Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

i still cant believe how depressed i am about this deal. all i can hear is john murphy's play by play from the PS game where he was extactic about the taylor watkins connection heating up.

brandon bean you screwed up. no matter how you decorate it a turd of a deal still stinks.

I can hear murphs voice not calling sammy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Brown ran a 4.37

Dez Lewis ran a 4.4-5

Rashad Ross ran in the 4.3s

No speed

Hell, Goodwin ran like a 4.2something, right? But we'd agree Sammy is a better deep ball threat, right? Simplified: we agree there's more than 40 time in the discussion of deep threats?

That's not to say the stats nothing but you keep posting it as if a defensive coordinator would somehow be similarly accounting for streater and Sammy

Rams Started Pursuit Of Sammy Watkins When Bills Declined His Option

http://gridironed.com/2017/08/rams-started-pursuit-of-sammy-watkins-when-bills-declined-his-option/

At that point you can sense, OK, maybe theyre not satisfied. Maybe theres a question mark or two because they didnt do the fifth-year option. So to be honest with you, I probably made the first call within that week. From there it probably was a summers worth of calls to try to get this thing done. It was finally consummated on Friday.

Rams Started Pursuit Of Sammy Watkins When Bills Declined His Option

http://gridironed.com/2017/08/rams-started-pursuit-of-sammy-watkins-when-bills-declined-his-option/

I do wonder if this would've been a pre draft move if not for Whaley being retained so long. Or likewise if we would've changed free agent plans knowing the agenda earlier. And if not specifically replacing a WR and CB in august if the total resources could have been greater (trading for need being like drafting for need instead of best player available-best offer available)

@ProFootballTalk

20-minute @PFT_Live chat with Rams G.M. Les Snead starts with the nuts and bolts of the Sammy Watkins trade

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/16/rams-started-pursuit-of-watkins-when-bills-didnt-exercise-fifth-year-option/

That was a good read.

Sounds like they acquired him to be a deep threat. I wonder if they'll use him on the shorter bubble screens (etc) and allow him to do what he excelled at in college and get YAC. We never really got to see much of that in Buffalo.

Sammy's a great deep threat, don't get me wrong. But he has so much more to his game than that. It'd be a shame if LA didn't take advantage of that either.

That was a good read.

Sounds like they acquired him to be a deep threat. I wonder if they'll use him on the shorter bubble screens (etc) and allow him to do what he excelled at in college and get YAC. We never really got to see much of that in Buffalo.

Sammy's a great deep threat, don't get me wrong. But he has so much more to his game than that. It'd be a shame if LA didn't take advantage of that either.

Snead said that McVay sees Sammy as their DeSean Jackson.

Definitely much more than a one trick pony.

Nope. Good deal.

The fact that the Rams already have engineers developing a special shoe for Sammy speaks volumes.

Nope. Bad deal. Maybe one of the worst ever if Sammy is fully recovered from the foot.

And yes...it does speak volumes. As in it tells me that the Rams value him and will do everything in their power to make sure he stays healthy and performs at his best.

The Watkins hate here is absurd and it honestly reeks of bitterness that you just won't own up to.

That's a very revealing comment about your intelligence. Too many table dives is my guess?

It's a funny picture but reeks of jealousy, insecurity and bitterness.

Don't hate Sammy for the **** trade the team you root for just made.

Holy ****. Are you guys serious? It was just a joke. It's ok to laugh you know. Not everything has to be taken so serious. It's football, you know - a game. Man oh man some people sure are super raw and sensitive on this Sammy Watkins subject, huh?

Calling out my intelligence for posting a picture....

And I'm jealous, insecure and bitter too? lol. What are you Sigmund Freud? if you interpreted that much from a simple picture I posted on a message board, are you by any chance for hire? I need a good psychologist.

Thanks though, guys. I needed a good laugh. Especially coming from you ScottLaw considering the stuff you've been posting since this trade happened. Id say that i've basically been nothing but rational about this trade, while you on the other hand...

