Ride at fair comes apart

Not temporary ones at fairs, carnivals or the boardwalk at least. The more times you take something apart and reassemble it the more chances for error you introduce.

I don't mind thrill rides but it's always surprising to me that these carnival rides don't see far more issues. Oftenlook poorly maintained and carnival employees don't have the best reputation

I've always treated fair rides like steamed dumplings.

I don't want to know who is assembling them. I don't want to know what goes into assembling them. I don't want to know what they're made of.

I just want to blindly enjoy them with my don't ask, don't tell policy.

Every year, however, I get more and more leery of fair rides. We go to one fair/year and I get more worried every time.

yeah...i'm with everyone about not getting on fair/carnival rides. as others have said, the look of the people running the rides is enough to keep me away. i tend to go just to have a couple of beers, and people watch. i haven't been in a couple of years, but the nys fair isn't too shabby. they really showcase the wineries and breweries in the area. they had an entire area blocked off just for beer and wine tastings. i even put back a couple of moonshine slushies.

Holy crap. We live close to Hershey park, and since we have 4 kids we get season passes. They have that exact same ride there...called "the claw."

I call it the puke factory, but my 7 and 9 year old sons love it, so i ride it with them anyway. i have to stare straight up in the air to keep from getting sick.

two nights ago i let them go on without me, and i must admit it was a little stressful watching their little bodies getting flung back and forth and up and down suspended only by that restraint. but they meet the height requirement, so i guess it's "safe."

I also guess I can assume that the multi-billion dollar enterprise that is Hershey Entertainment has slightly stricter standards for safety and the mechanical integrity of its rides than "Amusements of America." I hope.

Ugh. RIP and condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

Holy crap. We live close to Hershey park, and since we have 4 kids we get season passes. They have that exact same ride there...called "the claw."

I call it the puke factory, but my 7 and 9 year old sons love it, so i ride it with them anyway. i have to stare straight up in the air to keep from getting sick.

two nights ago i let them go on without me, and i must admit it was a little stressful watching their little bodies getting flung back and forth and up and down suspended only by that restraint. but they meet the height requirement, so i guess it's "safe."

I also guess I can assume that the multi-billion dollar enterprise that is Hershey Entertainment has slightly stricter standards for safety and the mechanical integrity of its rides than "Amusements of America." I hope.

Ugh. RIP and condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

I have zero worries about "permanent" rides...and i have ridden that one at Hershey Park a million years ago. Loved it! Think it was one the first "big boy" rides for my son at like at age 6 or 7

I've lived here 20 years and never been to the Ohio state fair. The ride apparently did pass inspection. Very tragic.

Passed inspection means someone signed off on it, not that it was actually inspected properly and they apparently started inspections late because of rain. Who knows how thorough that inspection actually was.

Do you ride in cars? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, many times, and never once has my car or any other car in my vicinity spontaneously disintegrated while driving down the road flinging occupants 20' in the air to land on the highway. If I do happen to hit something, or someone hits me, my car is also equipped with seat belts and airbags not a lap bar and air.

I've always treated fair rides like steamed dumplings.

I don't want to know who is assembling them. I don't want to know what goes into assembling them. I don't want to know what they're made of.

I just want to blindly enjoy them with my don't ask, don't tell policy.

Every year, however, I get more and more leery of fair rides. We go to one fair/year and I get more worried every time.

My whole family died at the fair.