The Golden Age of Football is Over?

and yet MMA continues...

not to mention boxing and cage fighting.

MMA is massively safer than NFL and Boxing, it's not even close. A KO in MMA could happen 10 times in a boxing match, and the concussed fighter could still win. NFL has big time concussions and ligament/soft tissue damage. The vast majority of injuries in MMA are broken bones, noses, and cuts. Even though they get punched in the face alot, the damage pales in comparison to that of a boxer, and the longevity of the injuries are much shorter than NFL

That's a joke...

Those guys don't hold a Ritz cracker to the man playing for the Patriots.

If Brady actually got hit, and wasn't bubble wrapped you may be able to actually make a comparison. Unfortunately Brady has an owner/commissioner and horde of zebras to his defense.

Many of the posters on this forum have Western NY ties. I can see why Western NY was never a hotbed of football talent. Being Bills fans are deeply ingrained in our hearts. High school and college football culture is not. I don't see parents in Texas or Alabama stopping their sons from playing football anytime soon. Football will remain alive and well.

Alive and well is different than the astronomical level it is at right now. It will level out with incessant wimpification of America.

Too many snowflakes

Can't argue with this.

I wonder what the life expectancy, or health prognosis for a construction worker is?

I love this argument. Blue collar folks take massive risks in many different industries, and at a fraction of a fraction of the money these players get. I have a relatively safe job (chef), and still I risk cuts and burns, work in a 120° kitchen, and run a chainsaw, axe, and wood splitter daily (for smoker and pizza oven), all for the glorious paycheck of a janitor or garbage man. I am not complaining at all, I would take my life over that of an athlete, but industry hazard is a legitimate thing. Tell HS football players (and they're parents quite frankly) that they will get 30 million over a 6 year career, but you will get several concussions, they will trip ovrr you to sign up.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is dying because the NFL is boring with too many advertisement timeouts. Not enough continuous play... I can't go to a game anymore. I watching at a bar where there is other entertainment or other games going on. At least I can eat during timeouts. Even at home it gets boring on TV.

Trooth! Watched a late 80's game. Bills vs. Fish. Converted from vhs-dvd. The lack of commercials compared to now was huge. Mostly Hertz commercials the entire game. It is amazing color commentators earned their checks back then. Commercial breaks wete few and far between. Now it blows bigtime.

The NFL fails understand the path the league is on. One only needs see the NASCAR nosedive to predict the future of the NFL - build another race track (anywhere), change some of the basic rules (racing in "stages"), paint the seats different colors and don't show the fans on TV so people won't notice the attendance decline.

Edited by Keukasmallies

the $$$ and commercialization of it is progressively turning me off... 3+ hours to watch 22 minutes of action is just over the top. the ads are driving me crazy. rigging it so QB play now determines everything/ the only way to have a winning record sucks; the bottom guy on the team makes $1000 per minute whether on the field or not... its become the NBA or MLB. the players don't identify with team, only with their contract... with all the media emphasis on contracts and $$ and free agency, they seem like military mercenaries paid bought and sold to make war on a distant battlefield and then go home to their mansions on the hill in some faraway place... no community to it at all...

wow, not sure how that all came out... yikes

Edited by jmcraig44

As long as NFL has its anti trust protections $$$ and players will be there for them no matter what happens at the lower levels

The game will die its natural death when it is stripped off its super stars. People will stop watching when the game becomes sub-standard. It could still take 50 years

I have said it before... but IMO these leagues will eventually figure out how to condense the content into somewhat continuous action. It might require having 'live' advertising in broadcast, and maybe ads on playing fields and/or uniforms. But it will be a tradeoff. Games are longer than ever, and attention spans are shorter than ever. People circumvent commercials for the most part.

The end of football as we know it today is coming and there are lot of people who want to cover their eyes when presented with that. It might not be in the next 10 years, but before a lot of us are dead and buried we will not recognize the game we know today.

But hey, lets enjoy it while we can. Go Bills.

You are correct.

In the 1930s the three big sports were Boxing, Baseball and Horse Racing....Boxing and Horse Racing aren't even in the top 10 anymore and Baseball has fallen tremendously. Same thing will happen to football.

