Let's hope this isn't Greggo II.

This reminds me of when we got Gregg Williams. He ran the camp like a disciplinarian...he was the hot name in coaching. I bought into his toughness. I was optimistic.

I'm always optimistic. I felt good when we hired Rex. At least we were relevant. But he was such a clown that he ruined a really good defense.

I believe that the Pegs are fully committed to winning. They spent a lot of money on scouts, leadership, the new GM, and all.

I don't know what else they could do besides what they are doing.

So I have a guarded optimism about the team this year. I'm like the puppy who takes off to chase the ball when the owner fakes the toss. I want the ball.

I like this team. no, I love the team.

We're in WNY for a wedding this weekend. We're going to the game Thursday. It's my first game at the stadium since Drew Bledsoe handed off to nobody and we lost to the Patriots. I can't wait to see the boys run on the field.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greggo was a lunatic. "Cut off the head and the body dies", bounties?, McDermott sounds to be much more of a team builder. His discipline is more nurturing than ruthless from my outsider point of view.

He may fail as GW did, but it won't be because he is anything like him. Completely different guy.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

That would be a good topic. Which coach ruined the better defense Rex or Greggo? Both thought their system was superior and couldn't be flexible with the talent on the team. Both were awful.

Edited by qwksilver

I think that it's very fair TC. The similarities are there for sure. We will see pretty soon how good he is. He might be good and he might not. He's never coached a game so it's tough to tell at this point. It would be difficult to be worse than Rex though. Even if McDermott is the "Tyrod Taylor equivalent of coaching" it's a big step up.

I've had this same fear since McDermott was hired. Most people see Gregg Williams now as a bozo who encourages dirty play, but he was once considered to be one of the brightest young defensive minds of the game. Everyone now remembers the 2000-01 Ravens as a historically great defense, but the Titans actually led the league in total defense (under Greggo).

I really do think that McDermott is legit, but I think it's entirely fair to worry about this exact scenario.

There are literally countless ways to screw this team up. G. Williams certainly brought a unique blend of false confidence and ineptitude to the table. Finding new ways to s#@$ the bed has become part of the fun since winning hasn't been an option.

I think the OP is looking a similarities from 20,000 feet. Once you drill down and look at the men themselves you see differences. There is also a difference between structure and discipline. Players actually embrace structure from someone who is organized.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Rex McD Gwill

Sean is somewhere in between. Not a players coach but not a task master. He believes in team first as can be seen with the sharing times he has players do. It can bee seen on the practice field when he "teaches and encourages players one on one. To Rex all were great all the time. To Gregg it was slip up and you are forever bad unless you climb the ladder again.

This reminds me of when we got Gregg Williams. He ran the camp like a disciplinarian...he was the hot name in coaching. I bought into his toughness. I was optimistic.

I'm always optimistic. I felt good when we hired Rex. At least we were relevant. But he was such a clown that he ruined a really good defense.

I believe that the Pegs are fully committed to winning. They spent a lot of money on scouts, leadership, the new GM, and all.

I don't know what else they could do besides what they are doing.

So I have a guarded optimism about the team this year. I'm like the puppy who takes off to chase the ball when the owner fakes the toss. I want the ball.

I like this team. no, I love the team.

We're in WNY for a wedding this weekend. We're going to the game Thursday. It's my first game at the stadium since Drew Bledsoe handed off to nobody and we lost to the Patriots. I can't wait to see the boys run on the field.

Williams wanted everyone to know how tough he was and how much he was in charge, huge ego a lot like Rex. I haven't seen that from McDermott yet