Ragland traded to KC for 4th round 2019 pick

MAJBobby

Exactly. Far too many on this board automatically buy the default " he was either lazy or dumb" spin. Ragland looked like he had lost weight and started off great in camp last season. No way he was 280 .

The issue, I suspect, is that acl injuries are 9 months recovery time max now given the advances in surgery. He is now 13 months removed from surgery.

It's very difficult for me to predict that an injured basically-rookie is going to thrive in KC all of a sudden. I think it's 50/50 he plays any kind of role at all in that defense...which is not necessarily a knock on him. Chiefs are very good on that side of the ball.

He had a simple acl tear. He is not injury prone or anything like it. It is an injury that the VAST majority of pro athletes recover from in 9-10 months. Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ragland will be inactive for TNF against NE.

@adamteicher

Linebacker Reggie Ragland, recently acquired by the Chiefs, said he's been told by coaches he will not be active... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40000655-4

He's new to the team and he still probably hasn't fully healed his knee.

I was a big fan of Ragland out of college and was super stoked about him going into the preseason last year. Awful what happened to his knee, hopefully he'll get back to where he was.

Both drafted in 2014, so both have had the chance to play in 48 games

- Watkins: 37 games played

- Matthews: 46 games played

Would you rather have Matthews 96% of the time or Watkins 77% of the time?

No offense, but your post is stupid. You act like that ratio will be forever. Seriously, you people have NO CLUE about Sammys ACTUAL injury. Its one that isn't quick or easy to recover from because there is NOT a lot you can do to help it heal quicker. It just takes time. MORE IMPORTANTLY, its almost always stronger and not likely to reoccur once fully healed.

Our Staff let him on the field too early last year plain and simple, and he and the team paid the price for it. It happens. It does NOT by any means equate to a forward looking projection of missed time. Sammy other missed time, he took a MASSIVE rib shot that would have done damage to any player. its not like Sammy has had ticky tack injuries over and over again. He took one big shot and also had the one unfortunate foot fracture that is very timely to recover from.

This nonsense that it equates to some forward looking prediction he is a lock to miss more time shows the complete lack of knowledge of what he actually dealt with. Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, OBJ, etc have all dealt with missed time and multiple injuries. Sammy had the bad luck of having one of those injuries hamper him and basically rob him of a season last year because there is no quick repair.

Ragland will be inactive for TNF against NE.

@adamteicher

Linebacker Reggie Ragland, recently acquired by the Chiefs, said he's been told by coaches he will not be active... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40000655-4

As expected:

@ChiefsReporter

#Chiefs inactive players tonight vs. #Patriots: DL - Jarvis Jenkins OL - Parker Ehinger LB - Reggie Ragland CB - DJ White QB - Tyler Bray

Alpha maybe so, but the team has openly advanced the same logic in not exercising the option and then after trading him...

To be fair, think about a few factors:

1. New regime had no connection or investment into him.

2. New regime comes from the Panthers that went to the SB without their best WR.

3. Sammy has been vocal about how he wants to be paid if he puts up a big year, and the FO has said they didn't think they would be able to resign him.

So, the fact that this regime didn't want to pick up his option is not that big of a shock. And if they are true to their word and felt he would be tough to resign, then trading him for draft assets and still recouping a decent DB and solid WR back wasn't a bad deal in their eyes and made sense. I don't really think he was traded over injury concerns, I think they felt they were in a lose-lose scenario. Sammy either has injury issues and has little trade value later or Sammy has a big year his talent is capable of putting up and warrants a contract they already know they don't want to pay and likely lose him in FA anyway.

Dark horse factor: No evidence of this, but wouldn't surprise me if they had Cousins on their mind too and wanting to be aggressive in a deal for him and then get to keep all the draft assets to load up on talent around him. And if they fail to land him, they are still armed heavily with draft assets to make a play in the draft for the guy they want.

So as much as I prefer to have Sammy right now, when looking at the the new regime, I can understand where they might be coming from.

This nonsense that it equates to some forward looking prediction he is a lock to miss more time shows the complete lack of knowledge of what he actually dealt with. Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, OBJ, etc have all dealt with missed time and multiple injuries. Sammy had the bad luck of having one of those injuries hamper him and basically rob him of a season last year because there is no quick repair.

I have always believed that Sammy was an elite talent, who in any draft year would be ranked in the top half dozen. It is clear to anyone who watches him in the games that he is one of the most dynamic players on the field. So there is no question from my standpoint that he is an elite player.

I fully understand why many (if not a majority) people would be outraged with the trade of Sammy for a second round pick and a CB who will probably be a starter and well suited for McDermott's zone defense. As it stands Sammy's abundant talent was not going to be realized with Buffalo while there is a void at the qb position and play on an offense that is skewed toward the run game. If the added pick, the second rounder, is used to make a deal to get a very highly ranked qb prospect then I feel that the deal was in our interest. If one accepts the reality that the Bills are on a rebuilding venture, as I do, then the deal makes even more sense to me.

I'm not saying anyone who disagreed with the trade is wrong because their position is very understandable. However, what I am also saying is that I understand from a big picture sense why Watkins wasn't in the plan in the rebuild for this new regime.

I have always believed that Sammy was an elite talent, who in any draft year would be ranked in the top half dozen. It is clear to anyone who watches him in the games that he is one of the most dynamic players on the field. So there is no question from my standpoint that he is an elite player.

I fully understand why many (if not a majority) people would be outraged with the trade of Sammy for a second round pick and a CB who will probably be a starter and well suited for McDermott's zone defense. As it stands Sammy's abundant talent was not going to be realized with Buffalo while there is a void at the qb position and play on an offense that is skewed toward the run game. If the added pick, the second rounder, is used to make a deal to get a very highly ranked qb prospect then I feel that the deal was in our interest. If one accepts the reality that the Bills are on a rebuilding venture, as I do, then the deal makes even more sense to me.

I'm not saying anyone who disagreed with the trade is wrong because their position is very understandable. However, what I am also saying is that I understand from a big picture sense why Watkins wasn't in the plan in the rebuild for this new regime.

Totally agree with you. Would I like to have Sammy here, absolutely. Would I have taken a chance on him rather than trade him, yes given his talent.

But I also understand the new regimes position and I support them building a team the way they feel they need to here. And if they felt they couldn't keep Sammy or knew they didn't want to pay what it would take to keep him, then I support getting value now.

• 2 weeks later...