Mahomes is looking good

1billsfan

It's hilarious how some people are trying to put Mahomes down, while going crazy for our new Trent Edwards. If he was a Bill, people would be losing their minds with excitement.

I have no idea how Peterman and Mahomes' careers will turn out (I would bet on Mahomes being more successful but considering their draft selections that isn't saying much). It would be great if they both turn into good qbs and we would have made a great trade.

But man, I trust Andy Reid's qb evaluation over anyone from the Bills since we picked Jim Kelly. And damn, Mahomes looks fun as hell. He also will do some really stupid things. But time will tell.

I'm sure you were saying Aaron Rodgers was going to be Aaron Rodgers in his preseason too after he feel in the draft.

How anyone can make definite statements about Qbs blows my mind.

I don't think Peterman is anything more than our version of Trevor Siemian. He may be serviceable until we find our QB of the future and he might fit this offense better than Tyrod. I don't care who they start this year because this team isn't going to make any noise. I also believe we should surely make a move for Darnold or Allen in next year's draft. It is my definite OPINION, that Mahomes is not the next Aaron Rodgers. I'm allowed to have those, right? For every throw that he places right, there are just as many throws where he gets away with things that will not work against the average to better NFL starting defenses. Can he create a big play with his legs and arm strength? Yes, but so can Tyrod and even Kaep could as well. I'm not putting him down because I admitted his athleticism and arm strength, but I do find it funny how a lot of people have become chin rests for his "manhood" though.

Edited by H2o

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO passing on Mahomes to trade for an extra pick was the biggest gamble the Bills have taken on draft day in memory.

Yes, bigger than trading up for Losman or Sammy.

And that Losman trade-up gamble cost them a crack at Aaron Rodgers......but they never had him IN HAND the way the Bills had Mahomes.

I like 3D White......best CB in the draft IMO.......but all positions pale compared to QB and if the Bills had just stayed put and selected QB's with their first pick in every draft since John Butler quit they'd have drafted some star QB's and all they'd have missed out on were Dareus, Shaq and Tre'Davious..........that's the stark reality of what they have to show for all those first round picks since.

Just take the best QB with that pick every time and you will not end up regretting it.

The potential for career crippling embarrassment for McDermott is HUGE.......if Mahomes turns into a star and McDermott falters there WILL BE NO SECOND CHANCE HC opportunities............but hopefully he gets the last laugh and the Bills end up with the better QB and win SB's.

IMO passing on Mahomes to trade for an extra pick was the biggest gamble the Bills have taken on draft day in memory.

And that Losman trade-up gamble cost them a crack at Aaron Rodgers......but they never had him IN HAND the way the Bills had Mahomes.

I like 3D White......best CB in the draft IMO.......but all positions pale compared to QB and if the Bills had just stayed put and selected QB's with their first pick in every draft since John Butler quit they'd have drafted some star QB's and all they'd have missed out on were Dareus, Shaq and Tre'Davious..........that's the stark reality of what they have to show for all those first round picks since.

Just take the best QB with that pick every time and you will not end up regretting it.

The potential for career crippling embarrassment for McDermott is HUGE.......if Mahomes turns into a star and McDermott falters there WILL BE NO SECOND CHANCE HC opportunities............but hopefully he gets the last laugh and the Bills end up with the better QB and win SB's.

I'll give the Bills a pass.

They have a roster that's in transition, and holding on to Taylor as a band aide while we get rid of our dead weight and create a new culture inside the locker room while accumulating draft assets shows that the Bills at least have a plan.

They didn't trade the pick because they were scared of picking a QB and having them fail; they did it because they recognize the roster isn't good enough to support the development of a young QB this year, and they need to spend a year rebuilding the foundation before adding a young signal caller to the fold.

If Mahomes is a stud, it will obviously hurt, but I have faith in the Bills adding their own really good young QB next year, and am hoping that player winds up in a better situation to succeed than they one Mahomes would have found this season.

