Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I hate trading him - absolutely hate it. But a Rams 2nd rounder in 2018 is essentially looking like close to a 1st rounder

Exactly the way I look at it.

The Bills can now afford to trade into the 1st overall pick in next years draft and still have a normal draft.

To me, nothing beats that

CBF

I know the majority is pissed and we have had our good timethrowing out jokes at OBD. So now that I have a few minutes I will explain my fire and fury.

I loved Darby as much as I hate Watkins. I guess that makes me neutral on the two players. Sure Sammy has the tools to become great and could/should have much more value then what they received in exchange. Darby may/may not bounce back but I like his chances and the inexperienced secondary just added a guy falling down the Rams depth chart. The players going out the door aren't why I'm upset....

With Jordan Matthews coming to Buffalo and playing along side Boldin and Zay my biggest gripe is McBeane and Dennison are the Rex Ryan's of offense. Are they going to reinvent the wheel by catering to a running game with blocking WR and a short yardage horizontal passing game!?! Yikes.

I don't expect anymore trades that would indicate a tank, I'm convinced these guys think it's a viable offense and they are surrounding Tyord with the proper pieces.

That's why I'm sick. The fear that we have a whole new set of "smartest guys in the room"

The mindset of everything you just posted was from judging this purely from a 2017 standpoint.

My guess is that if you were to ask McD and Beane, they would be viewing this trade from a 2018 and beyond point of view.

I hate trading him - absolutely hate it. But a Rams 2nd rounder in 2018 is essentially looking like close to a 1st rounder

Idk, I think Sammy with another year on his contract is worth more. So if the plan was to trade him, show him off first, pick up the option. Sammy with 2 years on his contract had to be worth more than Sammy with 1.

They have a pretty good defense. Goff didn't play well but you put Sammy and Woods and Austin with Gurley and a coach that seems to know how to run an offense and they may not suck.

Everything doesn't always end up bad though, how has Goff looked? With an offensive mind an improving young QB and the addition of Watkins they could open things up for Gurley. The defense is legit.

I'd be more PO'd if I was a Rams fan. They gave up a 2nd Rd pick for a player on his final year of his deal w/ a bad Goff @ QB...and no hope to make the playoffs. That's a stupid move.

And that on top of big $ paid out to Austin and Woods.

The mindset of everything you just posted was from judging this purely from a 2017 standpoint.

My guess is that if you were to ask McD and Beane, they would be viewing this trade from a 2018 and beyond point of view.

If that was their answer then the mistake that was made is cutting loose a prospect like Watkins and then drafting a QB high next year. Then you paired your stud QB and WR and scrapped your attempt at designing an offense for Taylor.

Now once you realize it don't work you need a QB and an elite WR because the combination they currently have is not suited for a downfield passing attack.

So is "it's a smart move by the FO because that same FO was too stupid to pick up his option and/or sign him long-term" the new "it was a great trade by the FO to get Sammy because that same FO was going to pick Ebron over Beckham"?

I swear, the Bills could set fire to every house in WNY some fans would be kissing their asses for reducing their heating bill. The appeal to authority on this board is nauseating.

This is absolutely the way to look at it.

The problem from a fan's perspective is the timing of these moves - after many people committed serious cash to a season where Bills superficially were talking up as improvement and targeting playoffs.

Can someone that's watched Gaines explain why a short-armed, small-bodied CB is a good fit? I really hope it's not just because he can tackle.

haha. I hated laughing at this but he will be a savior because he tackled someone 35 yards down field.

We lost more talent than we gained for 2017 but in the end it will not matter. This is a good trade.

Yep.

OBD has most fans by the balls.

Pathetic.

How is trading a 24 YO potential stud receiver a move for the future?

They'll use that 2nd round pick they got for Sammy on a WR. 😂😂

They don't value picks come draft night. Until they show us that they do I refuse to get excited over accumulating picks only to throw them away at a later date.

Beane wasn't here but his buddy was running the draft board that night.

Yep.

OBD has most fans by the balls.

Pathetic.

They'll use that 2nd round pick they got for Sammy on a WR.

It's not, of course.

My favorite is the from Aaron Schatz at FO: https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/896054550737506304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newyorkupstate.com%2Fbuffalo-bills%2Findex.ssf%2F2017%2F08%2Fnational_media_reacts_to_buffalo_bills_trading_sammy_watkins_ronald_darby.html .

Edited by dave mcbride

They'll use that 2nd round pick they got for Sammy on a WR.

Let's revisit the Wayback machine. This is what I said at the time: "That's why I said final piece. If Bills enter next draft with 3 first round draft picks, they have greater ammunition to strike a deal, especially if they need to move up to the top. Would that be a better bargaining chip than offering 2 '18 firsts & '19 first? I don't know, but it must be part of their thinking. And that would be the only justification to trade Sammy. You don't trade him unless you pick a QB high up.

My guess is that if the rumors are coming out, the Bills are far more concerned about Sammy's injury and may be trying to get some value "