Complete the tank, McBean. Do it.

Like many others have said...The Colts tanked for Luck...that has not worked out well for them...No guarantees getting a QB makes you a great team

How many times have the Bills made the playoffs doing exactly what they are doing now?

We need a better QB like Carolina did with getting Cam. First step is making a playoff run and we can't do that without a legit franchise worthy QB. No choice but putting all the cards in drafting one.

You really feel like Shady is a dime-a-dozen?!?!

Also, I'll never get this "it's a passing league, so we need to pass" logic. That it's a passing league means you need to have a good pass rush and disruptive front 4 or 5 (check) and a solid secondary (less so, but we'll see). However, an argument can be made that having a ground game is the smart move in the current NFL. Modern defenses are built towards stopping the passing game in such a league, plus it keeps their D on the field and yours off it.

You could further argue we only won 7 games because we had a porous, sloppy defense and a coach, who while (hopefully) well-meaning, forgot how to use things as basic as times out and challenges (we may have lost two games b/c he didn't call a time out fast enough against a yippy kicker, and he didn't "realize" you could challenge a call that would have changed the dynamic of another game). New Orleans only won 7 games the last three years with Brees throwing for around 5000 yards and 30-plus touchdowns. Should they trade him?

Finally, in all my years as mostly a lurker, yours is one of my favorite screennames ever, fwiw :)

I think youre kinda right.....Losing Sammy hurts more than just his reception count. Which wasnt even that impressive. Sammy pretty much took a safety out of the game.

If there is no threat to the passing game....even if we didnt have a good one...we could show the illusion of one just by Sammy lining up on the outside.

There will be almost zero respect this year against our passing attack.

So if the passing attack isnt working...then in order to win, defense needs to play great and the rushing attack has to work enough to get first downs. Thats no simple task week in and week out.

The only hope is for Tyrod to give defenses a reason to back off their safeties....and without Sammy he hasnt been able to do it. If he can....god bless....if he cant....id rather tank the year. lol

Great, another thread on tanking. Any Bills and Sabres fans here ever want a winning team or just a lot of draft picks?

Thank you. These were my exact thoughts as well. I still have a good feeling about this team. Sammy was not the be-all-end-all. I like Zay better, actually. Boldin was old and slow - retirement now prior to the season starting did us a favor. The TE they signed from the 49ers looks like another BIG target. Nice red zone option IMO!!

It more has to do with our schedule. No one is respecting the passing game this year unless the Bills prove it has to be protected against. I don't have a lot of faith in that. That makes it easier to stop the run. We face some high powered offenses this year.

Same thing last year and the #1 ranked rushing team

Great, another thread on tanking. Any Bills and Sabres fans here ever want a winning team or just a lot of draft picks?

Calls 'em like we sees 'em.....

I wouldn't be talking about it if the Bills didn't make us talk about it. And it's not like we made it up, just watch a media "talking head" reference the Bills right now. It's all "trust the process", "you have all those picks", or "you will be happy with Darnold".

Definitely the fans fault though.....

They're pretty much set for the tank now, unless they stay incredibly healthy, Zay Jones and TreD are rookies of the year and Shady has his career year (which could both happen, especially the last one). no need to gut the roster any more. these guys play for contracts, not for teams anymore, so even at 2-14 they'll play for the tape. they'll keep this roster together and wrap it around Darnold or Allen next year.

Edited by jmcraig44

They're pretty much set for the tank now, unless they stay incredibly healthy, Zay Jones and TreD are rookies of the year and Shady has his career year (which could both happen, especially the last one). no need to gut the roster any more. these guys play for contracts, not for teams anymore, so even at 2-14 they'll play for the tape. they'll keep this roster together and wrap it around Darnold or Allen next year.

Ain't that the truth.

Trade McCoy tomorrow. Don't fear the repercussions from a bunch of whining fans. Do what's right for the team. Complete the tank, compete for first overall. It's THAT important. I think the FO could get at least a second for McCoy. To have 2 firsts, 3 seconds and 2 thirds would make a whole lot more sense than competing for 4-12. DO IT.

Another tantrum thread started because the Bills traded Watkins. Super. Awesome contribution to the board.

Well, if you're going to do this tank thingy...do it right.

Let the McBeane consortium accumulate its draft picks...then fire them.

"Yeah...thanks for dumping the vets, Brandon, but..um...we've decided to go in a different direction for the rebuild. We need someone with a little more team building experience."

Then smile when he whines about the importance of continuity.

