Chiefs Extend Andy Reid and Part Ways with GM Dorsey

I think this probably tells us Reid was behind the trade. The truth in Philly seemed to be the more powerful Andy got the less successful the team was. Chaos ensuing and a 2-14 season would be nice. I don't see it though.

Or Dorsey was behind it and Andy doesn't like what he sees from mini camps :devil:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what Chiefs' coaching staff sees in Mahomes now that he's been in the camp with them and that had anything to do with this Dorsey move to trade for him.

at the time I thought he gave up a lot for a QB who's quite RAW. He could be one of those "he's 2 years away from being ready in 2 years"

Reid hates Mahomes, Jmagic sends condolences.

Or Dorsey was behind it and Andy doesn't like what he sees from mini camps :devil:

Hmm. Possible. Knowing Reid though I suspect mine is more likely. Underminging GMs on power grabs is part of his MO. He never wanted a GM in KC but they insisted after the mess of the final few years of his omnipotence in Philly. They got him a guy he picked to work with... I suspect Andy Reid pushed for Mahomes maybe even against Dorsey's advice and this was an inevitable conclusion.

Jeffismagic on the Chiefs board~ "Dorsey was let go because he and Andy Reid were at each other over the trade up for Mahomes. Reid wanted him and Dorsey did not. Reid wins out of course. He knows Mahomes is a future Pro Bowl caliber player. He will replace Alex Smith by year's end."

Hmm. Possible. Knowing Reid though I suspect mine is more likely. Underminging GMs on power grabs is part of his MO. He never wanted a GM in KC but they insisted after the mess of the final few years of his omnipotence in Philly. They got him a guy he picked to work with... I suspect Andy Reid pushed for Mahomes maybe even against Dorsey's advice and this was an inevitable conclusion.

I don't doubt that, but I love the idea that we fleeced them for a bust of a pick.

Mike Ballard left to become GM of the Colts.

Chris Ballard.

I think that it's possible that the Chiefs win about 6 or 7 games. They have made some baffling decisions this offseason. The margin for error in the NFL is small and if they ball doesn't continue to bounce their way we may reap the rewards.

Could see that. Not sure I see any worse than that tho.

Jeffismagic on the Chiefs board~ "Dorsey was let go because he and Andy Reid were at each other over the trade up for Mahomes. Reid wanted him and Dorsey did not. Reid wins out of course. He knows Mahomes is a future Pro Bowl caliber player. He will replace Alex Smith by year's end."

Please tell me this is a joke....please.

This can't be real?

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports one of the issues the Chiefs had with fired GM John Dorsey was his inability to get extensions with Justin Houston and Eric Berry done faster.

Per Pelissero, the Chiefs believed the slowness "cost them more later." It makes sense on the surface, but that's hardly a rarity with blue-chip players. The delay in Berry's case seemed more questionable than the delay in Houston's. The national media is reporting widespread shock at Dorsey's abrupt departure. The Chiefs are clearly comfortable with Andy Reid being the brains of the operation.

You don't think Reid didn't have a major say in drafting Mahomes?

And if he turns into a franchise qb, it was a great trade. If not, it was a bad trade. I think he is in a perfect situation for a young qb. Time will tell.

IMO he had THE say. Trade isn't made without him wanting it.

You don't think Reid didn't have a major say in drafting Mahomes?

And if he turns into a franchise qb, it was a great trade. If not, it was a bad trade. I think he is in a perfect situation for a young qb. Time will tell.

No actually, I personally don't think Reid had nearly as much of a want of Mahomes as most people think.

KC is already competing for division titles and AFC Championships. You think Reid would rather trade 2 high draft picks in a very deep and talented draft, considered the deepest in a decade, and also another first rounder next year...3 potentially good players to add to a contending team...for a QB who likely wont really help the team for 2 to 3 years?

Not to mention, that QB needs to have his footwork and mechanics rebuilt for him to really have a shot of being a long term starter in this league. Reality is that even if Mahomes pans out, its going to take 3 to 4 years from now to know because he wont play this year and may or may not play next year. And once he does play, its going to likely take 2 to 3 years on the field for his play to grow to lead that team to a SB. Reid may not even be the HC by then.

So yes, I find it hard to believe that if Reid alone was making the decision that he would take project QB over 3 high draft picks who could have maybe got him over the top and into the SB, something he has never won.

PS: Not saying Mahomes is going to bust or not...you asked about what I think about Reid's preference and I find it hard to believe Reid prefers Mahomes over 2 first round picks and a 3rd (from a very good draft) while his team is a title contender and had some holes to fill.

Edited by Alphadawg7