DOJ Appoints Robert Mueller as Special Counsel - Jerome Corsi Rejects Plea Deal

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Not how clearances work.  Once granted, they're good until expired, and pulled only with reason (and there's probably some onerous bureaucratic process for that - I don't know, I've known people who had clearances pulled, but never asked them how it was processed.)

Wow, that makes no sense to me but hey it's the Federal Government. 

I can see the headline now if Trump follows through with removing clearances.....

"Trump pulls Obama era security clearances, what's he hiding?"

Edited by keepthefaith

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1021478284893331458

Now getting your clearances revoked (for criminal violations) is a first amendment violation. :lol: 

The enemies in the press make themselves easy to identify. Take note. 

They do. 

This is not entirely correct. Tom can speak more to this. They retain clearances in programs and SAPs of which they were a part of and read in on while In office. They can access a ton of lower level information, and do so they can continue work in various "government contract" work as advisors, or the media as spokesman.

But they are also granted clearances to all five eye Intel which is the problem. Because they can see current Intel and surveillance without warrant or needing additional clearances. 

1. They're employed by NBC (the majority) - which thinks of itself as a federal ministry of truth. Does that count? 

2. It's how the swamp works. It allows them to take other government contract work, pulling their clearances would limit their usefulness think tanks and the media. 

And, it would seem that pulling their clearances would also substantially impact their ability for vast personal enrichment.  Since the desire for wealth and power seems to cross party lines, they all benefit from it and the swamp wins again. You put people in charge of negotiating benefits with little oversight, managed by people who benefit from the program they are overseeing, and you get this sort of result. 

If legal to do so, yank their clearances and send them on their way.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Wow, that makes no sense to me but hey it's the Federal Government. 

I can see the headline now if Trump follows through with removing clearances.....

"Trump pulls Obama era security clearances, what's he hiding?"

It's...a weird system.  And not entirely consistent across the federal government.  Shockingly inconsistent, actually...one central authority is responsible for background investigations, but adjudicating the clearance is in the hands of each government department or agency.  So two agencies can get the same information from the same investigation, and come to completely different conclusions with regards to the clearance.  And grant completely different clearances - Secret/Top Secret/TSSCI were DoD designations, not common across the government (State used to have different clearance designations, DOE and the NRC still do, as does the White House.  DHS has a menagerie of different clearances.) 

It's about what you'd expect from a system defined purely by about a dozen different, uncooperative bureaucracies.  Bush actually tried to untangle it, back in 2005 as a result of the 9/11 hearings.  It got killed for various reasons, not the least of which was that no one wanted to work with anyone else (though the most visible reasons were the OPM hack and Snowden.)

• Like (+1) 1

What are the Guidelines for Revoking a Security Clearance?

If nothing has changed the last four years, that is a pretty good rundown.

And this is interesting too! Senate Intel Committee Unanimously Passes Security Clearance Reform   (dated 6.28.18, so 6.27.18)

The whole category is pretty interesting: Security Clearance

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And this is interesting too! Senate Intel Committee Unanimously Passes Security Clearance Reform   (dated 6.28.18, so 6.27.18)

Yep...they're trying to go back to the system in use in the 1990s, and think technology is going to solve all the problems that system had.  

Some of their goals are laudable (review should be constant and not periodic, for example) but in typical Congressional fashion, they know jack **** about achieving them.  I find it funny that DoD's going to be responsible for all the investigations going forward...OPM couldn't get out of their own way doing investigations, but ultimately it's the same damn contractors doing the work either way, and any attempt at reform is going to be a billion dollar cluster!@#$.

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yep...they're trying to go back to the system in use in the 1990s, and think technology is going to solve all the problems that system had.  

Some of their goals are laudable (review should be constant and not periodic, for example) but in typical Congressional fashion, they know jack **** about achieving them.  I find it funny that DoD's going to be responsible for all the investigations going forward...OPM couldn't get out of their own way doing investigations, but ultimately it's the same damn contractors doing the work either way, and any attempt at reform is going to be a billion dollar cluster!@#$.

Good thing Trumps connection to treason won't take much brain power to figure out

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Good thing Trumps connection to treason won't take much brain power to figure out

You couldn't even get clearance to wipe your own a**.

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Again take politics out of it.  You have to have a suitable transition between administrations and you have to maintain clearance to do so.

Any president can take it away but should do so only for really good reason otherwise intelligence efforts could suffer.

take your partisan blinded off.

The only reason they would need clearances maintained is if they're ADVISING the President or his Cabinet.

These azzholes have led a coup attempt at Trump and continue to try to !@#$ him over at every chance. 

They are dirt. Take your blinders off.

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Again take politics out of it.  You have to have a suitable transition between administrations and you have to maintain clearance to do so.

Any president can take it away but should do so only for really good reason otherwise intelligence efforts could suffer.

take your partisan blinded off.

Take your partisan blinders off.  The transition is already complete.

There may be good reasons for them to keep their clearances - hell, there probably are.  But continuity 18 months in isn't one of them, idiot.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Take your partisan blinders off.  The transition is already complete.

There may be good reasons for them to keep their clearances - hell, there probably are.  But continuity 18 months in isn't one of them, idiot.

Does it give you some kind of childish delight to call people around here idiots?  Were you picked on as a child or something?  Grow up.

I take no stance on the importance of continuity; that is what I have read is the supposed advantage.

39 minutes ago, Nanker said:

The only reason they would need clearances maintained is if they're ADVISING the President or his Cabinet.

These azzholes have led a coup attempt at Trump and continue to try to !@#$ him over at every chance. 

They are dirt. Take your blinders off.

Would you say the same if the parties were reversed and it were a Democratic president?  That's my point.  This kind of decision should be based on necessity and merit and not because of political concerns.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Does it give you some kind of childish delight to call people around here idiots?  Were you picked on as a child or something?  Grow up.

I take no stance on the importance of continuity; that is what I have read is the supposed advantage.

If you take no stance you'd not have weighed in.

And if you were mature you'd not have rebutted

Mirror, sir.  Don't feed Tom.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You took a stance when you posted it, dumbass.  Did it not occur to you to question it?  Did it not occur to you to wonder what "continuity" is needed eighteen months after the inauguration?  Did you ever wonder who, exactly, maintains the continuity from administration to administration?  Do you know what the SES is, and what they do?

That's why you're an idiot.