The impact of Shady's contract?

He produces. I don't give a damn about his age or his salary. They let guys go and everyone complains. If they don't let them go everyone complains. You know what the constant is here. Unbelieveable.

^^this

Every year his cap hit be comes less and less of an impact on the relative, and ever increasing salary cap. If he produces, he should stay.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He produces. I don't give a damn about his age or his salary. They let guys go and everyone complains. If they don't let them go everyone complains. You know what the constant is here. Unbelieveable.

That's very un-Buffalo like....we are supposed to not like our star players and want to get rid of them. Sabre fans want to get rid of Kane.

Was high enough that New England knew there was no way we could afford to pay $4 mil for MG to be the backup.

I don't think it was a matter of "afford"ing $4m for MG. It was a matter of not valuing any backup RB being worth $4m when RBs are a dime a dozen.

That's very un-Buffalo like....we are supposed to not like our star players and want to get rid of them. Sabre fans want to get rid of Kane.

You are so right. I never will understand the hate for Kane. He's done everything that was expected of him. Most popular player in Buffalo is usually a backup.

i'm not exactly endorsing this comment, but it's worth talking about. A no-star system works if you have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. But look at most other teams; they have stars. Look Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay.

A lot of what seems to have been going on with the Bills is to model the organization after the Pats. That's all well and good if you have a Belichick, but McDermott hasn't coached one game yet, so I wonder whether it makes sense to go aggressively in that direction.

Atlanta has two players this year with cap hits over $10 million. Pats and Bills have three. Steelers, Packers, Seahawks all have five or six.

It's too early to tell where this team is headed so far as stars are concerned. But if they're going in the direction the Pats are going, McDermott and his new GM better be really good at figuring out who the athletes are that fit the system. And the system better be awfully good, because a mediocre system with mediocre talent ain't cuttin it in this league.

I believe the point of the article was to say that stars can be developed, not signed as splash signings to bolsters ticket sales.

I like how the draft played out. Gaining an extra 1st next meant not getting a "star" (potentially) at 10. White was a solid selection near the end of the 1st, and won't cost as much on his rookie deal than a player at 10 would have.

As for FA, part of why that played out the way it did was because of the "star" player deals that the Bills had given out over the last 2 years. Perhaps the new philosophy is to avoid them, but considering the cap space, the Bills really weren't in a position to make a big splash signing even if they wanted to.

We've had one offseason with McDermott at the helm, so it's a small sample size, but part of the idea that the Bills new philosophy of avoiding stars, as Vic says, is by default. Kind of short sighted, IMO. The Bills had more holes to fill on the roster this offseason than I can remember in years past. They brought in mostly "low key" players to fill them, and gained draft capital for the future. Doing this sets the team up for future success, and possibly affords the coaching staff some security in years 3 and beyond.

i'm not exactly endorsing this comment, but it's worth talking about. A no-star system works if you have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. But look at most other teams; they have stars. Look Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay.

A lot of what seems to have been going on with the Bills is to model the organization after the Pats. That's all well and good if you have a Belichick, but McDermott hasn't coached one game yet, so I wonder whether it makes sense to go aggressively in that direction.

Atlanta has two players this year with cap hits over $10 million. Pats and Bills have three. Steelers, Packers, Seahawks all have five or six.

It's too early to tell where this team is headed so far as stars are concerned. But if they're going in the direction the Pats are going, McDermott and his new GM better be really good at figuring out who the athletes are that fit the system. And the system better be awfully good, because a mediocre system with mediocre talent ain't cuttin it in this league.

I would argue that NE has as many stars as Green Bay....or Atlanta.....it's not just the system....

Absolutely.

We should keep LeSean McCoy for as long as we can.

This tells me that if he has a good 2017 he stays for 2018.

If he is still an effective player they will at worst do a restructure of his deal. I think Shady has one more good 1000 yard season in the tank at age 29 at best maybe he turns in a solid 2018 at age 30 but 30 is a problematic number for RB's esp guys like Shady who will be on his 10th season after this up coming year. But if the Bills manage to get one more elite year out of Shady I will consider that a success overall even if he falls off in 2018.

It is odd to think that McCoy if he rushes for 1044 yards he will hit the 10,000 yard mark he would be the 30th player to do so (Unless Forte or Chris Johnson get there before him). And considering that he would have done it in 9 seasons that's not someone compiling through attrition. Crazy to think that he is knocking on such a milestone. It doesn't feel like he has been in the league as long as he has.

In fact McCoy is 5th among active running backs in career rushing yards behind Frank Gore and AP (Both of whom are above the 10k mark) and behind Chris Johnson and Matt Forte who are both close to the 10k mark. Considering CJ 2k will be 32 during the season, is coming off an injury, and is currently without a team I doubt he gets the 500 yards he needs. Forte will also turn 32 but only needs under 600 yards and is currently on the Jets and is in line to get legit playing time so it will depend on a lot of things for him but he has a shot at it.

Edited by billsfan89

If he is still an effective player they will at worst do a restructure of his deal. I think Shady has one more good 1000 yard season in the tank at age 29 at best maybe he turns in a solid 2018 at age 30 but 30 is a problematic number for RB's esp guys like Shady who will be on his 10th season after this up coming year. But if the Bills manage to get one more elite year out of Shady I will consider that a success overall even if he falls off in 2018.

It is odd to think that McCoy if he rushes for 1044 yards he will hit the 10,000 yard mark he would be the 30th player to do so (Unless Forte or Chris Johnson get there before him). And considering that he would have done it in 9 seasons that's not someone compiling through attrition. Crazy to think that he is knocking on such a milestone. It doesn't feel like he has been in the league as long as he has.

In fact McCoy is 5th among active running backs in career rushing yards behind Frank Gore and AP (Both of whom are above the 10k mark) and behind Chris Johnson and Matt Forte who are both close to the 10k mark. Considering CJ 2k will be 32 during the season, is coming off an injury, and is currently without a team I doubt he gets the 500 yards he needs. Forte will also turn 32 but only needs under 600 yards and is currently on the Jets and is in line to get legit playing time so it will depend on a lot of things for him but he has a shot at it.

That is amazing.

He's the best RB we've had since Thurman.

I don't think it was a matter of "afford"ing $4m for MG. It was a matter of not valuing any backup RB being worth $4m when RBs are a dime a dozen.

...if they paid that to MG, wonder what Blount was looking for??...............

I believe the point of the article was to say that stars can be developed, not signed as splash signings to bolsters ticket sales.

I really don't buy the splash signing notion. I think Mario Williams was one of those. Not Watkins, not McCoy. Both of those moves were driven by the desire to improve the offense, not ticket sales, dramatically. Football people made those deals, not marketing people. McCoy particularly - Eagles called, Doug and Rex jumped and made a deal in a half hour. That had nothing to do with marketing.

Until Shady shows me a sign of slowing down, I'm keeping him and paying him. He is an elite RB in this league and he hasn't shown any sign of slowing down yet. Yes, we know it's coming at some point, but we should wait until then before we start considering moving on. If he looks as good as he did last year this season, then there is no way I get rid of him in 2018. Very few RBs are a cut above the rest, he is one of them and is a game changer.

This. McCoy is one of the best RBs in the league. When he starts slowing down this will be a discussion worth having.