Bills have Air Force WR Jalen Robinette at rookie camp

Didn't the Bills have another player back in the 90's, early 2000's that was in a similar situation?

Not sure I'm accurate, but I thought there was a kid that played for us, but had to leave at times to serve.

Maybe Bryce Fisher?

...GOOD call bud.....it was Fisher....drafted in 1999, served his 2 years and came on board in 2001...............

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want to get these kind of athletes at the service academies they need to let them out. If they don't , they won't.

I have no idea why they want to get these kids. Why would a University that is full subsidized by the US military be interested in a football program that puts kids in the NFL? I'm entirely OK with them making these kids complete their service requirement.

That said, if they are recruiting them for their football team and not allowing them to enter the NFL, then they 10x as worse as the major college football programs who see their kids as a commodity in their business. If recruited explicitly for athletics, they should allow all current athletes to transfer without paying back any tuition or service requirement.

I have no idea why they want to get these kids. Why would a University that is full subsidized by the US military be interested in a football program that puts kids in the NFL? I'm entirely OK with them making these kids complete their service requirement.

That said, if they are recruiting them for their football team and not allowing them to enter the NFL, then they 10x as worse as the major college football programs who see their kids as a commodity in their business. If recruited explicitly for athletics, they should allow all current athletes to transfer without paying back any tuition or service requirement.

These athletes have to complete all of their studies and military training, same as every other cadet. The education is tough enough already and then sports on top of that...these are some outstanding young Americans.

We have season tickets to Air Force football games. Robinette has been the entire passing offense the past couple seasons. We will severely miss him come Saturdays this Fall. Not super fast, but decent speed. He had to run block, or go deep on just about every play. Pretty good a jump balls. Most of his long catches were a result of the opposing defense selling out to stop the run.

Avg NFL career is 3 years. And there's plenty of guys who serve even in their 40's. You think an NFL caliber athlete can't keep up with your everyday kind of guys?

yep but it doesn't happen Rarely does someone go back to the military after playing NFL.

and average for a non starter is 3 years.. what if he becomes a starter what then?

Another classic example of governmental incompetence. The policymakers at the DOD really bungled this.

Well, the Academy want's a return on their investment. The Military foots the bill for their entire education. A shame indeed, but he signed the contract. Welcome to the Air Force Leiutenant. Edited by DirtDart

Well, the Academy want's a return on their investment. The Military foots the bill for their entire education. A shame indeed, but he signed the contract. Welcome Leiutenant.

I dont know if it is as simple as that....and I dont know that there is a right and wrong here

Is it any different when a player goes to a school on a full ride scholarship?

I dont know if it is as simple as that....and I dont know that there is a right and wrong here

Is it any different when a player goes to a school on a full ride scholarship?

Difference is he accepted a commission after graduation. A huge difference IMO. He graduates with zero student loans to re-pay, and for that he signed a commitment with the Miltary branch of choice. Edited by DirtDart