Let's be objective

Some facts from last year I think we are forgetting

I think we are overlooking production for potential in regards to players. While we've had some decent talent, availability was always lacking.

*Robert Woods only played in 13 games and accumulated 51 rec for 613 yards and only 1 TD

*Sammy Watkins played in 8 games with 28 rec and 430 yards for 2 TD

*Dareus played 8 games with 3.5 sacks

*Shaq Lawson didn't play until week 7 and has looked very promising in camp

*Aaron Williams was out thanks to Jarvis Landry by week 7

*Our leading WR's in TD Rec were Justin Hunter with 4 and Goodwin with 3

*Dan Carpenter had a 76% field goal make percentage and 89% Xp

*Shady was out 1 game but should have been 2 as he was clearly nursing the hamstring injury

*our defense ranked 30th against the run, 21st against the pass, football outsiders ranked our overall defense efficiency at 29th last year.

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

half of those players you mentioned dont even play for us anymore. not sure if that is good or bad by your calculations

Addition by subtraction

Everyone is worried about these players we lost but they didn't contribute massive numbers

Also getting Dareus and Shaq back could help strengthen the defense which was run into the ground by the ryan brothers

Defense plays better and if we are more consistent on offense and (kicking) = more wins

I think Buffalo going heavy into next years draft tells me they believe thier team is old at the top of the roster and not many if any young peices to build around. Sure Watkins could have been. But could have been has been the story of his career thus far. A large amount of highend youth is needed. Having 6 picks in the first 3 round helps solve that.

Edited by Mat68

Addition by subtraction

Everyone is worried about these players we lost but they didn't contribute massive numbers

Also getting Dareus and Shaq back could help strengthen the defense which was run into the ground by the ryan brothers

Defense plays better and if we are more consistent on offense and (kicking) = more wins

I will be shocked if Zay Jones outproduces Woods.

There, I said it.

I think we are overlooking production for potential in regards to players. While we've had some decent talent, availability was always lacking.

*Robert Woods only played in 13 games and accumulated 51 rec for 613 yards and only 1 TD

*Shady was out 1 game but should have been 2 as he was clearly nursing the hamstring injury

*our defense ranked 30th against the run, 21st against the pass, football outsiders ranked our overall defense efficiency at 29th last year.

The problem in 2016 was not the offense or the number of games individuals missed. The offense was more than adequate for the Bills to have won at least 9 games, and likely to win 10 and possibly more. The problem was the defense, which sucked monkey balls. How many opposition RBs ran for 200+ yards against the Bills D? Ajayi ran for 200+ twice and I think at least one other RB hit that mark, too! The problem in 2016 wasn't that Taylor wasn't the proverbial franchise QB or that Watkins missed games or that McCoy missed 1, it was because the defense couldn't stop anybody! Contrary to what some here think, a franchise QB doesn't help a team much if it doesn't have a defense. See the recent records of the New Orleans Saints. :wallbash:

The problem in 2016 was not the offense or the number of games individuals missed. The offense was more than adequate for the Bills to have won at least 9 games, and likely to win 10 and possibly more. The problem was the defense, which sucked monkey balls. How many opposition RBs ran for 200+ yards against the Bills D? Ajayi ran for 200+ twice and I think at least one other RB hit that mark, too! The problem in 2016 wasn't that Taylor wasn't the proverbial franchise QB or that Watkins missed games or that McCoy missed 1, it was because the defense couldn't stop anybody! Contrary to what some here think, a franchise QB doesn't help a team much if it doesn't have a defense. See the recent records of the New Orleans Saints. :wallbash:

Bell ran for 200 as well, while our LBs skated around the field like Disney on ice.

I'm with you Finkle. As much as I hate losing players that I liked, the fact of the matter is they were only marquee players in the minds of us Bills fans, they certainly weren't marquee players because of their on field production. Had we swept the Jets (which we SHOULD have), and just split with the Dolphins (which we COULD have) last season, we would have made the playoffs. I blame sexy Rexy and his evil twin for taking our top 10 defense and turning it into a bottom 5 defense, I feel confident with the new coaching staff and a game plan that makes sense for our personnel, we will drastically improve on that side of the ball. I'm not sure who to give credit to for turning our anemic offense into something palatable, but I'm hoping our new brain trust at One Bills Drive can continue our success (and maybe even improve) our performance on that side of the ball.

