Worst cut in Bills history

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of confusion between "traded" (i.e. Jason Peters), "walk in FA" (I.e. Gilmore) and "cut" (I.e. Bruce Smith).

He was originally a practice squad player with the Bills, right? I'm sure that's not what people are going for when the mention him, but he was in fact cut by the Bills.

There is a lot of confusion between "traded" (i.e. Jason Peters), "walk in FA" (I.e. Gilmore) and "cut" (I.e. Bruce Smith).

by page 6 this is inertia

are you the real Kirby Jackson? got a story from a game told by friends who had an amusing run-in with him....

I know they were older and all but this was one of the worst Bills offseasons ever in Y2K for me to stomach.

Thurman

Bruce

Reed

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bills-cut-smith-thomas-reed/

My current list though:

Ted Washington

Pat Williams

Peters

Fletcher

Cookie

On the fence depending on his future impact:

Gilmore

Edited by Real McCoy

Fish game of importance during the Kelly Era.

KJ is on the bench most of the first half. Two friends into their beers and wearing Marino jerseys and sitting near the BIlls bench start tearing into him.

"hey number 47..." you can fill in the rest...

In the 4th he returns the only pick six of his career to seal the game.

He walks right up to my friends and stares at them and says "I !@#$ed your mother." Stares another ten seconds and then goes back to sit on the bench game ball in hand.

Nice story, hope it's true....

Wade Phillips.

His firing laid the foundation for the last 17 years, starting with Donahoe, Greggo, the release of the Big Three, Ted Washington and Pat Williams.

If Wade had stayed after the MCM, it would have been an entirely different decade of Bills football.

Trade: Marshawn Lynch. Got run out of town and proceeded to become one of the best players in the league. In the meantime we wasted a 1st rd pick on CJ Spiller.

Bills were an underrated developmental league squad for RBs that helped out in playoff runs at their next gig.

JP Loseman, Arron Maybin, Ej Manual, Mike Williams, Erik Flowers, John McCargo... Just kidding

Not a player but, Coach Wade Philips.... He was a good coach... if he had stayed in place he would be Belicheck today... his own system for the last 17 years......

Oh by the way for fun... google Buffalo Bills 1st round picks... then just cry when you compare the 1980 and 1990 verses the last 15 years!!!!

Edited by Iraq Vet

Fish game of importance during the Kelly Era.

KJ is on the bench most of the first half. Two friends into their beers and wearing Marino jerseys and sitting near the BIlls bench start tearing into him.

"hey number 47..." you can fill in the rest...

In the 4th he returns the only pick six of his career to seal the game.

He walks right up to my friends and stares at them and says "I !@#$ed your mother." Stares another ten seconds and then goes back to sit on the bench game ball in hand.

Nice story, hope it's true....

I like this story :thumbsup:

Smerlas retired, I thought it was a farewell by him, sadly just before he and Art Still could cash in on the good years.

No, Smerlas was cut. He held a huge grudge against Marv Levy afterwards. The Bills thought Jeff Wright could pick up the slack. Wright wasn't terrible, but he wasn't Smerlas...was a little too light. Smerals played two or three more seasons with the 49ers.

Edited by Buftex

Not sure if these fit the criteria, but the release of Freddy Jackson and Kurt Schultz both ticked me off, especially since I liked their style of play and because I had literally bought their jerseys weeks within being released. Neither went on to do great things on the field, but I thought their presence on the field in Buffalo was felt.

HOLY CRAP!

I cannot believe how many people have said London Fletcher.

Where was all the love for this guy from TBD when he actually played for the Bills?!

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 on this board.

Hindsight or not the question was who was the worst cut in Bills history. You can make a better judgement after seeing how well a player went on to succeed after he left Buffalo. I was always a Fletcher fan but I was amazed at how many years he played at such a high level. I guess you want people to say names like Gilmore instead of actually evaluating their years after they left Buffalo. HOLY CRAP! lol

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

No, Smerlas was cut. He held a huge grudge against Marv Levy afterwards. The Bills thought Jeff Wright could pick up the slack. Wright wasn't terrible, but he wasn't Smerlas...was a little too light. Smerals played two or three more seasons with the 49ers.

Smerlas actually left as a Plan B FA... IMO cutting him for all intents and purposes, they no longer wanted him. He was only with SF for 1 year, then played 2 more with the lowly Pats.

Smerlas actually left as a Plan B FA... IMO cutting him for all intents and purposes, they no longer wanted him. He was only with SF for 1 year, then played 2 more with the lowly Pats.

I recall his last game with the Bills as fully declared it was his last game all through the game...