At the end of this year he will have 40 games as a starter under his belt. I would be thrilled if the Bills could grab him.

I am not going to look it up for you, there are all kinds of stories. Mora last August says the kid has a long way o go before he is a leader on this team & he needs to grow up.

My guess is they are both declaring even though it would probably serve them better to both stay one more year in school. I love Rudolph. At the end of this year he will have 40 games as a starter under his belt. I would be thrilled if the Bills could grab him.

Yes i know i have looked about the stories into his team mates. Guess what i found NADA. All fully supportive teammates. Oooo and Mora hmmm yeah he doesnt have any alternate motives at all for keeping his Elite QB when entering the hot seat. None.

I get it you like Rudolph. It is a weak to make false claims with no backup just to prop your guy up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflspinzone.com/2017/06/30/2018-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-smear-campaign/amp/

Edited by MAJBobby

Know who else always has rumblings that he's not a great teammate/leader? Aaron Rodgers. Now, I'm not saying Rosen is anywhere near the level Rodgers is on but not every QB has top leadership skills. Rodgers' talent covers for him, and honestly, if you have a chance at a franchise-changing player and you decide against it because he has some minor red flags concerning his leadership, then you might not have a GM job for long. This has been my only moderate concern with Team McBeane. I understand the type of team they want, high character, team-first, that's all well and good. But don't restrict yourselves from drafting or signing a player who may not exhibit those traits right out of the gate. Things like that can be learned. If the locker room is built on those traits and has a solid foundation, players who need to develop those traits should conceivably be able to join the team and learn/absorb those skills from others.

That said, at this point, I feel like Rosen's comments and the rumors about him probably put up some red flags for McBeane. It's clear they want an experienced leader at the QB spot who isn't afraid to take charge and lead the team and I'd be willing to bet McBeane would question his ability and his desire to do that.

At this point though, like I said, it seems like Rudolph would check a lot of the boxes they place a high priority on. And he's not receiving the same amount of hype guys like Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson are so I think he'll still be on the board in the first when it comes time for the Bills to pick.

Either way, I just want them to identify their guy without a shadow of a doubt and do whatever they gotta do to get him.

Yes i know i have looked about the stories into his team mates. Guess what i found NADA. All fully supportive teammates. Oooo and Mora hmmm yeah he doesnt have any alternate motives at all for keeping his Elite QB when entering the hot seat. None.

I get it you like Rudolph. It is a weak to make false claims with no backup just to prop your guy up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflspinzone.com/2017/06/30/2018-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-smear-campaign/amp/

I am not making it up. He put a hot tub in his room as a freshman & was ordered to remove it by the school. He has had to apologize several times to his school for his outspoken tweets & instagrams, even deleting several of them. He got in trouble rearranging lawn ornaments in a sexual nature with some of his friend his first month on campus. Mora said last year he needs to be a better teammate & grow into a leader. By all accounts this year he has. These are still red flags, red flags I may add that Mason Rudolph currently does not have.

I am not making it up. He put a hot tub in his room as a freshman & was ordered to remove it by the school. He has had to apologize several times to his school for his outspoken tweets & instagrams, even deleting several of them. He got in trouble rearranging lawn ornaments in a sexual nature with some of his friend his first month on campus. Mora said last year he needs to be a better teammate & grow into a leader. By all accounts this year he has. These are still red flags, red flags I may add that Mason Rudolph currently does not have.

There have been a few legitimate things Rosen has done that have landed him in hot water, well, maybe lukewarm water. None of the things he's done that have grabbed attention have been a) horrible, b) illegal, so, I mean, he's a kid yet and of course this sentiment can fuel comments like, "Well, if I was a kid about to make millions I would certainly clean up my act." Yeah, we get it. Everyone has their reservations on how these players should act but the bottom line is, they're all still college-aged kids with a lot of maturing to do. I think once he gets to the NFL and understands what its like at the next level he'll be alright. And I'd bet on him declaring early for the draft given the team he currently has around him. They aren't in any sort of major bowl contention and won't be next season so unless he just wants to graduate I can't see him staying there another year.

So in otherwords NADA about issues with teammates. Got it.

Hot tub as a Frosh yep did it - Big freaking deal

Lawn or ornaments as a Frosh yep did it Big freaking deal.

Calls out the NCAA. Ooo no

And Mora could care less he has a vested interest in keeping Rosen out of the NFL draft doesnt he.

Either way waiting on this teammate stuff

At least you havent put out the un-named scout or league executive stuff yet. So props there

Edited by MAJBobby

There have been a few legitimate things Rosen has done that have landed him in hot water, well, maybe lukewarm water. None of the things he's done that have grabbed attention have been a) horrible, b) illegal, so, I mean, he's a kid yet and of course this sentiment can fuel comments like, "Well, if I was a kid about to make millions I would certainly clean up my act." Yeah, we get it. Everyone has their reservations on how these players should act but the bottom line is, they're all still college-aged kids with a lot of maturing to do. I think once he gets to the NFL and understands what its like at the next level he'll be alright. And I'd bet on him declaring early for the draft given the team he currently has around him. They aren't in any sort of major bowl contention and won't be next season so unless he just wants to graduate I can't see him staying there another year.

Agreed.

Chris Trapasso, local guy, writes for CBS on the draft and has the WR Washington as the #1 pick overall going to the Bears in his latest mock. He has the Bills taking Rudolph at pick #10, who he has as the #1 overall player on his big board

Mock Draft: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-six-wrs-in-round-1-steelers-grab-leveon-bell-replacement/

Big Board: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-lsus-arden-key-flashes-freakish-talent/

Edited by kdiggz

Chris Trapasso, local guy, writes for CBS on the draft and has the WR Washington as the #1 pick overall going to the Bears in his latest mock. He has the Bills taking Rudolph at pick #10, who he has as the #1 overall player on his big board

Mock Draft: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-six-wrs-in-round-1-steelers-grab-leveon-bell-replacement/

Big Board: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-lsus-arden-key-flashes-freakish-talent/

Interesting. A WR hasn't gone 1 overall since, I think, '96 maybe?

Interesting. A WR hasn't gone 1 overall since, I think, '96 maybe?

his reasoning makes sense, if it's the Bears picking 1 they want to get a WR for Trubisky. but i think if it came down to it the Bears would want to trade out of that spot knowing they can get a very good WR a little later. could be a good trade partner for us if it went down like that!

also, I think Washington is a tad overrated based on the offense they run. i only ever see him score on deep bombs where he's completely wide open. maybe he runs like a 4.2 40 and if that's the case he will be #1 but with WR's maybe more than any other position they will want to see a good combine performance first

If Bears get No1 overall they are open for business and selling that pick all day long (if Darnold and Rosen declare)

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.