Bills GM Brandon Beane 'annoyed' by tanking talk

YoloinOhio

well....

1. He's never not missed games.

2. Even at his healthiest he was barely better than Mathews.

3. Overall, Mathews has been more consistent, healthy, and he's done it with far less at QB than Sammy has

Wrong again. He played in every game in his rookie year.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really feel the Bills are in Tank mode .... find another "winner" to support.

The Bills definitely aren't in tank mode. That's my main issue with the deals. I'm okay tearing it down to build back up. I just don't see the sense in getting a little worse while jettisoning guys that are 22 & 24. If the Bills don't finish worse than the Jets, 49ers, Browns, Skins, Dolphins, Jags and a few others they may have a hard time getting their QB. I don't see most of those teams trading out if their guy is sitting there. If so the cost to move up this year will be insane. It will be much closer to the RG price than the Dion Jordan price. Winning 6-7 games is a nightmare scenario IMO. These trades have them in that range.

well....

3. Overall, Mathews has been more consistent, healthy, and he's done it with far less at QB than Sammy has

That's like saying a Nissan is as good as a Ferrari. Also football health is more a function of luck that DNA. I vividly recall Eric Wood being called injury prone because fat linemen broke his legs twice falling on him. I think Sammy is out of the woods injury-wise and will be great IF Jared Goff doesn't crap himself.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It is officially Tin Foil Hat season.

Even when healthy Sammy was underutilized. Darby was a young talent but didn't fit in the Ginger Hammers scheme.

These two things does not mean the Bills are tanking.

Now, if they cut or tared TT I might change my mind. Until then I see no tank on the horizon.

Lol @ ginger hammer

The smartest guy in the room always gets annoyed when others question his brilliance.

Onto hoping that he is the smartest guy on draft night 18'

This. If he drafts well were gonna have a sick rookie group of rookies to coach up.

well....

1. He started all 16 games as a rookie

2. In the only stretch of his career during which he was targeted more than 5 times per game (the final 9 games of the 2015 season), he was the most productive WR in the NFL.

3. The statement about far less at QB is highly debatable.

That's like saying a Nissan is as good as a Ferrari. Also football health is more a function of luck that DNA. I vividly recall Eric Wood being called injury prone because fat linemen broke his legs twice falling on him. I think Sammy is out of the woods injury-wise and will be great IF Jared Goff doesn't crap himself.

Thats a good comparison especially since matthews broke his sternum on the 1st practice lol

well....

LOL at 2 and 3 :) How many WR's in the league have ever put up 1K yards on 60 catches? Orton, EJ and Tyrod are far superior to Wentz, Bradford and Foles? Right, I learn something new everyday....

Edited by Real McCoy

The Bills definitely aren't in tank mode. That's my main issue with the deals. I'm okay tearing it down to build back up. I just don't see the sense in getting a little worse while jettisoning guys that are 22 & 24. If the Bills don't finish worse than the Jets, 49ers, Browns, Skins, Dolphins, Jags and a few others they may have a hard time getting their QB. I don't see most of those teams trading out if their guy is sitting there. If so the cost to move up this year will be insane. It will be much closer to the RG price than the Dion Jordan price. Winning 6-7 games is a nightmare scenario IMO. These trades have them in that range.

Agreed...the absolute worst is winning 6-8 games again. The Bills ride the mediocrity express seemingly every year, and while I'm more confident there's a coherent plan now, being good enough to pick 15-20 gets this team nowhere.

You don't accumulate 6 picks in the top 100 and NOT be rebuilding. I realize they're cushioning the fall, but trying to rebuild without bottoming out after these moves is a bridge too far.

We are weaker at one WR position as a result of the trades. But we also have a two vets at WR we didn't have.

So compare to last season, where we should have been a playoff team had the D held up:

QB: the same starter and a potentially better backup in Peterman

RB: Shady still there, and J Williams and Tolbert looked good the other night so they should fill in for MG. Plus the best blocking FB in the league who can also catch passes.