Edited by jrober38

I just think I understand the reasoning of the trade down for the 1s round pick

- Tre White was the best cover corner in a draft that was strong at corner.....so to get him later like that was a real feather in Beanes cap

- The first pick in a strong qb draft was of course a look at the future. Once again....really could not fault Bean here

- Peterman is showing me something...and he didnt do it against just 2's and 3'd....he got thrown into the fire when TT went down with this concussion in what is basically the most important game of the preseason for teams......he showed he was mobile, accurate, throw over the middle, all that.

Its our OL that is scaring the crap out of me right now

I just think I understand the reasoning of the trade down for the 1s round pick

- Tre White was the best cover corner in a draft that was strong at corner.....so to get him later like that was a real feather in Beanes cap

- The first pick in a strong qb draft was of course a look at the future. Once again....really could not fault Bean here

- Peterman is showing me something...and he didnt do it against just 2's and 3'd....he got thrown into the fire when TT went down with this concussion in what is basically the most important game of the preseason for teams......he showed he was mobile, accurate, throw over the middle, all that.

Its our OL that is scaring the crap out of me right now

What other kind of corners were in the draft?

If Tre White was the best, why was Lattimore the pick if we didn't trade down?

They have a roster that's in transition, and holding on to Taylor as a band aide while we get rid of our dead weight and create a new culture inside the locker room while accumulating draft assets shows that the Bills at least have a plan.

They didn't trade the pick because they were scared of picking a QB and having them fail; they did it because they recognize the roster isn't good enough to support the development of a young QB this year, and they need to spend a year rebuilding the foundation before adding a young signal caller to the fold.

If Mahomes is a stud, it will obviously hurt, but I have faith in the Bills adding their own really good young QB next year, and am hoping that player winds up in a better situation to succeed than they one Mahomes would have found this season.

We'll have to disagree about whether it's a good situation for a young QB.........veteran team.......veteran OL with a good running game and WITH Watkins they had a well-rounded WR corps.

But ideally Mahomes sits for a year or two anyway......that's the plan in KC.

The flip side of this gamble is Peterman.

If he turns into a great QB after being selected with a pick acquired from the Patriots...........that would be the OPPOSITE of Billsy.

A lot to like about Peterman......I still don't know if he has the ability to consistently repeat the accuracy he has displayed at times and not sure he can stretch the field without arm improvement but right now he's looking promising.

Please explain to me how drafting yet another 1st round corner does in fact "support the development" of a young quarterback next year. IMO, the only excuse for not drafting a qb would be if they didn't think he was a good one.

The rules favor the qb so much that a player such as Brady can play at 40. Years ago he would be beaten half to death at his age. Receivers own the middle these days as well. Teams run sets with 4 or 5 wideouts. A corner only covers one of them, and we drafted other 1st round corner, qb problems notwithstanding. It was dumb and it doesn't matter how good this corner is either, UNLESS all of the quarterbacks drafted at #10 or after suck.

What other kind of corners were in the draft?

If Tre White was the best, why was Lattimore the pick if we didn't trade down?

Tre is the most polished and best pure man/zone/press corner.

Lattimore has a very high ceiling and excels in press man but isn't as efficient in off man or zone. And has hammy issues

Tre also is a more willing tackler

Also...

Lattimore 40- 4.36

Tre-4.45

Edited by Buffalo716

Lattimer has hamstring issues

Lattimore was the pick because he has hamstring issues?

Tre is the most polished and best pure man/zone/press corner.

Lattimore has a very high ceiling and excels in press man but isn't as efficient in off man or zone. And has hammy issues

Tre also is a more willing tackler

Also...

Lattimore 40- 4.36

Tre-4.45

We got the "Robert Woods" of corners in the draft. Fantastic! Edited by jmc12290

....with another (alleged) decent QB class in 2018, don't see where "all is lost" with two 1sts and a total of six picks in the first three rounds.....typical shoulda coulda woulda fine whine from the "experts"....prolly pissed because OBD chose Beane's resume' first...oh well..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Lattimore was the pick because he has hamstring issues?

We got the "Robert Woods" of corners in the draft. Fantastic!

I have no idea what your talking about....but then I seldom do

Lattimore has more potential at corner....however he

a. Has a history of problems with hamstrings

b. Does not fit our D...and we just TRADED a starting corner that doesnt fit our D

I have no idea what your talking about....but then I seldom do

Lattimore has more potential at corner....however he

a. Has a history of problems with hamstrings

b. Does not fit our D...and we just TRADED a starting corner that doesnt fit our D

The Bills were going to pick a CB that didn't fit our D? What?

