Bills have Air Force WR Jalen Robinette at rookie camp

ok....athletes that are on full ride scholarships....do they need to take student loans?

No, they don't. But they know dam well that the sport they received a full ride from is their job, and academics come second. Same thing with a Military commitment. I know, they Army paid off my student loans, and in turn I owed them six years. That's how it goes. Don't sign the contract if you can't stand by the commitment. I am not arguing the right, or wrong. Just arguing the fact that he knew the fine print when he took advantage of the GOV education being provided.

If memory serves me, the Pats have a player from the Naval Academy who serves his commitment in the off-season

You are correct. I am not sure how that time adds up. The time served is different between the reserves, Nation Guard, and Active Duty. If you are not full time you receive credit for time served, i.e. one weekend a month counts as X amount of credits towards days.

Edited by DirtDart

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, as much as I'd like to see this guy in a Bills uniform this fall, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When he signed up for his free ride to the Air Force Academy (a great school, by the way), he knew he was signing up for a (minimum) two-year service commitment after graduation. Now he wants to be let out of that commitment because he's got better things to do with his time. What about the AFA grad who gets an awesome offer to go work for Goldman Sachs after graduation? Does they let him out of his commitment? What about a female AFA grad who wants to try out for the Olympics? Do they let her out? Doesn't seem right to me...

They'd solve the problem if they'd eliminate football at the academies. Of course then no Army/Navy game so that won't be happening.

These athletes have to complete all of their studies and military training, same as every other cadet. The education is tough enough already and then sports on top of that...these are some outstanding young Americans.

No doubt they have to complete their studies. So does every student athlete regardless of university, private or public. The problem arises when they are specifically recruited for their football team, but then are not allowed to pursue the NFL if they are drafted. It'll be better is they just cease recruiting for sports and try to cobble together a team with what they have. Nobody is being deceived then.

They'd solve the problem if they'd eliminate football at the academies. Of course then no Army/Navy game so that won't be happening.

Which would be a great solution. Why US military academies have D1 football teams is lost on me. Let them form their teams with players who see themselves as military recruits.

If memory serves me, the Pats have a player from the Naval Academy who serves his commitment in the off-season

I'm sure Marcia or Hoodie asked for preferential treatment and he received it.

I have to say, as much as I'd like to see this guy in a Bills uniform this fall, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. When he signed up for his free ride to the Air Force Academy (a great school, by the way), he knew he was signing up for a (minimum) two-year service commitment after graduation. Now he wants to be let out of that commitment because he's got better things to do with his time. What about the AFA grad who gets an awesome offer to go work for Goldman Sachs after graduation? Does they let him out of his commitment? What about a female AFA grad who wants to try out for the Olympics? Do they let her out? Doesn't seem right to me...

As a former USAF member I agree 100% with this poster. This should be a non issue. You were accepted into one of the top AND hardest institutions in the country and you now have an active duty obligation to fulfill.

I think they should make them serve their 2 years in the academies but they should be allowed to defer it if they have an opportunity to go pro. Honestly it hurts their recruiting otherwise.

Kids in ROTC programs (and I think the academies) are routinely allowed to defer for professional school. As long as he serves his commitment at some point, I don't understand why the NFL should be held different.

Yeah, law or med school or systems engineering or whatever may more directly serve needs in the service, but an athlete from a service academy in the NFL is built-in publicity and recruiting you can't buy.

Mannc, I get where you're coming from, but historically service academy players who are drafted by pro sports teams have been allowed to defer or serve as reserves.

So that was likely his expectation when he signed up for AFA, based on what has been allowed to happen vs. him knowing he'd have to serve right away when he signed.

I don't know specifically about the academies, but I had a bunch of friends in ROTC in college and they were all allowed to defer for professional school provided it was in a program that would benefit the service.

I think you can make a pretty cogent argument that an academy graduate playing a pro sport benefits the service by PR and for recruiting.

I don't think you can make a similar cogent argument for the benefit of working at Goldman Sachs.

There's an AF junior who made the summer Olympics team in rifle, and was allowed to compete (presumably got some kind of arrangement for training he'd miss).

Here's an article about military athletes competing in Olympics. It seems to be supported. Some of them were granted "extended leave of absence" to train. Others presumably their training was more compatible with military service.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

From what I read, deferment was a thing right up until this season. It makes sense. Yes, the Air Force doesn't gain a member on active duty, but they gain a ton of free publicity. The NFL gets a huge story out of it, especially with their military appreciation stunts.

Then, once the deferment is over the AF still gets their guy.

As a former USAF member I agree 100% with this poster. This should be a non issue. You were accepted into one of the top AND hardest institutions in the country and you now have an active duty obligation to fulfill.

This was my initial sentiment as well. However, I have had a slight change of heart. Clearly he can make a bigger difference on the football field than in military service. That said a commitment is a commitment. The solution should be to offer a way out. The tuition + living at the top colleges in the country runs at about 0.25 million for 4 years. Why not offer the graduates a choice to be let out of the commitment if they can make good on that (or some number close to that)? And have a consistent policy - so if someone wants to go to Goldman Sachs - they have the same option.

This way - the academies can still attract the top talent in their football programs, graduates still have all options and get a chance to go where they can make the biggest difference and (shamelessly) Da Bills get to have another option at WR:)

This is a bait and switch situation. When Robinette started his education, he did agree to a 2-year service following graduation. However, at that time, the rules in place allowed him to defer if he got the opportunity to go pro. Just last year, the Department of Defense changed the rules to prohibit that deferral. This is not a situation where he's trying to eliminate his service, but simply delay it. I think he'll win this appeal based on the merits of his case. I don't know how the DOD gets away with arbitrary rules changes, that immediately bind these young men into a potential situation that they didn't intend to sign up for. There is zero doubt in my mind that 2 years of service immediately would end his potential NFL career.

This is a bait and switch situation. When Robinette started his education, he did agree to a 2-year service following graduation. However, at that time, the rules in place allowed him to defer if he got the opportunity to go pro. Just last year, the Department of Defense changed the rules to prohibit that deferral. This is not a situation where he's trying to eliminate his service, but simply delay it. I think he'll win this appeal based on the merits of his case. I don't know how the DOD gets away with arbitrary rules changes, that immediately bind these young men into a potential situation that they didn't intend to sign up for. There is zero doubt in my mind that 2 years of service immediately would end his potential NFL career.

...so why shouldn't he be grandfathered in under the old rule as an existing Academy member?........

...so why shouldn't he be grandfathered in under the old rule as an existing Academy member?........

Exactly. That's what I think will happen really. How would this be any different than the DOD saying that instead of 2 years that now you have to serve 4? I can't fathom how they could get away with changing the rules at the end. Robinette has to have some right of refusal, I would think.