At what point did the 90's nostalgia wear off for you?

As I'm sure a lot of you that post on here did, I grew up and fell in love with the Buffalo Bills during the 90's Super Bowl runs. It was an incredible time and really all I knew of Buffalo Bills football(what a sick and twisted joke the next two decades would turn out to be). Even as that era faded away I think it still resonated within a lot of us for a long time afterwards. I know that's true just from the sheer amount of posts on here over the years talking about how we should bring back the K-Gun offense and so and so is the next insert(Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, etc.) :D

I remember watching old NFL Films highlights of the 90 and 91 teams to get pumped up about the Bills during the offseasons and even nights before home openers but at some point I just lost the magical feeling. I mean deep down I still love those teams but I just can't reminisce anymore, I tapped that well dry. The Bills organization have been cramming those warm and fuzzy feelings from back then down our throats over the years to distract us from the piece of s*** product they have been putting on the field for the last 17 years. Even by the time the 30 for 30 came out I was kind of over looking back on those years. I think a lot of it has to do with how long we've been bad for and how much the game has changed, it just feels like ancient times now.

Does anybody else share these feelings? if so, can you pinpoint when you began to feel this way?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm sure a lot of you that post on here did, I grew up and fell in love with the Buffalo Bills during the 90's Super Bowl runs. It was an incredible time and really all I knew of Buffalo Bills football(what a sick and twisted joke the next two decades would turn out to be). Even as that era faded away I think it still resonated within a lot of us for a long time afterwards. I know that's true just from the sheer amount of posts on here over the years talking about how we should bring back the K-Gun offense and so and so is the next insert(Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, etc.) :D

I remember watching old NFL Films highlights of the 90 and 91 teams to get pumped up about the Bills during the offseasons and even nights before home openers but at some point I just lost the magical feeling. I mean deep down I still love those teams but I just can't reminisce anymore, I tapped that well dry. The Bills organization have been cramming those warm and fuzzy feelings from back then down our throats over the years to distract us from the piece of s*** product they have been putting on the field for the last 17 years. Even by the time the 30 for 30 came out I was kind of over looking back on those years. I think a lot of it has to do with how long we've been bad for and how much the game has changed, it just feels like ancient times now.

Does anybody else share these feelings? if so, can you pinpoint when you began to feel this way?

....excellent assessment.....wheels fell off post Polian......nothing but a patchwork organization thereafter with people in positions NOT qualified for, football people past their primes trying to remain relevant, as well as retreads in key coaching positions....Management 101 dictates that an "organization takes on the characteristics of its leader(s)".....and if there is rudderless leadership, subordinates sense it and don't give a damn.....hence the losing culture became accepted for a paycheck.....just my opinion......yet the rabid Buffalo fan base still supported this club.....the new regime from FO/Admin/Coaching is comprised of al young gun 40 somethings that appear (on paper so far) to be hell bent on building a long term winning organization....have not felt this good since Polian....stay tuned....

....excellent assessment.....wheels fell off post Polian......nothing but a patchwork organization thereafter with people in positions NOT qualified for, football people past their primes trying to remain relevant, as well as retreads in key coaching positions....Management 101 dictates that an "organization takes on the characteristics of its leader(s)".....and if there is rudderless leadership, subordinates sense it and don't give a damn.....hence the losing culture became accepted for a paycheck.....just my opinion......yet the rabid Buffalo fan base still supported this club.....the new regime from FO/Admin/Coaching is comprised of al young gun 40 somethings that appear (on paper so far) to be hell bent on building a long term winning organization....have not felt this good since Polian....stay tuned....

I agree AFL...for the first time in a long time I'm allowing myself to trust the process again, and see where it takes me.

Edited by JaCrispy

I agree AFL...for the first time in a long time I'm allowing myself to trust the process again, and see where it takes me.

....I'm in have no choice.....year 55 means my days are numbered......and where I'm ending up in "Dante's Inferno", LCD's and NFL Game Day Ticket don't work.... :thumbsup: ...print media ain't flame resistant either........

I started in the '60's, not the early '90's, so it's been a long ride. The '90's nostalgia was just one phase. I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing, but the '90's, or even just last season, are history. I'm moving forward more than looking backward (maybe because of the pain?). It's all part of my Bills fan history and I take the good with the bad.

Once the playoff drought hit double digits. And the nostalgia itself never wore off, it's just that I stopped feeling like I didn't have the right to complain about not making the playoffs. During the 90s, I knew that our luck would run out and that we'd have to endure a period of a few rough years. Once that "few years" hit a decade, it just got to be too much. Now it's just ridiculous.

It wore off for me after Tennessee. I stopped watching NFL altogether from 01 to 09. Returned to it because my girlfriend from Colorado got into tbe Tebow thing. In fact, I was wearing my Bills gear (which she bought me) when the Bills beat Tebow late in the season. I was with about 25 Bronco fans. One by one they left the room until I was the only one left. It was a fun season to get me back into football. Went to 3 Broncos games that season. Now I reflect on those 90s teams and wish we could get back to those days. I was a young teen those years and enjoyed watching Bills highlights every week on Sports Extra and Prime Time.

I became a Bills fan as I entered high school in 2003, after taking a liking to football in general in 2002. For one of my birthdays I received the NFL Films Superbowl Collection and was simply enamored watching the Bills in the 90-93 years.

The nostalgia started there and morphed into my current love of the Bills, so it's hard to say when it ended.

The start was Jerkron.

I liked Mularkey and he had teams that actually played for him ( though I felt he was a work in progress). I couldn't believe he quit a head coaching job. For me, that was a huge red flag.

Then that whole Marv/ GM bringing Jerkron fiasco happened. I wanted the ex GB coach( can't remember his name) and they brought in a Dick!! I cancelled the NFL ticket and didn't watch those years,

I've been on and off since then but don't have that feeling anymore.

I like to think they might be on the right track now but having been burned/ fooled( like the gullible dumbass they repeatedly cause me to be) I won't Billieve until they turn a corner which they don't appear ready to do this year.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

:angry: NEVER, mothe#*&^er!

And let this be the last time you ask! -You can watch old footage, and clips to get pumped, but unless you were THERE watching some of those games LIVE, -you'll never really get what this time period was like....

And another thing.... Even a Debbie downer like me KNOWS we are GOING BACK, baby! -REAL SOON!

-So hang onto to that #78 throwback, cuz you are gonna need it my friend! -LET'S GO BUFFALO!!! -Since 1983, and until I leave this earth!

Growing up in Buffalo, I lived through the OJ years, the bleak late 70's, the Chuck Knox resurgence (loved finally squishing the Fish!), our blackhole '83-'85, the HOPE when Jim Kelly came to town, the '88 almost got there team, bickering Bills '89, THE GLORY YEARS, '99 Flutie Curse, and suffering ever since.

Moving to Houston in 2000, one thing that is awesome is when people find out I'm a Bills fan, immediately they mention THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN NFL HISTORY and how they still hate the Bills for what they did!! I just laugh.....

So, I'm good with remembering and talking about those years. Greatest time in Buffalo sports history.