Is Sammy on the Ravens' radar?

I just don't like the guy, for one. But I don't care when it comes to football. My reasons for not liking him of or principle not necessarily morals.

I'd rather have him on my team than not at the right price. But, for a first and the right player I would take him.

For a first and 4th in 2018 with a 2nd in 2019 is about where I'd go.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Flash here and there"? He has the 4th-most receiving yards in the history of the game for a player under the age of 24.

He has 2,500 yards and 17 TDs in only 39 games, and in the only stretch of games of his pro career where he averaged close to 10 targets per game, he was the most productive WR in the NFL.

Through his first 3 seasons he's played 77% of his potential games. Through Julio Jones first 3 seasons he played 71% of his games.

But we need CBs who can tackle better than cover and WRs who never get hurt according to some fans.

It's speculative but he is the Ravens' Insider so maybe there is a little fire where there is smoke. I wouldn't be against trading Sammy if the Bills don't intend on re-signing him or aren't able to. They might as get something while they can. A second day 2018 draft pick and a player in return could be comparable (TE Max Williams or a LB?).

Oops, I forgot the link!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-signing-a-free-agent-wide-receiver-may-not-be-ravens-only-option-20170509-story.html

During their drought the Bills established a tradition of being that team that provides the market with it's top free agents.

Very often a Bills FA-to-be would be listed as maybe a top 10.......but by the time all the other teams came to their senses the Bills were the only ones who hadn't slapped on a franchise tag or gotten a deal worked out.

Gilmore could have triggered a return to those days but hopefully that was more isolated.

I would hope that they don't make that mistake with Watkins........he's a much better WR than Gilmore is a CB so Sammy would probably be the top FA regardless of position on the market.

But for perspective........Carolina cut off their nose to spite their face wrt Josh Norman.........I think that threw their season down the drain not getting a deal done with him.......sometimes you gotta' ask yourself what is losing a season worth?

It's speculative but he is the Ravens' Insider so maybe there is a little fire where there is smoke. I wouldn't be against trading Sammy if the Bills don't intend on re-signing him or aren't able to. They might as get something while they can. A second day 2018 draft pick and a player in return could be comparable (TE Max Williams or a LB?).

Oops, I forgot the link!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-signing-a-free-agent-wide-receiver-may-not-be-ravens-only-option-20170509-story.html

Well you said it at top of your OP...there is no relevancy in this article. He thinks the Ravens should add or could want a WR, so all he did was look around the NFL on his own accord at who he THINKS could be a good trade partner or have someone that team might be willing to move that would be a good add for Ravens.

Who knows what Ravens FO is thinking, but there is zero smoke in this article. Its no different than the threads on this board of people wanting to trade TT, or trade for a RB, or trade for another WR...all just personal opinion.

Sammy has been a stud when healthy, Bills know that. There is no way they trade a special WR they invested a lot in for peanuts right now at his lowest value, there is no benefit to the Bills to do that. They know that if Sammy can show he can be healthy they will have an Elite talent at WR on the field to either invest in long term and keep or potentially trade for much more value if they still don't want to invest a long term deal in him over cost vs injury history. And of course, we always have the Franchise option too if needed.

If he becomes a free agent, I would assume he is on all 31 teams' radar. Pretty self-explanitory

With all due respect, is it really self-explanitory?

I love Sammy as much as the next man, and to be honest I was probably in the minority of those excited about the move up to snag him. He's been far and away our best receiver on the field when he's been out there, it's clear to see he's Tyrod's favorite target, and he's battled through some tough injuries that could've easily shelved other receivers.

However, the bottom line is he has yet to prove he can stay healthy, stay on the darn field. And to be completely honest, when he's been out there, he has put up respectable, if not impressive numbers. But I struggle to believe that if he were to become a free agent that he would immediately be on all 31 other teams radars. Okay, let me rephrase, he MIGHT be on most teams radars, but do you honestly believe that he is going to command a blockbuster deal? While I'm sure that there might be a team or three that is willing to overpay for his services, I think many teams would probably want to give him a "prove it" type deal, if anything for the simple fact the kid just can't stay healthy.

