The Tyrod Taylor Question

Oh, so you meant, how's the deep ball, how's shady, and we need a great defense and then we're okay?

Deep ball is fine when Watkins is healthy and on the field.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/07/west-coast-offense-tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills/

"Some of Taylor’s struggles can be attributed to injuries suffered to Buffalo’s key skill players, though. In the 15 games that LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Charles Clay all played in, Taylor completed 64-percent of his passes for 3,362 yards, throwing 26 touchdowns and six interceptions. In the 14 games without either one of those players, those numbers dropped to a 61.2-percent completion rate, 2,697 passing yards with just 11 touchdowns and six interceptions."

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep ball is fine when Watkins is healthy and on the field.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/07/west-coast-offense-tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills/

"Some of Taylors struggles can be attributed to injuries suffered to Buffalos key skill players, though. In the 15 games that LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Charles Clay all played in, Taylor completed 64-percent of his passes for 3,362 yards, throwing 26 touchdowns and six interceptions. In the 14 games without either one of those players, those numbers dropped to a 61.2-percent completion rate, 2,697 passing yards with just 11 touchdowns and six interceptions."

Those stats are about Sammy, Woods, McCoy and Clay. Edited by jmc12290

If Rex had Kirk Cousins do you really think they still run the ball that much. They ran the ball so much because they knew Taylor was limited as a passer. If Rex kept calling run with Cousins he would audible to a pass play, I don't even think Taylor knows what audible means.

Probably. That's what the offense was all about, running the ball. When you got a player like shady you run it as much as he can.

Those stats are about Sammy, Woods, McCoy and Clay.

They are about all of them. Sammy, Woods, McCoy, Clay, TT, Shady, O'Leary, etc. They are offensive stats IMO. You can't say Sammy was good and TT was bad when some of the playmakers aren't even playing.

Edited by The Wiz

Probably. That's what the offense was all about, running the ball. When you got a player like shady you run it as much as he can.

They are about all of them. Sammy, Woods, McCoy, Clay, TT, Shady, O'Leary, etc. They are offensive stats IMO. You can't say Sammy was good and TT was bad when some of the playmakers aren't even playing.

What?

This is what concerns me with the offense.

The Bills have mastered !@#$ing up things that worked well from previous regimes throughout the drought.

Wouldn't shock me if that continues with the new offense under Dennison this year.

I'm guessing it will be a combo of things they are doing better and things they are doing worse.

Wentz is going to be an interesting one. At this point he can be anywhere from awful to a franchise QB. Usually after that many starts we have a better sense for the floor and the ceiling. From week 5 on he was one of the worst starters in the league. He was 285 of 472, 60.4%, 232 YPG, 9 TDs and 13 INTs. He only had 2 games over a 90 rating after week 4 and none over 95. His QB rating was over 100 in 3 of the first 4 games. Which player is he the guy that started the year or the guy that finished it?

After there was some tape on him defenses realized he was a check down artist and treated him accordingly.

This is what concerns me with the offense.

The Bills have mastered !@#$ing up things that worked well from previous regimes throughout the drought.

Wouldn't shock me if that continues with the new offense under Dennison this year.

...so then if it does NOT continue under the new Dennison offense and it works, now what?......

Good post.

Your expecting turnovers to come down

They might not.....

It's not the passing yards, John. It's his command of the game. The turnovers will come down, but you can't "teach" a player to make plays like Winston can. I think Tyrod plays scared -- like he's afraid to make a mistake lest he'll lose his job. Winston doesn't give a f**k -- he's just trying to win.

"He is just trying to win"

Exactly how is that working out for him? His team is picking ahead of us in the draft EVERY year.

You have to control the ball in order to win the game....if you are making bonehead mistakes with the ball at key moments.....you dont win

It really is no different then the game manager who WONT make the pass when the game is on the line....neither one wins the game. You have to be smart at crucial times in the game and Winston is not.

We should have won the first jets game. Then for the Dolphins games we were trampled by Jay Ajayi. If the defense performed better, we win those 2 games and then we are 10-5 going into the jets game. We definitely would have went in seriously and played well to guarantee our playoff spot.

