Manuel was not given the chance to grow

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manuel is a crippled homeless man's Charlie Batch. Anyone who watches college football KNEW he wasn't ever going to be a productive NFL QB on a playoff team.

I still can't believe we wasted a first on the guy.

It's easy to forget the atmosphere from that draft. They truly had no choice but to draft a QB in the first round-- it was a given-- and they decided that rather than go for one of the first round projections of known mediocrity (Geno Smith was considered best of class, remember!) they tried to find the diamond-in-the-rough, and traded down to get him.

All things considered, it could have been worse. Like Geno Smith, for example. We'd probably still be stuck with that bum.

It's easy to forget the atmosphere from that draft. They truly had no choice but to draft a QB in the first round-- it was a given-- and they decided that rather than go for one of the first round projections of known mediocrity (Geno Smith was considered best of class, remember!) they tried to find the diamond-in-the-rough, and traded down to get him.

All things considered, it could have been worse. Like Geno Smith, for example. We'd probably still be stuck with that bum.

Being backed into the 2013 QB corner wasn't some bad stroke of luck that happened to OBD; they did it to themselves by coddling Fitz & refusing to bring in anyone who might pose a threat to him. They liked Russell Wilson the year before, but not as much as they liked TJ Graham.

Being backed into the 2013 QB corner wasn't some bad stroke of luck that happened to OBD; they did it to themselves by coddling Fitz & refusing to bring in anyone who might pose a threat to him. They liked Russell Wilson the year before, but not as much as they liked TJ Graham.

Russel Wilson is exactly the kind of "diamond-in-the-rough" they were looking for. They missed.

"Coddling" seems like a really weird term to use in the Fitz situation. He had a string of really good games, and negotiated a high salary that wasn't warranted, or sustainable. That Fitz wouldn't be returning was a foregone conclusion that put us in a position where the Bills had no choice but to draft a QB in the first.

And, tell me the truth, would you have preferred Geno, the top ranked QB in that draft? At least we got a deal in trading down.

Doh!!!!

Smack myself in forehead

I would agree with this. He was raw nobody questioned that. He was supposed to learn under Kolb but ended up playing and got hurt. that ruined his rookie Compaign. a year later he was pulled within 4 games when the team was sitting at 2-2.

They were in line to get Cam in 2011, but Luck decided to stay in school.

I'm hoping they put Cook on the PS because of EJ being the #2 and we sign Cook off the PS and turn into a Andy Dalton type QB.

EJ was horrid, ok I'm done.

OMG! Why do people think Cook is good? Because of his amazing 57.5 college completion % in college? Is he because he is such a d bag he wasn't even voted captain by his own team? Or perhaps it's was his 1 td, 3 int, 40%, 3.58 ypa amazing start against Houston? Or maybe it is his d bag dad?

That said, I'm glad the fans of Zack Mettenberg and Ryan Mallet have a new obsession. The only thing good about Cook is his sister's fake Rack.

They were in line to get Cam in 2011, but Luck decided to stay in school.

But Some have told me that Cam isn't an improvement over Tyrod? :)

I truly believe the development of qbs can make or break them. But I do think guys like Big Ben and Cam could have been good on almost any team because of their physical gifts. And we just missed out on both of them. :(

People need to understand that coaches see more than fans and the media.

EJ Manuel only got 14 starts, but he had 4 years to prove himself to two different coaching staffs.

Nobody questions his physical potential or attitude. Or that he made nice throws occasionally.

The problem is, EJ just never got better. His biggest flaws as a rookie in 2013 were still his biggest flaws in 2016.

Look at the last game in 2014 (against the Texans) before he was benched for Kyle Orton.

Look at his big chance to step in for an injured Tyrod Taylor in 2015 (against the Bengals and Jaguars).

Then finally his last appearance against the pathetic Jets in 2016's finale.