I was chatting it up with a Cowboys fan yesterday, and the guy was a football fan yes, but very knowledgeable, not so much. When we were talking about the upcoming season, and I was mentioning that Tyrod would finally have Sammy healthy to start the season, the first thing he said was, "has that guy ever played a full season? He is never healthy." I thought it was funny that a guy who really knows nothing significant about the Bills only reference to Sammy Watkins was that he's never healthy. Again, this is just my humble opinion. But a poster once said, "give me the average receiver who plays a 16 game season over a superstar who is only available 8 games a season 1000 times out of 1000. I hope that Sammy balls out this year, and if so, we franchise him in an effort to hammer out a new contract extension. I'd love to see what his numbers would look like for a full season.

I just don't like the guy, for one. But I don't care when it comes to football. My reasons for not liking him of or principle not necessarily morals.

I'd rather have him on my team than not at the right price. But, for a first and the right player I would take him.

I bet you the best you can get for an injury prone WR with 1 year left on his deal is a 3rd rounder. Draft picks are more valuable than gold in the NFL.

.........I think that threw their season down the drain not getting a deal done with him.......sometimes you gotta' ask yourself what is losing a season worth?

Lucky for you, you came to the right place with that question, just ask the Bills, they're experts with that.

I bet you the best you can get for an injury prone WR with 1 year left on his deal is a 3rd rounder. Draft picks are more valuable than gold in the NFL.

I bet you that you're wrong, but fortunately, we won't find out.

Sammy Watkins and the sunk cost fallacy.

What they paid for him has nothing to do with it. At all. He's 24 years old and has been nothing short of excellent when on the field and given opportunities. There's no reason whatsoever not to keep him.

The only reason is injury.

My guess is he is healthy for all 16 games this year and proves his worth.

Even at that, you're talking about a guy that's been on the field far, far more often than not.

His biggest impediment to productivity has been lack of targets when on the field; injury is a relatively distant second in that it's really only held him back last year.

If they offered us their First rounder in 2018 right now, I would have to consider it. We aren't going win the AFCE this year or go to the superbowl, so....

...so the team doesn't need good players?

With all due respect, is it really self-explanitory?

I love Sammy as much as the next man, and to be honest I was probably in the minority of those excited about the move up to snag him. He's been far and away our best receiver on the field when he's been out there, it's clear to see he's Tyrod's favorite target, and he's battled through some tough injuries that could've easily shelved other receivers.

However, the bottom line is he has yet to prove he can stay healthy, stay on the darn field. And to be completely honest, when he's been out there, he has put up respectable, if not impressive numbers. But I struggle to believe that if he were to become a free agent that he would immediately be on all 31 other teams radars. Okay, let me rephrase, he MIGHT be on most teams radars, but do you honestly believe that he is going to command a blockbuster deal? While I'm sure that there might be a team or three that is willing to overpay for his services, I think many teams would probably want to give him a "prove it" type deal, if anything for the simple fact the kid just can't stay healthy.

I was chatting it up with a Cowboys fan yesterday, and the guy was a football fan yes, but very knowledgeable, not so much. When we were talking about the upcoming season, and I was mentioning that Tyrod would finally have Sammy healthy to start the season, the first thing he said was, "has that guy ever played a full season? He is never healthy." I thought it was funny that a guy who really knows nothing significant about the Bills only reference to Sammy Watkins was that he's never healthy. Again, this is just my humble opinion. But a poster once said, "give me the average receiver who plays a 16 game season over a superstar who is only available 8 games a season 1000 times out of 1000. I hope that Sammy balls out this year, and if so, we franchise him in an effort to hammer out a new contract extension. I'd love to see what his numbers would look like for a full season.

who are you kidding....Sammy is definitely going to get a block buster deal

were you one of the people saying Gilmore would not get one?

I'd consider it for CJ Mosley and a 2018 1st

In a heartbeat. Elite MLBs win Super Bowls all the time. CJ is an elite MLB. How many SBs have Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ won? Zero.

I think they may have to also throw in a 7th in 2021.

From that very article:

"There’s been no indication Watkins is available, but with him expected to hit free agency after the 2017 season and a new regime in charge in Buffalo, it wouldn’t hurt to ask."

Have we ever asked the Pats if Brady and Gronk are available?

I'd consider it for CJ Mosley and a 2018 1st

Yeah, you are at least in the range. I'm amazed at how few people here recognize Sammy's talent. Obviously, he was hurt last year but he is a DOMINANT talent when healthy. In this new offense I'd expect 1,300-1,500 yards and 10 TDs.