A few of you guys really understand this...the guy making the point about just drafting the best QB available in round 1 every year would have netted you guys (the Bills) a great QB and all you would have had to sacrifice were some decent position players no outside of Buffalo even know.

Many of the rest of you are still missing the point off how to watch pre season football.

Myself and other KC fans understand that preseason is a time of vanilla schemes and 2nd and 3rd string players playing. We get all that. We also aren't delusional and fail to acknowledge Mahomes makes some throws that really make you scratch your head. We get it. But think of it like this. If this was Peyton Manning, and KC had just traded up to 10 with Buffalo and we had been watching Peyton Manning in these preseason games make some really incredible, special, RARE talent uncoachable amazing throws and plays....and we also watched him make some really questionable dumb rookie throws....do you think most of us would be able to recognize his special talents? Or would all of us, KC and Bills fans, be sitting here saying....oh well, it's pre season, he's playing against 2's and 3's....and look at those questionable throws he made on this and that play.? ....what I am saying is Mahomes has distinct, instantly recognizable special abilities....I can't argue it with measurable stats....until we get to see more. As someone who has watched decades of game manager, mediocre, low yards per attempt, garbage, all I can say is, he's different, and you can SEE it.

to answer another question about what KC fans want...it's 50/50 right now. The argument for Smith is that he "wins". The argument against is that while clearly we can't say with certainty what we have in Mahomes, we do know that Smith "wins" because the good talent on the rest of the roster brings him along for the ride as long as he doesn't screw it up. Alex Smith DOES NOT elevate the roster around him to another level. We think that unless we had a generational defense like the 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos, Alex Smith can't win a super bowl. So yes, there is a major QB controversy in KC right now.

A few of you guys really understand this...the guy making the point about just drafting the best QB available in round 1 every year would have netted you guys (the Bills) a great QB and all you would have had to sacrifice were some decent position players no outside of Buffalo even know.

Many of the rest of you are still missing the point off how to watch pre season football.

Myself and other KC fans understand that preseason is a time of vanilla schemes and 2nd and 3rd string players playing. We get all that. We also aren't delusional and fail to acknowledge Mahomes makes some throws that really make you scratch your head. We get it. But think of it like this. If this was Peyton Manning, and KC had just traded up to 10 with Buffalo and we had been watching Peyton Manning in these preseason games make some really incredible, special, RARE talent uncoachable amazing throws and plays....and we also watched him make some really questionable dumb rookie throws....do you think most of us would be able to recognize his special talents? Or would all of us, KC and Bills fans, be sitting here saying....oh well, it's pre season, he's playing against 2's and 3's....and look at those questionable throws he made on this and that play.? ....what I am saying is Mahomes has distinct, instantly recognizable special abilities....I can't argue it with measurable stats....until we get to see more. As someone who has watched decades of game manager, mediocre, low yards per attempt, garbage, all I can say is, he's different, and you can SEE it.

to answer another question about what KC fans want...it's 50/50 right now. The argument for Smith is that he "wins". The argument against is that while clearly we can't say with certainty what we have in Mahomes, we do know that Smith "wins" because the good talent on the rest of the roster brings him along for the ride as long as he doesn't screw it up. Alex Smith DOES NOT elevate the roster around him to another level. We think that unless we had a generational defense like the 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos, Alex Smith can't win a super bowl. So yes, there is a major QB controversy in KC right now.

Throwing 3 interceptions against 2nd/3rd string players is bad. Well the one really wasn't his fault so I'll give him 2. Yikes.

Throwing 3 interceptions against 2nd/3rd string players is bad. Well the one really wasn't his fault so I'll give him 2. Yikes.

Yes, it is. No one can dispute this fact. Many of us are excited because we think THAT is coachable. We think those things can and will improve over time, whereas, you can either make the incredible plays that he CAN AND DOES make, or you can't. There isn't a coach or system etc that does that....and it is this that we are so excited about. Again...you don't need a number to quantify this...you can SEE this (and I love numbers, but there isn't a number for this)