Pats* issue seldom-used May 9 tender to LeGarrette Blount

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick is really above everyone else.....BTW, it doesn't really screw Blount...the comp pick does not come from the team who would pick LB...Would the Giants or Lions hesitate to pick him up because NE will get a 5th next year ?.....I don't think so....

That chess vs checkers is getting old, but it is accurate....

That would actually help them....

The reason I think it screws Blount is now he can't wait out a contract. Where as if they had t done this, he could have sat and waited for an injury or hole to open up during preseason (etc).

But now if he remains u signed thru July 22nd, he can't play for anyone but the Patriots in 2017 (and they aren't likely to give him more than the $1.1M tender).

I agree though on Belichick. He is on another level. I hate him and the Patriots, but man do I respect his coaching abilities and knowledge of every damn rule and loophole.

Why doesn't anyone else take advantage of this? I've never heard of this tag before.

Do the Pats* just make this schnizz up as they go along?

NE is like the kid who actually reads all the rules of a board game...it's annoying as hell, but they are right 99% of the time....

The reason I think it screws Blount is now he can't wait out a contract. Where as if they had t done this, he could have sat and waited for an injury or hole to open up during preseason (etc).

But now if he remains u signed thru July 22nd, he can't play for anyone but the Patriots in 2017 (and they aren't likely to give him more than the $1.1M tender).

I agree though on Belichick. He is on another level. I hate him and the Patriots, but man do I respect his coaching abilities and knowledge of every damn rule and loophole.

I don't think NE really wants him either...( they have what , 5 RBs ? )...so, if no one picks him up, they will have to release him to avoid giving him the $1.1M...at that point, he'll be back as a FA...

This tells me they aren't so sure about what they got in Gillie now that they have seen him in person.

Fans there really overhyped that signing. He's a good back, but there are a ton of good backs in the league.

they know every !@#$ing rule. jesus

Seriously though, how hard is it to know the rules? If it was my job to run an NFL team you can beat I would know every single rule too. The real question is, why don't other teams seem to know them? It's their job to.

I think it's a smart move. I'm not sure they want him back but if no one's interested they sign a good RB for pennies. If someone is interested, he helps them get a pick.

That's exactly what it does. They get a free draft pick out of this, or worst case scenario is they get a guy who ran 1,100 / 18TDs for $1.1M.

They are elite with asset management, and have been for years.

This tells me they aren't so sure about what they got in Gillie now that they have seen him in person.

That's completely ridiculous.

Edited by QCity

Every team knows about this tender. It's just that it's very rare that an UFA with as good a season as Blount had remains unsigned this far into the off-season, so you don't hear about teams using it very often.

As for the potential to lose a comp pick, I don't think that will scare off many teams if they really wanted him. And his tender is low. But apparently Blount has no intentions of signing the tender.

I follow pretty close and never heard of this one

Or that they saw a chance to get a good player dirt cheap or get compensated-- there's no downside to the situation

If I was Blount I'd be pissed, he might be able to make more money but teams are going to be pushed away by the 5th rd pick.

Teams aren't goin to have to give up anything for him, and NE doesn't automatically get a comp pick, it's based on what he signs elsewhere for.

What are you talking about?

If I was Blount I'd be pissed, he might be able to make more money but teams are going to be pushed away by the 5th rd pick.

I could be wrong, but this just means he counts towards compensatory pick formula. Might scare off some teams who are in line to receive compensatory picks, but Bills are not one of those.

for some reason when I read this I read it as "now that they have seen him in prison"... hopefully that's not foreboding for him, or maybe Brandon Spikes was right about Foxboro and it was a Freudian slip