And I don't hate Sammy BTW. I like him a lot and expect a monster season from him now that he's healthy and I think it sucks that it won't happen with the Bills. But it's not life and death stuff and I'm not so hurt that I can't attempt (and obviously fail) to make a joke about it.

Edited by BillsFan4

That's a very revealing comment about your intelligence. Too many table dives is my guess?

It's a funny picture but reeks of jealousy, insecurity and bitterness.

Don't hate Sammy for the **** trade the team you root for just made.

Nope. Bad deal. Maybe one of the worst ever if Sammy is fully recovered from the foot.

And yes...it does speak volumes. As in it tells me that the Rams value him and will do everything in their power to make sure he stays healthy and performs at his best.

The Watkins hate here is absurd and it honestly reeks of bitterness that you just won't own up to.

There should be a Safe Space forum here for those of you who take this stuff way too seriously.

Holy ****. Are you guys serious? It was just a joke. It's ok to laugh you know. Not everything has to be taken so serious. It's football, you know - a game. Man oh man some people sure are super raw and sensitive on this Sammy Watkins subject, huh?

Calling out my intelligence for posting a picture....

And I'm jealous, insecure and bitter too? lol. What are you Sigmund Freud? if you interpreted that much from a simple picture I posted on a message board, are you by any chance for hire? I need a good psychologist.

Thanks though, guys. I needed a good laugh. Especially coming from you ScottLaw considering the stuff you've been posting since this trade happened. Id say that i've basically been nothing but rational about this trade, while you on the other hand...

And I don't hate Sammy BTW. I like him a lot and expect a monster season from him now that he's healthy and I think it sucks that it won't happen with the Bills. But it's not life and death stuff and I'm not so hurt that I can't attempt (and obviously fail) to make a joke about it.

Wow ... I agree ... lighten up Francis's (Scott Law and Canadian Fan) ...

I'll take that post BillsFan4's light hearted pic post vs. Canadian's Thread that asked others .. which team they were going to watch in 2018 since the bills made the moves they did then he landed on the NFC East ... now my Sigmund analysis of that is Canadian thread is he has commitment issues ... Scott Law ... allow me to submit Exhibit A .. Sammy's injuries ... all BillsFan4 was trying with Exhibit B ... the picture you "objected to" was provide additional protection to prevent future injury ... your objection is overruled ....

That was a good read.

I'm not sure Sammy will be successful on screens in the NFL like he was in college. I feel like you have to be a physical receiver for those to work and he that's not the player he is.

He ran out of bounds once against the Dolphins, so...

Bills fans might just be morons.

Not physical is the last thing I think of with Sammy.

Just watch his release off the line--he straight plows DBs. It's one of the reasons that teams give up the short stuff to him so willingly--if you get in his face he's going to steamroll through you and climb over the top with his speed.

When is Sammy physical? He doesn't make contested catches, he doesn't get a lot of YAC. I can't see him plowing through a LB to get an extra few yards on a screen. Frankly I wouldn't want him to because I'd worry he'll be grabbing his leg when he gets up.

Possibly more like a huge rationalization- that trading away the best receiver on the team, with developed chemistry with our QB, and is ready to play for the first time in a over a year- is somehow a good thing.

Bills fans are nothing if not supremely talented rationalists.

The reality is that our shiny new GM might not know what he is doing. This is a frightening thought that many fans do not want to consider.

Not physical is the last thing I think of with Sammy.

Just watch his release off the line--he straight plows DBs. It's one of the reasons that teams give up the short stuff to him so willingly--if you get in his face he's going to steamroll through you and climb over the top with his speed.

Whatever elite traits Sammy has, they come from his speed/agility and ball tracking skills. I don't think of him as a physical receiver like Julio Jones or AJ Green. I'm surprised anyone does.

When is Sammy physical? He doesn't make contested catches, he doesn't get a lot of YAC. I can't see him plowing through a LB to get an extra few yards on a screen. Frankly I wouldn't want him to because I'd worry he'll be grabbing his leg when he gets up.

You don't remember him running over Ryan Shazier in his final game at Clemson?

