Who's closer... Bills or Sabres?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabres are still a year away from playoffs and 3-4 years from a serious Cup run (when Nylander and Middlestadt sp) are ready to join the core. Ennis and Moulson will be gone and our goalie situation will be settled. Eichel, Okposo, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Nylander, Middlestadt, Risto, Guhle, McCabe, Antipin. Filling in the rest should be easy and hopefully Kane brings in a future player.

I honestly don't ever expect the Bills to make the playoffs again and certainly can't imagine a Super Bowl. Not until there is a franchise QB will I be able to even discuss a playoff opportunity. I feel good about the Coach and GM but that is going to take some time to shake out.

Still a year away? good grief

Sabres appear to be fixing the defense but have to extend Eichel, who has to see things improving or he's gone. Bills have a lot of fixing to do, as always, but the new regime looks promising. Unfortunately, and this continuously bothers me, losing Gilleslee may well be a bigger loss than it appears to many. And that loss amplifies the ongoing concerns about certain remnants in the front office. The broom did not catch everything. Bottom line is that since both organizations have new leadership, both on and off the field/ice, anything is possible and it's hazardous to make predictions given the unknowns.

I think that the Bills are closer to making the playoffs. Last year, with a terrible head coach, they were very close. Had they won the second Miami game, which they really should have, they would have started Taylor in the final game against the Jests, would have had something big to play for in that game, would have won that game, and would have gotten in as a Wild Card. With much better coaching and discipline this year (and beyond), I see the Bills getting into the Wild Card mix.

As to being closer to winning a championship, I think the Sabres are closer. The Bills have enough talent to be competitive and qualify for the playoffs, but they don't have the top end talent that it takes to win it all. The Sabres have a bunch of young, talented players that could be the foundation of a championship caliber team. Others have mentioned the talent: Eichel, Rinehart, Kane (if they keep him - and the player they get in return if they trade him), Okposo, Ristolainen, Lehner form a very solid core that COULD mature together into a contending team. The Bills top talent has issues: McCoy is great, but on the wrong side of the age scale, Dareus is talented and young, but has issues, Watkins is injury-prone, Incognito and Kyle Williams are on the downside of their careers age-wise, etc. Ragland, Lawson, Zay Jones, LaDarius White and others have yet to prove themselves in the league.

Solid move, clearly they are fixing the blue line issues. I like bringing pommi back as well.

Don't mind dumping Ennis either. Liked Foligno, but sometimes you gotta give a little to get what you want.

Both are a ways out so who knows. So many things would have to come together for both franchises that it's impossible to predict.

If I had to randomly guess I'd say it's the Bills, because if they can ever find a top QB they'll be half way there in today's NFL. There are probably only 10 teams or so with a QB that's good enough to win a Super Bowl with so if you are one of them then you have really improved your odds.

Whereas in the NHL you need more more of a critical mass of talent... unless you can find the next Hasek or something- a once in a generation type player.

Face value, I like the Housley hire more than McDermott.

But apples/oranges.

I'd say Sabres will be a playoff team before Bills.

the OP isn't asking about making the playoffs. Obviously, that would be the Sabres. He's asking about 1st to win a Championship.

I doubt any of us will be alive IF either ever does..

Sabres- 50 percent of teams get in the playoffs- odds in their favor. Once in the quest to the Cup is all about who is clickin on all cylinders going in. Look at Nashville, if Johannsen doesnt go down they most likely make it to the finals and win.

Edited by billsfan_34

the OP isn't asking about making the playoffs. Obviously, that would be the Sabres. He's asking about 1st to win a Championship.

I doubt any of us will be alive IF either ever does..

You have to make the playoffs to have a shot at a title.

So I've heard.

Sabres by a mile. They have a generational talent at a critical position and are solid down the middle, key in the NHL. They have young talent around now with some younger players coming soon. The defense has gotten better just since the end of the season. That could be their short term issue. Goaltending is good enough to get them to the playoffs with the improved D and an injury free, more experience O. Good playoffs shot this season.

TT + Brady means no division title. Inarguable point. That means fighting for two wildcard spots. So let's hypothetically say Oakland, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis win their divisions. If you want to argue with those picks, great that proves my point because the teams you would argue would win the division are what I think are wild card contenders the Bills can't beat right now... Tennessee, Denver, LA Chargers, Kansas City (thats a tough division and will have one wild card team) Cincinnati.

If anyone thinks a team that is over/under 6.5 right now is a legit wild card contender, I want what you're dropping.

Projecting beyond the current season is useless.

Sabres by a mile. They have a generational talent at a critical position and are solid down the middle, key in the NHL. They have young talent around now with some younger players coming soon. The defense has gotten better just since the end of the season. That could be their short term issue. Goaltending is good enough to get them to the playoffs with the improved D and an injury free, more experience O. Good playoffs shot this season.

TT + Brady means no division title. Inarguable point. That means fighting for two wildcard spots. So let's hypothetically say Oakland, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis win their divisions. If you want to argue with those picks, great that proves my point because the teams you would argue would win the division are what I think are wild card contenders the Bills can't beat right now... Tennessee, Denver, LA Chargers, Kansas City (thats a tough division and will have one wild card team) Cincinnati.

If anyone thinks a team that is over/under 6.5 right now is a legit wild card contender, I want what you're dropping.

Do you resemble a mushroom? Because you seem like a really fun-gi!!

Falcons o/u last year was 7.5 and they played in the Super Bowl. Miami went to the playoffs with an o/u of 7. Were those teams "legit wild card contenders?"