That Jay Ajayi game was embarrassing. The defense made him look like a HOF god incarnate. This is part of the reason I don't worry about Tyrod, if the defense plays that bad, it doesn't matter how good TT plays.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0684044527173900519-4

I can't wait to hear news that he's actually sharper in practice. I saw another update saying that him and Sammy are having a hard time connecting and I saw another one saying he wasn't to sharp.

I hope this is just early season jitters. Please let it be.

The title of this thread is awful. If the topic isn't interesting enough, or novel enough to have a title that isn't some kind of bait, I wish people wouldn't bother.

Your expecting turnovers to come down

They might not.....

"He is just trying to win"

Exactly how is that working out for him? His team is picking ahead of us in the draft EVERY year.

You have to control the ball in order to win the game....if you are making bonehead mistakes with the ball at key moments.....you dont win

It really is no different then the game manager who WONT make the pass when the game is on the line....neither one wins the game. You have to be smart at crucial times in the game and Winston is not.

No one has ever told this man you miss 100% of shots you don't take.

Shame.

worrying can cause ulcers.

and things like that

I'm really not concerned with other teams. However the qb situation for the Bills have been outright embarrassing. And there have been quite a few misses along the way. As bad as the Browns have been their luck have been better then the Bills. The Bills have the longest drought in the league. Since Jim Kelly and Doug Flutie look what the Bills been getting at QB, compared to what they could've had. I just would like to see changes.

you have not hit the reset button since ownership change and a full blown Staff exorcism.

Its the red button on the back of the VCR. Its says " Do Not Press" but go ahead and give it a shot. !7 years is too long to not change a mindset my Friend.

Go for It !

...new day....new dawn...new era....new offense...potentially a new TT.....and a KNOWN new OC in Dennison.....so stop launching these new TT yap threads.......they're older than my Grandma's Confederate flag shorts and just as stale....Jesus, get over it.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If the guy connected on his passes hitting players in stride he would have more 300 yard games. Has he even passed for 300 in a regular game that didn't go into OT?

Bottom line is that Taylor is not a good enough passer to carry this team to the playoffs.

If Rex had Kirk Cousins do you really think they still run the ball that much. They ran the ball so much because they knew Taylor was limited as a passer. If Rex kept calling run with Cousins he would audible to a pass play, I don't even think Taylor knows what audible means.

Rex did not call the Offense. He barely called Defense and how'd that go

Edited by 3rdand12

which part?

This part.

Really Crusher. It's not even a question that a QB who ranked bottom 5 in passer rating, YPA, and just about every efficiency stat, is going to play better than Tyrod this year. Even for you this is silly.

Sorry, but the type of offense you run and what the QB is asked to do means a whole lot.

Nobody will question who is better after this season...it will be that obvious.

There are 52 other players on the team that need you to not lose the game for them as well......keep that in mind.

This is true.

However the QB has the most influence and control above all the other players by a pretty big margin. Every play starts with his hands on the football and he decides what to do with it and executes it.

So yes, all players MUST do their part, but the QBs part is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY bigger and more important.

That's why QBs get the glory when we win and the ire when we don't. He's far from just one of the guys (which is what Trent Edwards thought).

It's not the passing yards, John. It's his command of the game. The turnovers will come down, but you can't "teach" a player to make plays like Winston can. I think Tyrod plays scared -- like he's afraid to make a mistake lest he'll lose his job. Winston doesn't give a f**k -- he's just trying to win.

That says at least as much about the culture in Buffalo as it does about Tyrod.

Sorry, but the type of offense you run and what the QB is asked to do means a whole lot.

Nobody will question who is better after this season...it will be that obvious.

Id say that you might actually fade away after making a statement like that sir....but we all know that you will point to passing yards as some kind of win

Here's 15 in no particular order who are better than Tyrod:

Brady Big Ben Luck Rivers Carr Smith Manning Cousins Stafford Rodgers Ryan Newton Brees Winston

Wilson

He's in a tier with these guys:

Flacco Tannehill Dalton Mariota Wentz Prescott Bradford Palmer

Again, we were talking about the 2015 season...

