Bills GM Brandon Beane 'annoyed' by tanking talk

YoloinOhio

I really believe this has more to do with many of the posts we're seeing, on this board, than anything else.

No. It has to do with the recognition of a top tiered player and questioning the decision to trade him away. The same thing would happen if the Bills traded McCoy or any of their best players.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still hate the Watkins trade. I'm not really buying the spin coming from the FO. You still were pegged as. 6.5 win team with Watkins and already accumulated an extra first. Go ahead and still make the Darby trade.

Is the second we got for Watkins the difference in getting the QB in 18? Probably not. If you are trying to move him to accumulate AND win less games...well that's tanking.

Spare me signability. The situation they were in was self inflicted by not picking up the option. You would have had three full years with him (yes at a high pay, but you are already getting younger anyway) and that's basically an eternity in the NFL. When you draft your QB, and the fan base is dumping nearly twenty years of frustration on some poor kid in his early twenties, wouldn't you want a talent like Watkins to be catching balls from him?

The injury argument is also a spin. You can say that about anyone. Matthews is already banged up!

If we have a multiverse simulator, I bet we could run seasons with and without the trades and the Bills' records would be the same in both universes.

i don't think those trades hurt the bills as much as some people are making it out to.

No. It has to do with the recognition of a top tiered player and questioning the decision to trade him away. The same thing would happen if the Bills traded McCoy or any of their best players.

He wasn't going to resign for what the Bills were going to offer. They got something for him. They didn't want to gamble on him any further. This has been explained more than once, yet the crying continues. This is the best reason I can see for it.

the bills definitely lost talent when trading watkins, but i wouldn't be shocked at all if we don't see a dip in passing production...at all.

Hard to take much of a dive when you are already near the bottom.

This has less to do with Sammy, and more to do with the QB and his limitations. That's who should've been sent packing.

He wasn't going to resign for what the Bills were going to offer. They got something for him. They didn't want to gamble on him any further. This has been explained more than once, yet the crying continues. This is the best reason I can see for it.

The bills are teh one that put themselve in this position by not excercising the 5th year option. Which most people fail to realize.

Also franchise tag him the year after.

I just found a minimum, 3 more seasons of Watkins on this team, just like that.

Hard to take much of a dive when you are already near the bottom.

This has less to do with Sammy, and more to do with the QB and his limitations. That's who should've been sent packing.

it's about both, but the qb is certainly part of it. it's watkins playing healthy and tyrod. we'll likely see a new qb this year, but let's face it, even if tyrod was out this year, who is going to play qb that would inflate sammy's numbers? a rookie? a below average veteran? sammy would likely put up average numbers this year, and would have wanted big money. it's a tough situation.

You don't know what was going to happen and they could have franchised, re-signed, or traded him after the season. The idea that people are expressing opposition to the trade because they own Sammy Jerseys is ludicrous.

The bills are teh one that put themselve in this position by not excercising the 5th year option. Which most people fail to realize.

why is this so hard to understand? they could have kept him, but to you pay a guy a 13 million tag for 900 yrds and 7 tds? what if he refuses to sign the tag and wants a trade?

You don't know what was going to happen and they could have franchised, re-signed, or traded him after the season. The idea that people are expressing opposition to the trade because they own Sammy Jerseys is ludicrous.

This season

5th year option

Franchise

Franchise

I now just found 4 more seasons of Watkins if they wanted.

Tanking seems to be a loosely used term. This isn't tanking.

People act like Watkins and Darby were our ticket to the Super Bowl. These moves, plus trading down in the draft, put the Bills in a very good position to draft a player that could be the ticket.

Now if Watkins and Darby become important pieces, while the Bills miss on their QB and flutter, then we're really going to hate the moves.

Why didn't they pick up the option? Because they didn't want to gamble on his health anymore. They know more things about him than we do. You're not talking about the best player in terms of production here by any means. That's what people fail to realize. He wasn't going to be the best receiver in the league just because people want him to be.