Best Opening Sequence to a Movie

boyst

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the family at the memorial/cemetery and/or the part showing dday?

Both.

Other classics that grab you right off the bat:

Inglorious Bastards

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Several Bond movies

Edited by KD in CA

I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but as far as the Horror genre goes, the opening scene to Scream was incredible. That was a gruesome and chilling murder scene. What a way to start a movie.

Some of my favorites that I can recall:

Se7en

The Shining

Goodfellas - Also has an amazing opening line to go with it "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster"

Jurassic Park

Mission Impossible 3

Funny Games - which is actually a tip of the cap to The Shinning

The Big Lebowski

And pretty much what others have said, Indiana Jones trilogy, some of the Bond films and the Dark Knight.

I'd also say pretty much anything David Fincher does opening scene wise to a movie, is pretty good. Fight Club, The Social Network, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo along with Se7en. Same goes for Kubrick films.

My vote goes to Fight Club--right away you know the movie isn't quite what you expected walking in

Honorable mention: not an all-time great movie, but the opening scene to The Descent is as gripping as any suspense film I can remember.

Other notables that haven't been mentioned:

Vengeance of an Assassin (Thai movie)

Ghost Ship (movie was terrible, but the opening scene was great)

Mad Max: Fury Road

Children of Men

Lastly, I have to give a nod to The Usual Suspects. The opening scene was intriguing, but doesn't become remarkable until you know the backstory. Bryan Singer was so utterly committed to keeping the answer to "Who is Keyser Soze?" a mystery that he had each of the 5 main actors play Soze in the opening scene, and spliced each voice together for Soze's part just to keep the audience guessing. It's an absolutely genius move. As a corollary: he also had each of the 5 actors (plus himself and a few other crew members) play Soze in the flashback scene.