Why? How are they appreciably worse than they were last year. Gilmore and Darby were inconsistent. Watkins barely played. Plus, the removal of the Ryan Bros might be a plus.

I'm not saying they might not be awful whatever they do (it's quite possible), but to say there is "virtually no chance they'll be good or even decent this season" feels way hyperbolic. There's still our running game and the defense is looking really good so far and still has a ton of talent.

It just feels like any of the last few seasons where there's a large segment of the board saying there's no way we'll do better than 5-11 and we wind up somewhere around .500.

Gilmore and Darby are both good players, and Watkins was the most talented player on the roster. Yes, the coaching will be better on defense, but I don't see any signs that the offensive coaching will be better. The Bills' offensive coaching the last two seasons is the best they've had since Marchibroda in 1990-91.

Edited by dave mcbride

And how many for the Bills over that span?

Another tantrum thread started because the Bills traded Watkins. Super. Awesome contribution to the board.

No, I SUPPORTED the trade of Watkins.

IDC how much talent you have elsewhere on the field. You're not winning ANYTHING of significance with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

In two other threads I've asked for an example of a calculated complete tank that worked. Two examples have been given, the Colts suck for Luck, which as I stated earlier doesn't happen without the injury to Payton. The only other moves they made were to cut some aging over paid players. The other example is the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker. Aikman and Irvin were already on the roster, they didn't trade them. They also knew they had already forfeited their first round pick by taking Steve Walsh in supplemental draft. By the time they made the trade they had already lost five in a row. I don't believe either of these are planned tanks.

Also the even though the colts got their franchise QB (and the skins in the same year traded the farm for theirs at #2, BTW) their momentary success has regressed back to mediocrity for two seasons.

The three very sound arguments against tanking are:

(1) we haven't seen yet seen how good the new guys are at drafting. If they are lousey or have blindspots, converting current talent into future misses, won't help the long view

(2) there are 53 players on the roster. Tanking only gets you a shot at one or two elite players. It would have been equivalent to drafting a Watkins without tossing in another 1. Were the bills a Sammy away from being a great team? Or perhaps Bortles could have dropped to 4. How's that going?

(3) if you build a team with loads of players from the same draft class, expect your cap casualty list to be half of your team, then you're back to tanking in 4 years.

Also the even though the colts got their franchise QB (and the skins in the same year traded the farm for theirs at #2, BTW) their momentary success has regressed back to mediocrity for two seasons.

The three very sound arguments against tanking are:

(1) we haven't seen yet seen how good the new guys are at drafting. If they are lousey or have blindspots, converting current talent into future misses, won't help the long view

(2) there are 53 players on the roster. Tanking only gets you a shot at one or two elite players. It would have been equivalent to drafting a Watkins without tossing in another 1. Were the bills a Sammy away from being a great team? Or perhaps Bortles could have dropped to 4. How's that going?

(3) if you build a team with loads of players from the same draft class, expect your cap casualty list to be half of your team, then you're back to tanking in 4 years.

And the most salient argument FOR tanking:

1) What we've been doing (drafting mid round for the past two decades) hasn't worked for us at all.

we need a QB. Until that's fixed, literally nothing else matters.

Trade McCoy tomorrow. Don't fear the repercussions from a bunch of whining fans. Do what's right for the team. Complete the tank, compete for first overall. It's THAT important. I think the FO could get at least a second for McCoy. To have 2 firsts, 3 seconds and 2 thirds would make a whole lot more sense than competing for 4-12. DO IT.

Sometimes when I read your posts like this, I imagine Brigitte Nielsen when she realizes Drago is about to kill Apollo Creed.

1puyyb.jpg

It hasn't but recovering from a 2-14 season is not easy.....vets on the team now will have to be replaced in 2 years...can't have all 1st and 2nd year players on the roster

I feel like teams that have gone 0-16, 1-15, 2-14, 3 -13 have recovered faster than the bills have made progress to making the playoffs. I'm all for tanking if it means we do something to get out of football purgatory.

Edited by The Wiz

There are people out there who this would be the last year they will watch the Bills. Next year, they're dead.

New staff just tanks the first year to have an excuse to be around longer. They don't know what they are doing and just want a paycheck.

this is a bit of a downer...even for bills fans.

Terry Pegula isn't going to pay for a tank season and the NFL isn't going to encourage or help a tank season.

It's not coming.

I get they aren't going to encourage it but what can they do to stop it? Force them to score more points than the other team or give them the ball for no reason while on defense?