A former Carolina resident's 2 cents on McDermott/Beane...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing's first...I have to stand behind these moves, because these are the guys I wanted.

I'll explain why...

First of all, I wanted McDermott long before we fired Rex. I lived in Myrtle Beach, SC, for a few years and I heard a lot about these guys. Josh Norman was at Coastal Carolina, and I saw him play a few times. When he was drafted to the Panthers, I followed that closely. I would hear him talk about how McDermott was such a detail oriented person, and that he always tried to get the best out of his players. He would work individually with them after practice if they wanted. I heard other players say the same thing, Thomas Davis being one of them. I heard Ron Rivera talk about how he expected to lose him sooner or later. All the players always had the same type of vibe when it came to Sean McDermott, they loved the guy and the reason why was because he would never accept anything less than 100% effort from them. Nobody was ever singled out and embarrassed, and none of the veterans were ever given any preferential treatment by him. Jobs were jobs, and they were going to be earned. McDermott was credited for taking players like Josh Norman and Greg Hardy, late round picks, and turning them into pro-bowl caliber players. Charles Johnson and Captain Munnerlyn took off under him too.

Second, I would always hear Rivera, Gettleman and Richardson talk glowingly about Beane. You would hear things like "eye for talent," "hard worker," "worked his way up the organizational ladder." He was another guy that they all expected to lose sooner or later. He was critical in keeping them afloat when they fired their GM half way through a season. He was an integral part in the cap structure of the team. I'm pretty sure he was instrumental in bringing Greg Olsen to Carolina. I also recall hearing he was the one pounding the table for Luke Kuechly over Stephon Gilmore and a couple other guys (Ingram, Coples, Cox, Jones, Poe). In 2011 Carolina ranked 24th in passing defense, Gilmore visited with the team (March 2012), their DB coach (Steve Wilks) visited with Gilmore (April 2012), and he grew up 20 minutes down the road. From my understanding, a lot of people wanted Gilmore. However, it was Beane and McDermott who wanted Kuechly and thought he would be an all-pro caliber player in the NFL and a cornerstone/leader for their defense. Beane was somebody who was always spoken very highly of, by everyone I would hear talk about him down there on the radio or in the newspaper.

If you take a look at the Carolina Panthers' draft history, their selections seem to have gotten better in 2011/2012 once Bean became more involved too.

Both of these guys were constantly talked about as great football men, who knew what they were doing and would one day be running their own teams.

I don't claim to know anything from any inside sources, and this could all mean nothing...I'm just giving my two cents on something I was close to and paid attention to when I was living down there.

A couple other interesting facts...the Panthers had interest in Jerel Worthy that year, as well as 2017 Bills (rumored) free agency targets Keenan Robinson and Morris Claiborne.

Here's a transcript of Stephon Gilmore's introductory press conference, that was posted on the Panthers' team website...

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Transcript-Stephon-Gilmore/75cb2456-5578-4b28-b3ee-d14d3af4770f

(And if it wasn't Beane, I would've wanted Veach...simply because my former high school teammate, Ryan Poles, works with him in KC and had spoken highly of him.)

***I didn't know if this should be put in another thread, but I figured there was enough here and I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle...if you want to merge it, I understand.***

I don't follow the Panthers, but would you mind explaining their 2016 draft to me? Why did they use 3 of their first 4 picks on defensive backs? Also, how did doing so translate in terms of wins/losses?

Thanks.

I have a good friend who works for the Panthers and has know this guy for many years. He texted me to say "we hit the gm lottery" with this guy. Good to hear, but after all the years of pain, I am officially a wait and see guy. Nonetheless, good to hear. Stay tuned.

Hiring a young head coach with no HC experience is what I hoped for all along. Don't want a retread guy, take a chance on an up and coming coordinator with high standards for himself and his players.

It's like drafting an QB, there are no guarantees and no perfect way to predict how they'll do at the next level, at some point you have to take a leap of faith.

So we did. And we believe in him enough to bring in a GM he wants to work with, that shares the same vision he does for this team.

McDermotts defense allowed more yards per game than we did last year, and that's a little concerning. But the man is impressive and that's what we're investing in. These guys can pull this off, I know they can.

Hiring a young head coach with no HC experience is what I hoped for all along. Don't want a retread guy, take a chance on an up and coming coordinator with high standards for himself and his players.

It's like drafting an QB, there are no guarantees and no perfect way to predict how they'll do at the next level, at some point you have to take a leap of faith.

So we did. And we believe in him enough to bring in a GM he wants to work with, that shares the same vision he does for this team.

McDermotts defense allowed more yards per game than we did last year, and that's a little concerning. But the man is impressive and that's what we're investing in. These guys can pull this off, I know they can.