I really wish people would read all the words in a post before they respond.

I don't entirely disagree here, but I think you've mistaken the conversation a bit. Transplant was talking about how you'd rank the QB's 2015 season specifically.

In 2015, Luck played in 7 games and didn't look good; Ben played in 12 games, had a worse TD% and nearly triple the TO%; Carr had decent overall numbers on high volume, his YPA and Turnovers suffered because of it; Smith had fewer YPG, worse YPA, and scored fewer TDs and 1 more INT than Tyrod in 2 additional games; Ryan had 3 fewer TDs and 15 more TOs in 16 games, and a very similar YPA to Tyrod.

That's not to say Tyrod is a better QB right now than any of them (though I think he's better than Smith), but based on that year alone he produced better than some IMO.

Thank you. Luck stunk in 2015. Taylor was better than Winston in 2015.

That's just 2 from his "better than" list.

But I really wish this board (and thread, in particular) would stop consisting of posters who see certain words or parts of posts and talk about them completely out of context :doh:

I didn't look back through this thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been posted. But this is a pretty damn cool story on TT -

Why Tyrod Taylor paid for Bills teammates to visit in offseason -

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/why_tyrod_taylor_paid_for_sammy_watkins_other_buffalo_bills_to_visit_offseason.html#incart_river_index

"Players came to work with Taylor in shifts. He paid for everything for every player. Tight ends Charles Clay, Nick O'Leary and Logan Thomas made it down. So did fullback Patrick DiMarco and running back LeSean McCoy, who also lives in Atlanta for the offseason. Wide receivers Andre Holmes, Walter Powell, Dez Lewis, Zay Jones and Watkins all made it down. Taylor put them all up in hotels and fed them. He organized workouts during the day and took the guys golfing or bowling in the evening."

"The last week of work might have been the most significant. By the time Watkins got to Atlanta, it was just he and Taylor for the week. Watkins' luggage got stolen, so Taylor gave him clothes for the week. Watkins got an up-close look at how his quarterback works. At 8 a.m., Taylor does pilates. At 10 a.m., Taylor does an hour of speed work followed by an 11 a.m. lift. Only after all of that did the on-field work start with receivers, and that included at least 100 passes per day at St. Pius X Catholic High School in Georgia."

""First of all, I didn't know we was going to do all that," Watkins said. "I'm just coming down thinking I'm gonna have fun, be a receiver and run some routes. He called me, 'Hey be here at 10, be here at 9.' We would go out to the facility that he's working with. He's got a crazy guy that works out. He's got us out there freaking dying before we even get out there and pass. So I see what he's been doing. I've never seen a quarterback run as much as he does. Being in shape, taking care of his body, eating right, sleeping right. I mean that's the whole day. He's finding something to work on with his body to be prepared."

If this kid fails in Buffalo it definitely won be for lack of trying! Between stuff like this, and him being the first guy at OBD and last to leave every single day, you have to admit whether you like him or not that his drive, work ethic and commitment level are very impressive.

I didn't look back through this thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been posted. But this is a pretty damn cool story on TT -

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/why_tyrod_taylor_paid_for_sammy_watkins_other_buffalo_bills_to_visit_offseason.html#incart_river_index

"Players came to work with Taylor in shifts. He paid for everything for every player. Tight ends Charles Clay, Nick O'Leary and Logan Thomas made it down. So did fullback Patrick DiMarco and running back LeSean McCoy, who also lives in Atlanta for the offseason. Wide receivers Andre Holmes, Walter Powell, Dez Lewis, Zay Jones and Watkins all made it down. Taylor put them all up in hotels and fed them. He organized workouts during the day and took the guys golfing or bowling in the evening."

"The last week of work might have been the most significant. By the time Watkins got to Atlanta, it was just he and Taylor for the week. Watkins' luggage got stolen, so Taylor gave him clothes for the week. Watkins got an up-close look at how his quarterback works. At 8 a.m., Taylor does pilates. At 10 a.m., Taylor does an hour of speed work followed by an 11 a.m. lift. Only after all of that did the on-field work start with receivers, and that included at least 100 passes per day at St. Pius X Catholic High School in Georgia."

