LB Gerald Hodges visiting-Edit: SIGNED!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hodges is intriguing to me because of his versatility. HE played Inside LInebacker in the 49ers defense last year. I don't think it's automatic that he'll be playing outside at the WILL Spot. I think he could also be competition in the middle. I can see a starting unit of Ragland (SAM), Hodges (Mike), Humber (WILL). McD seems to like Humber alot.

Honestly, this is a signing where I have no idea how people are finding much of anything to gripe about.

We had a big hole at WLB, and while I know PFF isn't perfect it's a decent indicator,

As to why he was still available, it looks like he had a slow start, and then was backing up a very good Novarro Bowman. It probably scared some people off.

Hodges is intriguing to me because of his versatility. HE played Inside LInebacker in the 49ers defense last year. I don't think it's automatic that he'll be playing outside at the WILL Spot. I think he could also be competition in the middle. I can see a starting unit of Ragland (SAM), Hodges (Mike), Humber (WILL). McD seems to like Humber alot.

I honestly don't see Ragland as a SAM. I know that it's a difference that breaks down with how commonly we go to subpackages like Nickel and Dime, But Ragland has some cover skills, but is best as a midfielder. I don't see him as an edge sealer.

Great pickup. Coverage LB that can also hold his own at the LB position. Big win.

Now get TE Barnage. !!!

I'm not too worried. Yes it's a young secondary but Hyde will be running the show back there and have our young corners where they're supposed to be.

I agree. I'm only worried about depth back there, starters look solid.

So in nickel, Ragland comes off the field? Or does Lorax move to DE to rush the passer? It's where he was very good at last year.

I'm sure Lorax will play some DE . I'd imagine in the nickel it will be him aND Hodges mostly, but I still have a feeling Ragland is a stud and by week 5,6 , he's going to be on that field.

His instincts make up for any lack of speed. I see a clear cut 3 down LB. This is a good problem to have. We got some pieces we can make interchangeable

I'm sure Lorax will play some DE . I'd imagine in the nickel it will be him aND Hodges mostly, but I still have a feeling Ragland is a stud and by week 5,6 , he's going to be on that field.

His instincts make up for any lack of speed. I see a clear cut 3 down LB. This is a good problem to have. We got some pieces we can make interchangeable

I agree with you about Ragland. He's just a football player. You don't need a stop watch to evaluate him, look at him on film. He's making plays all the time.

Since Lorax is 34 and I believe McDermott likes to have a rotation on the defensive line like Schwartz....I can actually see Ragland staying on the field.

I can see the DE rotation being Hughes, Davis, Lorax and Lawson....just go.

Lawson can move inside on some passing downs to rotate with Williams, Dareus and Washington. Constantly rotating fresh bodies.

No more dropping in coverage responsibilities or taking on blocks to clear linebackers....just go. It's going to be a fun defense to watch again.

Honestly, this is a signing where I have no idea how people are finding much of anything to gripe about.

We had a big hole at WLB, and while I know PFF isn't perfect it's a decent indicator,

As to why he was still available, it looks like he had a slow start, and then was backing up a very good Novarro Bowman. It probably scared some people off.

I honestly don't see Ragland as a SAM. I know that it's a difference that breaks down with how commonly we go to subpackages like Nickel and Dime, But Ragland has some cover skills, but is best as a midfielder. I don't see him as an edge sealer.

I don't think Ragland playing at the SAM spot means he automatically comes off the field in nickel situations. I mean Derrick Brooks for instance played SAM for the Bucs and played every down. I'm not saying Ragland will play the SAM spot, I'm saying I could see the possibility.

I've been told Ragland looked very slow at minicamp which probably prompted the urgency of this signing even more so.

I mean, the guy is still recovering from the ACL surgery. Tail end of it maybe, but I wouldn't worry about his speed at this point.

I mean, the guy is still recovering from the ACL surgery. Tail end of it maybe, but I wouldn't worry about his speed at this point.

Slow in college too. Only Rex wanted him because Rex is from 1985.

Gret college LB, not likely to be anything at all in the NFL.

I've been told Ragland looked very slow at minicamp which probably prompted the urgency of this signing even more so.

He didn't practice.

Slow in college too. Only Rex wanted him because Rex is from 1985.

Gret college LB, not likely to be anything at all in the NFL.

Your opinions are just so bad.

That doesn't mean he still didn't look slow.

He wasn't slow last year. It's just BS. Ragland may be overweight this year who knows, camp hasn't started. Last year he was flying around. He played at 265lbs at Alabama, was 247 at the combine. He was faster than Kiko's timed speed.

Ragland is a good athlete. Frazier did say in the individual drill Ragland was able to participate in he showed off his athleticism.

Not a bad signing overall.

Much more worried about our JV secondary. If we don't get constant QB pressure as well though this current secondary will get absolutely torched all day.

Disagree completely. Hyde is solid and we have 3 good corners. Zone stuff will have some growing pains but we will do fine in coverage.