The Golden Age of Football is Over?

Football is going the way of Boxing. 70 years ago everyone in the world knew who Joe Louis was. 40 years ago everyone in the world knew who Muhammad Ali was. 30 years ago everyone in the world knew who Mike Tyson. Now even die hard sports fans have don't know who the heavyweight boxing champion is. No one cars. It is no longer an elite sport.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, during a preseason game the other night with John Gruden, they were making a big push for getting kids involved in the game again. They talked about the safety element, and how kids today just want to play video games...all the cliches were there...but it was the first time I've watched the NFL actually start to look nervous about their bench.

My 12-year-old has an amazing noggin' for math and science and engineering. No way I'm letting it get scrambled on a football field.

where is this data? I can't find an official link on the National Federation of State High School Associations.

Most recent data they have is for 2014-2015 season with 1,085,182 participants. Nothing for 2016/2017.

2013-2014: 1,094,949 participants

Overall, football has been on a slight decline since 2008/2009, where they had 1,113,062 participants.

http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/

I wouldn't be so dramatic about football going anywhere. It's still #1 in terms of participants according to the data. I'd love to know historically how it has fluctuated. I would assume fluctuations are normal. Is 25,000 (if that's even accurate) completely out of the norm historically? I don't know.

Concussions, knees, shoulders, and life in pain from 30 on. Football no. I played lacrosse from 1977 - 1987 before they had good equipment. Paying for it now. That sport is no picnic. Play golf and stay way from the roids, whores, and selfies like Tiger.

Interestingly, during a preseason game the other night with John Gruden, they were making a big push for getting kids involved in the game again. They talked about the safety element, and how kids today just want to play video games...all the cliches were there...but it was the first time I've watched the NFL actually start to look nervous about their bench.

My 12-year-old has an amazing noggin' for math and science and engineering. No way I'm letting it get scrambled on a football field.

Be careful with soccer too. We had a psychologist neighbor who made concussions his "thing", and the stats were shocking. Especially for girls for some reason.

Oh, and Gruden is a great talking head, but he's a d!ck of a person.

n1xopc.gifthey've been saying that since the 1980's. Then guess what? In 2000 all of those soccer fields were replaced with LAX fields, or baseball fields. Or just sat dormant.

Soccer is gay. It's for little kids and girls. That's it.

" Sure thing dude" say the third and fourth richest athletes in the word.

Soccer is a fine sport. True it's less manly than a sport where one must must chase men around a field trying to bear hug them to the ground into submission while wearing tights. what's that QB ding to that center??