Chiefs Extend Andy Reid and Part Ways with GM Dorsey

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No actually, I personally don't think Reid had nearly as much of a want of Mahomes as most people think.

KC is already competing for division titles and AFC Championships. You think Reid would rather trade 2 high draft picks in a very deep and talented draft, considered the deepest in a decade, and also another first rounder next year...3 potentially good players to add to a contending team...for a QB who likely wont really help the team for 2 to 3 years?

Not to mention, that QB needs to have his footwork and mechanics rebuilt for him to really have a shot of being a long term starter in this league. Reality is that even if Mahomes pans out, its going to take 3 to 4 years from now to know because he wont play this year and may or may not play next year. And once he does play, its going to likely take 2 to 3 years on the field for his play to grow to lead that team to a SB. Reid may not even be the HC by then.

So yes, I find it hard to believe that if Reid alone was making the decision that he would take project QB over 3 high draft picks who could have maybe got him over the top and into the SB, something he has never won.

PS: Not saying Mahomes is going to bust or not...you asked about what I think about Reid's preference and I find it hard to believe Reid prefers Mahomes over 2 first round picks and a 3rd (from a very good draft) while his team is a title contender and had some holes to fill.

You know I agree with you a lot but I completely disagree. Reid runs that offense. He constructed an offense around Alex Smith. He hides smith and has finally realized Smith just isn't good enough. If anything, I think Reid was the one who wanted Mahomes and the GM wouldn't.

You know I agree with you a lot but I completely disagree. Reid runs that offense. He constructed an offense around Alex Smith. He hides smith and has finally realized Smith just isn't good enough. If anything, I think Reid was the one who wanted Mahomes and the GM wouldn't.

If it wasn't an agreed upon move I find it incredibly hard to picture a GM making a blockbuster trade for a QB against Reid's wishes. I find it much more likely that Reid would carry the juice to get the GM to make the move despite reservations. Still most likely though was they just agreed.

Hahahahaha Jeffismagic swore he was a genius...probably got fired for ruining the cap and dumb trade lol

This doesn't mean he isn't a genius.

Folks here keep pretending we can be sure that KC made a bad trade and we won't know that for 2 - 4 years till we know what Mahomes is.

I hate their cap situation but who's responsible for that, Reid or Dorsey?

I think that it's possible that the Chiefs win about 6 or 7 games. They have made some baffling decisions this offseason. The margin for error in the NFL is small and if they ball doesn't continue to bounce their way we may reap the rewards.

That would be sweet for us if they win 6 or 7, giving us even better trade bait if we need to move up.

I doubt it, though. If I had to guess right now I'd bet on about ten wins again.

Oh, where is JEFFISMAGIC?!

Probably floating in a punch bowl somewhere...

Hes currently in time out, for his latest crusade. I just know that somewhere, hes yelling at a wall about QBR.

Seriously? It's about time...long overdue. His incessant one trick pony diatribes were making it impossible to get thru many a thread.

If it wasn't an agreed upon move I find it incredibly hard to picture a GM making a blockbuster trade for a QB against Reid's wishes. I find it much more likely that Reid would carry the juice to get the GM to make the move despite reservations. Still most likely though was they just agreed.

Yep. Andy Reid gets what Andy Reid wants. To believe otherwise is to ignore his history. Mahomes was a Reid pick, I don't have a single doubt about it.

JMO, but I don't think KC is 'all that'. I think the Raiders have surpassed them in talent and Smith has been exposed as average. There just isn't enough sustainable talent on that roster and I think this unit has run its course. I expect they'll have a poorer season than the 'experts' predict -which is a great thing for us!

JMO, but I don't think KC is 'all that'. I think the Raiders have surpassed them in talent and Smith has been exposed as average. There just isn't enough sustainable talent on that roster and I think this unit has run its course. I expect they'll have a poorer season than the 'experts' predict -which is a great thing for us!

JMO, Smith was always "just above average" but he managed to get wins.

i think it would be perfect for him. He can be a talent evaluator but not make the final decisions (Reid would obviously do that) so it would play to his strengths

True and Andy is comfortable in front of the mic so Doug wouldn't have to do that.

This has probably already been covered, but DW ending up in KC would be a huge delight, and I say this as somebody who actually thought that DW was a serviceable GM.

KC and the Bills took more or less the same course in the offseason: rely on people to stock the roster, and then fire them. Yes indeed, while I did not see the firing happening in KC, it's like watching the Bills, but only on the other side of a mirror. Brilliant.

I think DW is done as GM, I think the consensus around the league is the he is a good scout but over his head as a GM. Classic example of the Peter Principle.

I think DW is done as GM, I think the consensus around the league is the he is a good scout but over his head as a GM. Classic example of the Peter Principle.

His ONLY shot of getting a GM job again (if he even wants to stay in scouting, he could go back to Wall Street and earn a fortune) is to take a VP for Pro-Personnel type job or an Assistant GM job in a place with an established veteran GM and make himself the go to "in house" candidate when that GM retires. Or go into a team, and KC may become that team, where they are not going to have a traditional GM but where the HC will be an omnipotent all powerful decision maker and Whaley could just scout.

Let the downward spiral begin.

@AdamSchefter

Chiefs had quietest, tumultuous off-season of any team: cut Charles and Maclin, traded up for QB, fired high-ups a month ago, now fired GM.

Dumpster fire of a franchise worthy of a fan like JeffisbutthurttheBillsdidn'tdraftMahomes :lol::thumbsup:

His ONLY shot of getting a GM job again (if he even wants to stay in scouting, he could go back to Wall Street and earn a fortune) is to take a VP for Pro-Personnel type job or an Assistant GM job in a place with an established veteran GM and make himself the go to "in house" candidate when that GM retires. Or go into a team, and KC may become that team, where they are not going to have a traditional GM but where the HC will be an omnipotent all powerful decision maker and Whaley could just scout.

In all fairness DW decided to learn the ropes from Buddy Nix, who had never been a GM before rejoining the Bills. If he wants another shot at GM, I agree with ya. I do believe that handing the reins to McDermott was symptomatic of DW's shortcomings as a leader so hopefully DW finds his best path. I did like the guy and believe he can be successful as a GM.

Guest NeckBeard

If you need DW to be a talent evaluator, and a guy who signs off on a board, then yes, I think you might be right. If you have a coach/GM tandem, like what they have in NE, and seems like what they have now in Buffalo (and will have in KC probably), then I could see DW getting a gig as GM, if the GM's sole responsibility is to evaluate talent and make recommendations to the HC. Somebody else here also said something similar, and I was just underscoring that point, because I agree.