I think Buffalo going heavy into next years draft tells me they believe thier team is old at the top of the roster and not many if any young peices to build around. Sure Watkins could have been. But could have been has been the story of his career thus far. A large amount of highend youth is needed. Having 6 picks in the first 3 round helps solve that.

Definitely. Even if the Bills want to trade up to get a QB high in the first round, the 2 first round picks they have should really be enough of an asking price.

They can keep their 2 seconds and 2 thirds and use them accordingly.

man if we can get this defense back into top ten form this team could be really good.

Going back to the 4-3 will do wonders for our defense. At least that's what I believe.

It definitely plays to the strengths of Dareus, Meatball & Hughes, and I am most anxious to see how Lawson does as well.

The potential that our defense has, gives me optimism for this season.

Let's just hope we don't lose any more players to injuries and suspensions.

Amen.

Definitely. Even if the Bills want to trade up to get a QB high in the first round, the 2 first round picks they have should really be enough of an asking price.

They can keep their 2 seconds and 2 thirds and use them accordingly.

Going back to the 4-3 will do wonders for our defense. At least that's what I believe.

It definitely plays to the strengths of Dareus, Meatball & Hughes, and I am most anxious to see how Lawson does as well.

The potential that our defense has, gives me optimism for this season.

Amen.

They'll be new problems. New coaching staff, new schemes, new personell, a lot of vets gone.

Biggest thing last year was the schedule was very easy. A game without Brady. AFC North with weakend Ravens, Bengals, and Browns. 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals. Then look at this year. AFC West, NFC South. Ouch.

The Bills really tailed off at the end of the year. That Oakland game took the wind out of their sails. Not a good sign. The trend arrow is pointing down.

Last year, they stayed relatively healthy. Ragland went down in camp, and Sammy was hurt. Dareus was out for 4 plus a suspension. Perhaps that was due to Rex being a players coach, being lax with penalties and easy practices. Same with turnovers.

4-3 they'll be weak up the middle against the run. I remember some games from back then after Sam Adams and Pat Washington left. Large running lanes.

Zone run is going to tear up the backs. Short passing, plus designed runs, Tyrod's going to get beat up. Rookies in the secondary and WR are going to limit the playbook and everything's going to be new to them. So there's a downside to what the Bills are doing.

They'll be new problems. New coaching staff, new schemes, new personell, a lot of vets gone.

Biggest thing last year was the schedule was very easy. A game without Brady. AFC North with weakend Ravens, Bengals, and Browns. 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals. Then look at this year. AFC West, NFC South. Ouch.

The Bills really tailed off at the end of the year. That Oakland game took the wind out of their sails. Not a good sign. The trend arrow is pointing down.

Last year, they stayed relatively healthy. Ragland went down in camp, and Sammy was hurt. Dareus was out for 4 plus a suspension. Perhaps that was due to Rex being a players coach, being lax with penalties and easy practices. Same with turnovers.

4-3 they'll be weak up the middle against the run. I remember some games from back then after Sam Adams and Pat Washington left. Large running lanes.

Zone run is going to tear up the backs. Short passing, plus designed runs, Tyrod's going to get beat up. Rookies in the secondary and WR are going to limit the playbook and everything's going to be new to them. So there's a downside to what the Bills are doing.

Maybe just hope for the best? Almost sounds like you are reveling in the negativity.

Eichel is Reinhart?

Well, if there is one good this g about those numbers it's that they cost the Ryan Brothers their jobs and a new coaching staff could be enough to change some of those things. It also shows that losing some of the players everyone's complaining about shouldn't make them any worse then last year since most of the numbers they put up can be replaced easily. The only complai t about losing them is that some of them had high hopes/potential to be much better, although they had yet to really show they would actually reach it