""First of all, I didn't know we was going to do all that," Watkins said. "I'm just coming down thinking I'm gonna have fun, be a receiver and run some routes. He called me, 'Hey be here at 10, be here at 9.' We would go out to the facility that he's working with. He's got a crazy guy that works out. He's got us out there freaking dying before we even get out there and pass. So I see what he's been doing. I've never seen a quarterback run as much as he does. Being in shape, taking care of his body, eating right, sleeping right. I mean that's the whole day. He's finding something to work on with his body to be prepared."

If this kid fails in Buffalo it definitely won be for lack of trying! Between stuff like this, and him being the first guy at OBD and last to leave every single day, you have to admit whether you like him or not that his drive, work ethic and commitment level are very impressive.

Thank you for that

Sounds like a guy who only cares about money and stayed in Buffalo because it was the most financially viable option for him to get rich and hoard all his money away. :doh:

Is it really ridiculous when team's don't respect the pass? Do you think there's no correlation between his failure to win close games and his lack of passing ability?

I of course know how you will respond to this, but many others can see how passing ability is more valuable than a QB scramble.

It's a shame how you disregard all other thoughts if they don't align with your own.

You know what they say about a closed mind...

I actually don't.

Can you tell me what you've apparently heard a bunch of times about a closed mind? :flirt:

Wentz will show you just how far ahead he is in regards to TT this season...not even a question.

I find it hilarious that this is even a thing.

Well, it's a thing because Taylor was clearly better than Wentz last year.

You're really just out in left field here...

If you want a Taylor vs Wentz/Winston bet I'm all ears.

Winston will end up as a more athletic Phillip Rivers, Wentz will be a stud.

Taylor will try to not lose another 10 mil,

***if he started to play fearless like Winston he might break the bank.

I really think these kinds of predictions are interesting discussion points, but also really just wild stabs in the dark.

I bet no one here admits to being one of them, but by the end of the 2012 season Kaepernick and RG3 were going to be the next "studs."

Now look at them.

In 2014 Ryan Tannehill apparently took the step into being the next "elite" guy.

Is he even close to elite after 2 more seasons?

You keep making these "bold predictions" if you want. You're gonna gloat if you're right and deny if you're wrong.

I generally try to stay away from these types of dumb predictions and the bets like the one commonsense tried to get me into earlier because, well, I don't know crap about the future and why pretend I do?

I will say confidently I was still a Kaepernick sceptic - he was another where the problems were not the plays he made but the ones he didn't. I have been consistent on Kaep through the highs and the lows. An NFL starting Quarterback but ultimately too limited to be a true franchise guy.

I was convinced on RGIII but was one of the first off the bandwaggon after watching a really good Kurt Warner XO on NFLN that left me with no choice but to believe it wasn't the injury holding him back it was his inability to read defenses.

I really think these kinds of predictions are interesting discussion points, but also really just wild stabs in the dark.

I bet no one here admits to being one of them, but by the end of the 2012 season Kaepernick and RG3 were going to be the next "studs."

Now look at them.

In 2014 Ryan Tannehill apparently took the step into being the next "elite" guy.

Is he even close to elite after 2 more seasons?

You keep making these "bold predictions" if you want. You're gonna gloat if you're right and deny if you're wrong.

I generally try to stay away from these types of dumb predictions and the bets like the one commonsense tried to get me into earlier because, well, I don't know crap about the future and why pretend I do?

Did you watch any Tampa games last year ? I don't see what's so bold about it.

Have you explained the difference between Kaepernick and Taylor yet ?

Running from commonsenses bet is odd, you've posted 56,000 words on the virtues of Taylor but won't stand behind him in a free bet vs Mike Glennon.

That's a whole lot of passive aggressive fluff.

Edited by Maury Ballstein

TT has everything you want in a QB except accuracy......and that will be his downfall.

TT is a stud....but we need better.

just get the "better" QB in here BEFORE moving on from TT.

a bird in the hand is worth three in the bush....or something like that.