TE: Same starter and backup but we'll see if Thomas is ready

OL: same line as last year with # 1 rushing attack. Biggest concern for the entire team is Glenn. If he's outvthey have trouble

WR: lose Sammy which stinks, but comparing to last year I'll take the top four over Hunter, Powell, Woods and Goodwin since Sammy was out

So overall offense is even vs. last year. Will Dennison be more effective than the OCs last year is the question. But they hardly seem way worse because one guy is lost.

DL: same starters with Lawson now ready, and in the 4-3 which seems to be more favorable.

LB: hardest to judge. Zac Brown was a loss. Preston Brown seems better suited to MLB in a 4-3 if we recall his rookie year. Lora and Humber are questions. Hodges and the rookies as backup? Drop off here

CB: White to me replaces Gilmore, and Darby by Johnson or Grimes. Gilmore a good press CB in man, White better in zone and in run support. So even there, much will depend on effectiveness of the pass rush

S: To me Hyde is a big upgrade over with Aaron or Corey, and Poyer is at least break even. Rambo for depth. We're better there.

So overall on D personnel are a wash, improved in areas and losses in others. The biggest thing here is will the players find it easier to play in McDs system? All indications there are yes.

ST: upgrade at PK to be sure, and Schmidt is upping his game with stiff competition in camp

So overall why should anyone think they are trying to lose? Only reason would be to simply impart more negativity on the board. I would rather still see Sammy here, but within him last year we had a shot and no reason why they don't have one this year.

So if I'm Beane it would irritate me too.

Beane's probably the most competitive guy in the room...any room.

Is he the smartest? Who knows.

That said, I get why the tank talk bothers him.

Just stick to your plan. During these 17 years of suckitude, I've gotten the impression that an increasingly bitter media takes its toll on the team to varying degrees.

We are weaker at one WR position as a result of the trades. But we also have a two vets at WR we didn't have.

So compare to last season, where we should have been a playoff team had the D held up:

QB: the same starter and a potentially better backup in Peterman

RB: Shady still there, and J Williams and Tolbert looked good the other night so they should fill in for MG. Plus the best blocking FB in the league who can also catch passes.

TE: Same starter and backup but we'll see if Thomas is ready

OL: same line as last year with # 1 rushing attack. Biggest concern for the entire team is Glenn. If he's outvthey have trouble

WR: lose Sammy which stinks, but comparing to last year I'll take the top four over Hunter, Powell, Woods and Goodwin since Sammy was out

So overall offense is even vs. last year. Will Dennison be more effective than the OCs last year is the question. But they hardly seem way worse because one guy is lost.

DL: same starters with Lawson now ready, and in the 4-3 which seems to be more favorable.

LB: hardest to judge. Zac Brown was a loss. Preston Brown seems better suited to MLB in a 4-3 if we recall his rookie year. Lora and Humber are questions. Hodges and the rookies as backup? Drop off here

CB: White to me replaces Gilmore, and Darby by Johnson or Grimes. Gilmore a good press CB in man, White better in zone and in run support. So even there, much will depend on effectiveness of the pass rush

S: To me Hyde is a big upgrade over with Aaron or Corey, and Poyer is at least break even. Rambo for depth. We're better there.

So overall on D personnel are a wash, improved in areas and losses in others. The biggest thing here is will the players find it easier to play in McDs system? All indications there are yes.

ST: upgrade at PK to be sure, and Schmidt is upping his game with stiff competition in camp

So overall why should anyone think they are trying to lose? Only reason would be to simply impart more negativity on the board. I would rather still see Sammy here, but within him last year we had a shot and no reason why they don't have one this year.

So if I'm Beane it would irritate me too.

the bills definitely lost talent when trading watkins, but i wouldn't be shocked at all if we don't see a dip in passing production...at all.