You have several things really hurting football going forward, the injuries, the followup lawsuits, over exposure (we are now watching the Combine! Seriously) and the play on the field (over officiated, too many long drawn out reviews, arbitrary rules).

I live in high school football crazy Texas and of fellow parents, at least a third wont let their kids 1o play tackle football and the percentage grows every year.

I am waiting for football (high school first, then college) to be banned in NY, that would be the first with some headline grabbing Attorney General being a SJW hero. Football had to be saved from being banned by Teddy Roosevelt. Also waiting for former College players to start suing the universities, that is coming big time.

The game will die its natural death when it is stripped off its super stars. People will stop watching when the game becomes sub-standard. It could still take 50 years

Football will end up looking like the Pro Bowl, in other words totally unwatchable. I dont think 50, more like 20.

In Mexico is the exact opposit. Every year more kids are choosing Football over Soccer and as a result, more and more high schools are investing in building nice fields and gyms to become the best choice for such kids.

You can attend a high school soccer match and you will see there maybe 50 parents at the most, but you go to a football game and you find thousend of people there, from parents to firends and girlfriends or just fans and former players.

I will totally allow my kids to play, I have a doughter and if she wants to try I will support her. If eventually I have a son I really hope he likes football and wants to play.

In Mexico is the exact opposit. Every year more kids are choosing Football over Soccer and as a result, more and more high schools are investing in building nice fields and gyms to become the best choice for such kids.

You can attend a high school soccer match and you will see there maybe 50 parents at the most, but you go to a football game and you find thousend of people there, from parents to firends and girlfriends or just fans and former players.

I will totally allow my kids to play, I have a doughter and if she wants to try I will support her. If eventually I have a son I really hope he likes football and wants to play.

because soccer is tenor.gif

giphy.gif

It's going to take way less time than that. younger generations are adopting soccer (watching/playing). it's probably only our kids' kids away from a huge slide.

It's going to take way less time than that. younger generations are adopting soccer (watching/playing). it's probably only our kids' kids away from a huge slide.

n1xopc.gifthey've been saying that since the 1980's. Then guess what? In 2000 all of those soccer fields were replaced with LAX fields, or baseball fields. Or just sat dormant.

Soccer is gay. It's for little kids and girls. That's it.

Edited by Boyst62

MMA is massively safer than NFL and Boxing, it's not even close. A KO in MMA could happen 10 times in a boxing match, and the concussed fighter could still win. NFL has big time concussions and ligament/soft tissue damage. The vast majority of injuries in MMA are broken bones, noses, and cuts. Even though they get punched in the face alot, the damage pales in comparison to that of a boxer, and the longevity of the injuries are much shorter than NFL

If Brady actually got hit, and wasn't bubble wrapped you may be able to actually make a comparison. Unfortunately Brady has an owner/commissioner and horde of zebras to his defense.

Alive and well is different than the astronomical level it is at right now. It will level out with incessant wimpification of America.

Can't argue with this.

I love this argument. Blue collar folks take massive risks in many different industries, and at a fraction of a fraction of the money these players get. I have a relatively safe job (chef), and still I risk cuts and burns, work in a 120° kitchen, and run a chainsaw, axe, and wood splitter daily (for smoker and pizza oven), all for the glorious paycheck of a janitor or garbage man. I am not complaining at all, I would take my life over that of an athlete, but industry hazard is a legitimate thing. Tell HS football players (and they're parents quite frankly) that they will get 30 million over a 6 year career, but you will get several concussions, they will trip ovrr you to sign up.

Military folks, firemen and law enforcement officers all take much bigger risks for much smaller paychecks.

The difference is that football is a game. What's the acceptable level of risk for a game?

Where do you live?

In some parts of the U.S., soccer is really big. Where I live in the Seattle area, more of my friends' children play soccer than football. And their games draw large crowds.

Edited by hondo in seattle

YepWaiting for the day the 1st round choice makes less that the year prior.

Didn't that happen the year after Sam Bradford?

Paying for potential was stupid and had to be stopped. Missing on a top pick could cripple a team.

Other than that change in cap structure/CBA, it will continue to rise. The new emphasis will probably be probably getting to free agency quicker, but why would guys with jobs NOW take less for guys in high school and college? It should be interesting to watch it play out.