What REALLY will the Bills strategy on offense be?

mjd1001

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory the offense should be fine. It was a top 10 offense the last 2 years. Losing Sammy hurts but the offense was fine during his injuries. I think this year will show whether we upgraded or downgraded our offensive coaching staff.

I wish I shared your optimism. New OC, new scheme and I'm not sure how well it fits our talent. Hopefully they are just sandbagging and look atrocious on purpose. Yeah, that's the ticket.... :)

In theory the offense should be fine. It was a top 10 offense the last 2 years. Losing Sammy hurts but the offense was fine during his injuries. I think this year will show whether we upgraded or downgraded our offensive coaching staff.

This not anything like last two years of offense. Shame on that!

but I do think John is right. Bills have not shown anything they are going to be doing. Working on one on ones and play discipline.

I could be wrong. Right now i am so pissed at Castillo i can hardly see straight. Keeping Ducasse and Sean saying John Miller is playing for his life is either crazy or total BS. I have to choose BS for sanities sake.

I have been a pretty even keeled fellow about this team over the last five -6 years.

The Jets game will either bring me in or push me away. All based on what the Offense going to be doing.

how can i be missing Roman and Lynn so bad and it is just preseason??

damn

I wish I shared your optimism. New OC, new scheme and I'm not sure how well it fits our talent. Hopefully they are just sandbagging and look atrocious on purpose. Yeah, that's the ticket.... :)

How can they not have been looking at O linemen upgrades? Vlad and Mills? Does Castillo have some kind of ego here? are they want Tyrod to burn in broken PP hell?

just too odd to be real

They are Nick naming it the "three and out"

Who the heck is "They"?

I honestly dont think we have seen the offense yet

We haven't. Duh. NOBODY runs their real offense in PS. Especially not in the first year where there is no film on you yet.

We haven't seen the offense yet because there is nothing to see.

How do you know if you haven't seen it?

just lose, baby

Loser mentality.

Three and out at lightening speed.

Then scores of people here will blame the defense for giving up too many points, even though they're on the field for 50 minutes/game.

I totally disagree! I think we will go three and out at glacier speed. But still, three and out. I pray this offense surprises me. So far????

D will keep putting 7 or 8 in the box, and force all the WRs to the sidelines. Middle of the field will be wide open until Tyrod can hit it and make people pay.

Throwing to running backs requires a very accurate QB. Too many people at the edge, and RBs don't have the hands of WRs. Plus all D is there already.

They could run Tyrod up the middle but he'll get killed. Also you loose all the protections in the modern NFL, PI and hitting the QB late.

Actually, we were 16th on offense in 2016 and 13th in 2015.

And yeah, I'm sure you were talking about scoring, but while yards reflects almost completely offense, scoring is more of a whole-team stat because drive-start field position is absolutely huge in scoring. Not to mention that scoring includes stuff like pick-sixes and blocked kicks recovered in the end zone that the offense has little to do with.

Yards is simply a better measure of your offense than scoring. Which is why when people talk about how offenses rank they are talking about yards.

And surprisingly, the defense and STs scored significantly more than the average NFL defense and STs do. And they also gave the offense the 11th best average drive start, a major advantage in terms of scoring. And that same offense also left the defense with crap field position, 23rd best, which deeply hurt the defense in terms of scoring given up.

We'll see. But we didn't just lose Sammy. We lost Woods and more to the point we lost the Roman blocking schemes and playbook, generally acknowledged to be pretty much the best in the NFL in terms of maximizing the run. We'd better hope that the pass game picks it up because my bet is that the run game will still be pretty good but not the absolute terror it was last year, in terms of both yards per carry and scoring on run plays.

Edited by Thurman#1

On the offensive side of things at least, I'd say it's going to be a downgrade.

I expect to see a lot of what we saw last year. A lot of McCoy. More screen passes to him and Williams. Rollouts. Rollouts with short passes to TE. Some Hotrod designed but probably not as many. Half dozen or so homerun attempts per game.

One thing I know for certain. It WON'T IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM be what we've seen so far.

Why all the doom and gloom on this board? They DO have some talent on this team...obviously not enough to challenge the Patriots but enough to be respectable. Poor coaching and bone-headed decisions have been a major problem the last few years. Let's see how they do after the first three games before we toss in the towel.

I expect to see a lot of what we saw last year. A lot of McCoy. More screen passes to him and Williams. Rollouts. Rollouts with short passes to TE. Some Hotrod designed but probably not as many. Half dozen or so homerun attempts per game.

One thing I know for certain. It WON'T IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM be what we've seen so far.

I agree with you on this. Moving the pocket with rollouts is a huge staple of the Shanahan offensive scheme. Dennison is a Shanny disciple via Kubiak. We haven't seen a single designed rollout in the preseason to my knowledge. They are playing it as vanilla as possible. Whether that is to mitigate injury risk, work on Taylor's weaknesses, keep the element of surprise for the regular season, or some combination of the 3, I am not sure.

LOL. Seriously? "Should be fine"? If they score 10 passing TDs, that will be a lot. My guess is 6 games without an offensive TD. So, their offensive strategy will be to pray that the D and the ST can score some points.

Obsolete running emphasis. Three and outs and field position. Don't make game ruining mistakes.

The ghost of Dick Jauron returns to B-lo. I can't wait for the 12-6 and 6-3 TD-less losses to fellow bottom feeders!