Worried About the Scout Vacancies- Big Hole!

Somehow the idea that the Bills just fired their entire scouting staff (17 people except for two in personnel) does not seem concerning to most people but I am worried that it is a huge deal, a huge hole.

When has a team fired their entire scouting staff?

You can't just out source college and pro scouts to India or the Philippines (for example). A team needs a trusted network of them, people that have relationships with the coach, GM and other team officials. Trusted scouts are the worker bees that help build a successful team's foundation.

Most likely McD and the Beane have relationships and connections to some Scouts and will succeed in bringing them to the Bills- but it will not be enough.

I know that the previous scouts should be accountable in part for the lack of the team's success.

But what the heck are they going to do next year? Rely on Mayock, McShay and Walter Football?

This is a big deal!

Edited by jethro_tull

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most likely McD and the Beane have relationships and connections to some Scouts and will succeed in bringing them to the Bills- but it will not be enough."

they will bring people in as you say. how do you know so definitively that it will not be enough? do you know them personally or something?

Not worried at all..as he said once he was hired a sleuth of unemployed football potentials/ talent called him.

I personally would bring back Monos. I like the way he presents himself and love his eye for talent.

Should be easy. There are plenty of "experts" here on the board that claim to know more than the professional scouts anyways.

I reality, Beane said that he has received plaenty of inquiries from people all around the league wanting to be a part of this program. He is in the process of stack ranking the candidates.

"Most likely McD and the Beane have relationships and connections to some Scouts and will succeed in bringing them to the Bills- but it will not be enough."

they will bring people in as you say. how do you know so definitively that it will not be enough? do you know them personally or something?

It's a large number (17). Even if they have working relationships with (17) scouts, how are they going to get them all to leave their teams and join the Bills?

Good thing we're in the middle of college football season. Oh wait...

The biggest point I was trying to make is the void of trusted relationships between scouts and staff. Who will be the guys who's opinions have worked in the past and can be trusted in the future? This is a serious void.

Not worried at all..as he said once he was hired a sleuth of unemployed football potentials/ talent called him.

I personally would bring back Monos. I like the way he presents himself and love his eye for talent.

Which begs the question...why are they currently unemployed?

It's a large number (17). Even if they have working relationships with (17) scouts, how are they going to get them all to leave their teams and join the Bills?

The biggest point I was trying to make is the void of trusted relationships between scouts and staff. Who will be the guys who's opinions have worked in the past and can be trusted in the future? This is a serious void.

I don't get the void thing at all. What void is there? This is a whole new front office and coaching staff. Are you saying this new crew had relationships with Whaley/Monos and their guys?

Beane said he will find guys that will evaluate players the way HE wants. In many ways, scouts are a dime a dozen. They are almost like freelancers; and most have year-to-year contracts. They watch players, interview them and write up their evaluation. It's then on Beane/McDermott to distill that info.

I think Beane will have (or already has) a framework for what he expects from scouts and will find people without a problem. I suspect the vast majority of his hires will have worked for multiple NFL teams in the past.

.....could always let the ones who were terminated re-apply.......pick the one(s) you want to interview.....and I agree with Monos......

.....could always let the ones who were terminated re-apply.......pick the one(s) you want to interview.....and I agree with Monos......

...or even better, wait until your new GM was hired, and then let him decide, who stays and who goes. Then again, why use common sense when making this decision. I am sure there were some good guys in that group of 17 that got flushed down the toilet by...Pegula, McD, Overdorf, ???

- they timed that step as well as they could have. It's literally reboot time of year

- I'm sure they retained all the data from the prior scouts on underclassman as fall back

- I'm sure there is scouting data they can purchase

- the risk is they miss out on a few hidden gems here or there, I'm trying to think over the last several drafts what that might mean.