Nate Peterman - weak arm? I don't think so!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Peterman ended up becoming our Frank Reich then a pick well spent

....sure thing John.....been a long time.....kid is probably doomed with Gruden saying he's "the BEST NFL ready QB I've seen in years"......of course Chuckie graded every one of the 67 QB draft eligibles with A+......and Brylcream Mel chimed in with "Peterman is the most likely to be the next Brady of the 2017 class".......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Lots of good argument/posts suggesting Peterman was drafted as a good value pick in the 5th round and I get that, but I also think theres a little roll of the dice looking for the next Tom Brady in the pick. Lots of good players still available with to many holes to fill which leads me to believe the Bills HC McD has high hopes for the young signal caller. Especially when you take into consideration you are running a fearless smaller framed QB into the teeth of the oppositions D.

Peterman in all likelihood will see the football field at some point during the season in my humble opinion.

Lots of good argument/posts suggesting Peterman was drafted as a good value pick in the 5th round and I get that, but I also think theres a little roll of the dice looking for the next Tom Brady in the pick. Lots of good players still available with to many holes to fill which leads me to believe the Bills HC McD has high hopes for the young signal caller. Especially when you take into consideration you are running a fearless smaller framed QB into the teeth of the oppositions D.

Peterman in all likelihood will see the football field at some point during the season in my humble opinion.

you have to appreciate a humble person. I find your post and those that may think along the same lines pretty much out there, a real reach in the thoughts of the future of this new kid on the block?

seeing the field this season? sure, if they're blowing out their opponent it could happen? the next tom brady? wow, now there is a reach in thought. but hey, you're a humble fan so I wont knock your thoughts anymore than I may have.

if he turns out to be a decent back up, a 5th round pick well used then. if not, no great loss.

just my opinion, remain humble.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

you have to appreciate a humble person. I find your post and those that may think along the same lines pretty much out there, a real reach in the thoughts of the future of this new kid on the block?

seeing the field this season? sure, if they're blowing out their opponent it could happen? the next tom brady? wow, now there is a reach in thought. but hey, you're a humble fan so I wont knock your thoughts anymore than I may have.

if he turns out to be a decent back up, a 5th round pick well used then. if not, no great loss.

just my opinion, remain humble.

Diamond in the rough...

( I try )

Edited by Figster

Diamond in the rough...

( I try )

Without peeing in anyone's Cheerios I am just suggesting we are careful how to define "diamond in the rough." Attached are the guys drafted to play QB and if you focus on the 5h round and later you aren't going to see a lot of "solid starters." You won't recognize most of the names (who the hell is Andy Hall). http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position Ironically, Tyrod Taylor is absolutely one of the best of the last 15+ years. Anyways, its fun to go back and look.

Without peeing in anyone's Cheerios I am just suggesting we are careful how to define "diamond in the rough." Attached are the guys drafted to play QB and if you focus on the 5h round and later you aren't going to see a lot of "solid starters." You won't recognize most of the names (who the hell is Andy Hall). http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position Ironically, Tyrod Taylor is absolutely one of the best of the last 15+ years. Anyways, its fun to go back and look.

Thanks for the post/link

When looking through them did you happen to notice how many higher round draft choices failed to succeed in the NFL and ever wonder how players like Kurt Warner slip under the radar.

I don't know what the overall percentage for a QB drafted in the 1st round is to become a succesful starter in NFL over the last 15 years , but it would not surprise me If that percentage is very low.

Thanks for the post/link

When looking through them did you happen to notice how many higher round draft choices failed to succeed in the NFL and ever wonder how players like Kurt Warner slip under the radar.

I don't know what the overall percentage for a QB drafted in the 1st round is to become a succesful starter in NFL over the last 15 years , but it would not surprise me If that percentage is very low.

It is pretty low. If you pull out guys picked in the top 3 it is like 50% (depending on where you draw the line). I did it a few months back. Without sounding cliche it's hard to find a good QB.

...".diamond in the rough versus franchise QB"......both are as clear as mud............care to clear up "THE MUD"?................

...".diamond in the rough versus franchise QB"......both are as clear as mud............care to clear up "THE MUD"?................

For me I'd classify "diamond in the rough" as a guy that far outplayed his draft spot. Fitz would be a good example. He was a late 7th rounder that's carved out a successful NFL career.

For me, a franchise guy is when you stop looking. Guys that you "win because of," not "can win with." It's tricky though because some of those guys (like Eli) you lose because of often. There are lots of different interpretations but that's kind of how I look at it.

Why do you think that he was a fifth round draft pick instead of a second to third round type prospect?

I don't know, I'm not an NFL scout. But if I had to take a guess, it's because the judgement they had was that he was a not-so-high-ceiling QB due to arm strength. And if he turns out the way I and I'm sure many of you hope that he turns out, we'll be lucky that they misjudged him.

There are a lot of comments about Peterman having a noodle arm - accurate, yes, but weak. The consensus is that with less than stellar arm strength he can only progress so far; like back up QB or maybe a borderline starter, with the club necessarily always on the lookout for a better guy who can really get the ball out the way it should be - with plenty of zip.

I have watched a ton of Peterman highlights and have always wondered what those naysayers were talking about. In the highlights that I've watched I have seen a lot of 35-45 yarders with what seemed to me to have a good deal of power behind them, and one that was exactly 50 yards, right on the money. I was trying to find that one so I could post it here for all the doubters, but instead found this one. Go to Nate Peterman 2015 Highlights - YouTube and you'll see at the 12:05 mark, a 53 yard toss, from the opponent 45 to his 2, right on the money for a TD, with a 1 step-up delivery.

Have a look and then tell me that he'll be limited by his weak arm. You might check out the entire tape to see a lot of excellent throws.

If you look at all his throws you will see his arm is not great. If it was he would have gone in the first.

Never trust a QB from USC.

Do you think it's those cheerleaders that ruin them?

Back in my banking days we had a saying: Just because you had to repo a blue Buick doesn't mean you can't lend on blue cars or Buicks. Each deal is it's own deal.

Here's two cents fwiw....

If the biggest criticism of Peterman is that his arm creates a ceiling of achievement and he will be, at best, a solid back-up, given where we picked him that would still be solid stability moving forward through a new FO and Coaching Staff while implementing a new system. Honestly, that's a worst-case scenario barring any health issues.

The other penny is more of a positive perspective. I agree with the sentiment that arm strength and power is overrated. Especially when they have strong decision making ability, composure, and football IQ. Two successful QB's with poor arm strength off the top of my head are Philip Rivers, and P. Manning in the latter half of his career. Now will Peterman even come close to their intangibles? We'll see, like I said, upside.

Either way, instead of speculating now, let's give the kid time to develop and let's hope we have the staff and support in place to get him there.

This topic has been beat to death. Didn't need a new thread.

It's not about how far he can throw, it's about velocity. He has a weakish arm, but as others have said, it should be fine if he's smart enough.

It'll be a couple years before he's ready to start, if ever.

there's more than a strong correlation between velocity and distance, they're exactly the same thing. Both based on the amount of energy transferred to the ball at the time of release.

Speed of release and having a fast throwing motion means so much in the nfl, Peterman is adequate in that regard and seems like he's confident and smart enough to have a shot as a starter, but the odds of 5th round qb's going anywhere are miniscule for sure.

He will beat out Cardale for the 3rd spot. Which means my Cardale For Tight End campaign will be in full swing for training camp.