Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

that's just a misconception of sorts.

it's not the people i hang with. i actually don't hang with a regular group most of the time; and the group i am around most is not the one i actually choose to be around so much as it happens if i can say without getting detailed

those who are transplants are more judgmental to those outsiders than those from the area. the average carolina resident in the non city just wants to be left alone and will not harm or bother anyone.

Maybe we should just stop with silly generalizations all together? I mean if you met me, you would assume every guy from North Buffalo is a jacked, super handsome, chick magnet and that isn't the case at all. :)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should just stop with silly generalizations all together? I mean if you met me, you would assume every guy from North Buffalo is a jacked, super handsome, chick magnet and that isn't the case at all. :)

go on...

Weird they would fire him this time of year. Some behind the scenes friction must have come to a head. Wish the guy well.

with who?

i may have missed it but...

they have no president

no gm

no assistant gm

just lost a coordinator

have a qb coach on the way out.

newton loved dorsey, didn't like the OC, this could cause cam to want out

A couple of things:

- Beane got in the life boat on the Titanic instead of playing as the ship was going down. He's basically Kool & the Gang from Steve Harvey's set in Original Kings of Comesy. That's a good decision.

- Secondly someone wondered if he'd go back to Carolina because he lived in the South his whole life. North Carolina isn't the south it's the Mid-Atlantic at best. Here's a quick guide to determining, "is that the South?" If the state university plays in the SEC it's a yes with a couple of exceptions. Kentucky is too far north, Missouri is too far mid-west and Florida is its own little world. Texas functions like Florida. That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana as "the south."

I count Kentucky in.

Much of the fringe is probably more regional than state lines. Florida pan handle? Deep South. South Florida? Whole different beast.

DC suburbs vs rural Virginia another example.

Similar to the SEC example-- Name a state a couple from Long Island might be expected to move to in that broader "south." They might retire to south Florida or take a job in Virginia or end up in North Carolina... but you never picture a move to Mississippi, or Arkansas, or Alabama or Louisiana or... outside of a couple select cities. There are states on this side of the Mason Dixon that have seen a lot more outsiders come in than others.

I agree with your general premise that if you ask a high school kid in Mississippi to define the south, it's going to look far different than the middle class suburban ny'er that pulls the census map.

Edited by NoSaint

I count Kentucky in.

Much of the fringe is probably more regional than state lines. Florida pan handle? Deep South. South Florida? Whole different beast.

DC suburbs vs rural Virginia another example.

Similar to the SEC example-- Name a state a couple from Long Island might be expected to move to in that broader "south." They might retire to south Florida or take a job in Virginia or end up in North Carolina... but you never picture a move to Mississippi, or Arkansas, or Alabama or Louisiana or... outside of a couple select cities. There are states on this side of the Mason Dixon that have seen a lot more outsiders come in than others.

I agree with your general premise that if you ask a high school kid in Mississippi to define the south, it's going to look far different than the middle class suburban ny'er that pulls the census map.

Kentucky to me is like "y" as a vowel. I've counted them some and excluded them at other times. I absolutely agree on transplants and parts of states. I go to Mullet Toss every year and the Confederacy ever formed again I think that they'd move the capital from Richmond to the Flora-Bama. I also go to Lauderdale every year and it is a 180 from Perido Key. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just focus on the last sentence. Those 7 states are the whole list. If anyone tells you differently they are lying. Associating NC with the South is like associating Buffalo with NYC. They can put whatever discriminatory laws they want in place but they are still a far cry from the general disdain for those who are different that those other states share.

That's maybe the deep south. I have friends from Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia who would say you are categorically wrong, and would even go as far as to point out blood from their state on confederate battlefields as evidence. And while I don't have any friends there, I've heard Kentuckians refer to themselves as southern plenty of times. Floridians too.

Heh heh heh. Good point.

In any case, I wonder whether Beane would have been the successor there. My sense is that he would have but it's not like I have sources or anything. I've only read the stories, but it's interesting to speculate.

Edited by Thurman#1

the NFCS hasn't had a repeat Division Champ since 2002. Yes, they've made the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but as a franchise, they're erratic. The Pats* and -well us and NYJ & MIA are the model of consistency. :wallbash:

Not true.... the 2014 and 2015 Panthers went back to back.... tho they won it at 8-7-1 in 2014.

I vowed to move on but this was fun: https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/which-states-are-in-the-south/amp/

P.S: I apologize for the thread derailment but does anyone really give a crap about fat Dave Gettleman getting canned? I promise to stay on topic once camp starts. It's the offseason!!

JMO, but I like the direction the thread is going. An irrelevant team fires it's GM? blah blah blah..'nother off season topic, vaguely associated with Bills news. This thread now has teeth! :lol:

I haven't weighed in on the North vs. South debate, but I've lived half my life in the northeast and half in NC so I'll give my own interpretation: NC is a southern state with a heluva lot of northern "flavor."

In the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) there's southern tradition but a heavy northern influence; I run into just as many (if not more) folks from other places as I do those who grew up here. Same in Charlotte. Get outside those "urban" areas, however, and it's as south as south can be.

I can't speak for how Alabamans and Mississippians think of NC, because I don't visit those vestiges of lost civilization. But NC is still the south.

If it's any consolation guys we have the same thing over here...... Stoke-on-Trent (which is where I am originally from) is technically midlands but it is much more culturally similar to Liverpool and Manchester (which are north west and about an hour away) than Birmingham which is midlands and also about an hour away.

If it's any consolation guys we have the same thing over here...... Stoke-on-Trent (which is where I am originally from) is technically midlands but it is much more culturally similar to Liverpool and Manchester (which are north west and about an hour away) than Birmingham which is midlands and also about an hour away.

holy crap, I guess we ain't talking about Gettleman anymore. lol.

so there's like different cultures in English cities eh? In what sense? Pubs are different? different cuts of chips?

Does anyone have some concerns that they just let Beane walk and then fired Gettleman? If they loved Beane wouldn't you have expected them to drop Gettleman and keep him? It's kind of like when the Bucs fired Lovie so that they could keep Koetter.

That's what I said on the first page. This was planned. Much like the Whaley move. With Whaley they waited till drafted was done. This time they waited until FA moves have been settled. This decision was made much earlier. Not just a spur of the moment as some are thinking due to vet contract talks.

holy crap, I guess we ain't talking about Gettleman anymore. lol.

so there's like different cultures in English cities eh? In what sense? Pubs are different? different cuts of chips?

Pubs, music, attitudes to sport.... cuisine.... traditional industry.... even the racial profile of the people who live there in terms of which waves of immigration settled in different places. Basically all the things that would be different in different cities around the world.

Some of the comments coming out from players (Jon Beason, Steve Smith et.al.) is alarming and makes me wonder about the character of our new GM Beane. Is he a disciple of Gettleman? Did he praise his practices? Or is he his own man that also felt the same negative way about his old boss?

Some of the comments coming out from players (Jon Beason, Steve Smith et.al.) is alarming and makes me wonder about the character of our new GM Beane. Is he a disciple of Gettleman? Did he praise his practices? Or is he his own man that also felt the same negative way about his old boss?

Beane pre-dated Gettleman. He is more a Marty Hurney disciple if anything.