It's hard to make contested catches when the QB doesn't really throw contested balls. Though I would say that his 2015 game against KC almost exclusively featured contested catches against Smith/Parker/Berry. I remember the one that set up his 2nd TD vividly--he beat Berry to the ball and then finished the catch by tossing Parker to the ground with one hand.

Whatever elite traits Sammy has, they come from his speed/agility and ball tracking skills. I don't think of him as a physical receiver like Julio Jones or AJ Green. I'm surprised anyone does.

Again, you need to watch him operate from his release. He routinely mauls his way through the jam.

This is probably because you're football takes are on par with Stevie Wonder

Your just realizing this now?

The ****ty football the past 17 years has made them idiots.

Wait until they win a game and the bandwagon starts piling up on here.

On the BBMB the GDT would have 3 or 4 until the Bills took the lead, then 35 jumped in immediately.

Wait until they win a game and the bandwagon starts piling up on here.

On the BBMB the GDT would have 3 or 4 until the Bills took the lead, then 35 jumped in immediately.

They could very well win some games and wind up being better- but it will be in spite of trading Watkins, not because of it.

Why, Oh Why did the BBMB have to die??? :cry:

There were a few really good threads at the time, one with a fan in a dire health crisis getting support from us.

Oh well...

They could very well win some games and wind up being better- but it will be in spite of trading Watkins, not because of it.

Eventually you'll move on from Sammy, I just assumed he would get hurt doing a Paula Abdul dance routine on a 5 yard reception and miss the first 8 games anyways.

There were a few really good threads at the time, one with a fan in a dire health crisis getting support from us.

Oh well...

Eventually you'll move on from Sammy, I just assumed he would get hurt doing a Paula Abdul dance routine on a 5 yard reception and miss the first 8 games anyways.

that's a really poor assumption considering that it would be 180 degrees opposite of his performance to date.

that's a really poor assumption considering that it would be 180 degrees opposite of his performance to date.

He's prone to injury.

Simple as that.

A half-gimp.

A pity, had a lot of potential.

He's prone to injury.

Simple as that.

A half-gimp.

:doh: Unfounded silliness. No doubt you would have said the same about Julio Jones and Dez Bryant. Past injuries that Sammy has sustained are not predictive moving forward.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He's prone to injury.

Simple as that.

A half-gimp.

Football players are prone to injury; that's not precisely a hot-take.

He missed 3 games in his first 2 seasons, playing through most of his issues. One season of missing substantial time out of 3 doesn't mean that it's the norm.

For you to characterize him as missing half-seasons with regularity based on injuries accumulated celebrating is categorically false, as is calling him a half-gimp...and, for that matter, so is stating his "potential" in the past-tense.

You're talking about a guy that produces on par with the Julio/Brown/OBJ types whenever he's been given similar target shares, which I know is unpopular to acknowledge these days, but true nevertheless.

Edited by thebandit27

He's certainly physical. He's good at beating the jam -- the most important "physical" component of being a WR in the NFL.

@DailyNewsVinny

1. When you watch Sammy Watkins practice with #Rams, the impact is like putting Giancarlo Stanton in the middle of teams batting order.

2. The whole dynamic of the batting order changes. Including how other teams attack it

great comp. I've been following training camp reports, and he is apparently the best player out there right now. This trade was so dumb ...

He's prone to injury.

Simple as that.

A half-gimp.

Weak post.

@DailyNewsVinny

1. When you watch Sammy Watkins practice with #Rams, the impact is like putting Giancarlo Stanton in the middle of teams batting order.

2. The whole dynamic of the batting order changes. Including how other teams attack it

Yep...the biggest statistical indicator of how much of a difference he makes is Taylor's YPA with Watkins (8.8) vs without (6.2)

great comp. I've been following training camp reports, and he is apparently the best player out there right now. This trade was so dumb ...

Shocking.

Yep...the biggest statistical indicator of how much of a difference he makes is Taylor's YPA with Watkins (8.8) vs without (6.2)

Shocking.

Can Jordan Matthews (or any other current Bills' WR) impact defenses even when he's not getting the ball? Nope!