So was Greg Williams ; micky d five yrs with Carolina defense 27 21 10 10 2 .......looks like middle of the road to me ........and if its found out that he only wanted to draft players that was in school for 4 yrs instead of studs he needs to never touch the draft again.....

Edited by liverpoolkev

Awesome post. After I got married I lived in North Myrtle Beach right on the water, we got pregnant wanted to go back to NY... got pregnant again, now I'm in Matthews, NC. Miss myrtle beach and the restaurant Flip Flops.

That aside I have been on board with MCD and am def on board with Beane. Beane wasn't my first choice, but the guy knows a lot of different facets of the job and versatility is our motto.

They get 3 years, not 4. This is the NFL after all.

Part of my reasoning for 4 years and not 3 is I truly believe we will at some point have a year with a rookie QB. It isn't going to be year 1, might be year 2 but possibly year 3 (if we draft one in 2018 but start TT). I'm willing to take a bit of a dip with a rookie at the helm if that is what it takes to find our QB of the future.

Great post, thanks for the insight!

See people, this is how you do it - some opinion supported by insights that you spell out clearly. So much better than "They suck because I don't know them!" :beer:

I wanted McDermott too. I honestly believe had Carolina not gone to the Superbowl in 2015 he would have been a Head Coach a year earlier. His process driven approach and circumspect communication are more my sort of person and my sort of coach than Rex could ever be.

I am nervous just how much power the Pegulas have given him but once they made that decision they had to follow through and get "his guy" at the GM spot. I feel like here are two personalities we know mesh who are aligned philosophically and are going to work together well.

I just want to see it given time to work. Give it 4 years.... do not get trigger happy if there are blips. Stay the course. I think in McDermott we have a winner.

The Eagles were known to have wanted to make McD their coach, but they werent willing to wait until after the superbowl, so they went with next on their list.

I am happy with McD. I hope the Pegulas give him enough time if it takes a while.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Also, I don't think Pegs wants to pay anymore fired Coaches or GMs to sit at home... so that's a natural force in favor if stability.

Although we as individuals are staggered by the $35 million or whatever amount the Pegs are paying folks not to work, I can assure you those in the Billionaire league take these hits in stride. They are trying to get it right for their business....and will do what it takes. I think the slow method they approached with the Sabres initially has made them more activist now.......they are learning as owners "on the job"

Thanks for the information JustWinPlease. Good stuff. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I am in a wait & see mode with the Bills. I have just been burned too many timesby them to fully buy in. I hope Mcd & Beane are the real deal. Everything I hear about them sound very good. We shall see though if it translates into wins & yes Pegs needs to show patience & give them at minimum 3/4 years to get this thing on the right tracks.

Thank you for posting your insight!

I don't know anyone with the Panthers, but I know a few coaches and FO on other teams ...and these hires have completely changed the path of the organization in their eyes.

That is also good to hear. Like I said the bills have fooled too many times before. I am in a wait & see approach. I didn't renew my season tickets for the for the first time in 17 years. What is weird is the Bills only called me once, a few weeks back to see if I was renewing. In the past when/if I did not make my payment in early March they would call me every other week asking me if I am renewing. This year they really didn't seem to care if I renewed. Tells me season ticket sales are going good.

I live in NC and know a ton of panthers fans. Most of them know nothing about football at all, but the few who do and the ones I trust, think we knocked it out of the park with both of them. They'd honestly prefer McD and Beane to Rivera and Gettleman.

same thing as wanting the backup QB to start....

I live in NC and know a ton of panthers fans. Most of them know nothing about football at all, but the few who do and the ones I trust, think we knocked it out of the park with both of them. They'd honestly prefer McD and Beane to Rivera and Gettleman.

isn't it amazing how dumb they are? I went on their board last name as frank Reich and harassed them saying we are the buffalo panthers. Well, they're the Charlotte bills.

Carolina is the dumbest fan base in the league. Hands down

I don't follow the Panthers, but would you mind explaining their 2016 draft to me? Why did they use 3 of their first 4 picks on defensive backs? Also, how did doing so translate in terms of wins/losses?

Thanks.

that is what gets me. But they ended up wit good dbs in Bradberry and Worley. Also the other guy is OK.

I'll respond more to this threads tonight or tomorrow busy eveninf ahead. Bought a new toy. :D

This was a great post and the type of post that message boards are for. Helpful insights and opinions from a fan who is interested in what is going on, but is not pretending to be an expert. I don't know a lot about Beane and I was skeptical about the hire, but this post gives me more optimism! Thank you for your insights!

This helps confirm the 1st impressions many of us are getting on McD.

I'm not expecting everything to change overnight, but the dawning of a New Era feels close at hand,

thanks OP

(feel the rhythm with your hands)

I'm a Billiever...