Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

How many great receivers have won a Super Bowl with the Patriots? The answer is zero. I realize it hurts most Bills fans to have given up so much for so little in return, and it's a bit embarrassing to not pick up the option on a player we gave up so much for, but it's the right move.

Sammy Watkins has had little impact on the field and tying up $13 million + in him next season would not be wise. This season, the playoffs are unlikely but next season, entering year 19 we could very well contend. McDermott doesn't give a **** what we gave up for Watkins and he shouldn't. He would rather use the money on two or three good players at other positions that could help us and so would I.

If Sammy avoids injury and plays great you re-sign him. If he doesn't want to sign, you franchise him and possibly trade. If he is injury free and has a big season, you will get quite a haul from the right contender that needs a receiver and will be set up great going into the next draft.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Question for 26CB - has there ever been a player whose option was declined by the team that drafted him and then either a) signed an extension with that team the next season or b) was franchised the next season by that team?

Mark Ingram - Saints

@mikerodak

Bills lose some leverage but gain flexibility in declining Sammy Watkins 2018 option:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/27898/bills-gain-flexibility-in-2018-by-declining-sammy-watkins-option

@mikerodak

If the Bills assign Sammy Watkins the franchise tag in 2018 (~$16-$17M), it will likely give him 2nd-highest cap #. Highest if Tyrod is cut.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm sure Watkins is excited to be on that list. Play for us with that broken foot, a year later...that foot needs to heal so you can prove your value to us. Oh yah and that injury guarantee, your not getting that!! Remember your foot?! Clowns.

Exactly. Fans often see an injured player and think this dude is getting paid millions to sit on his ass! That player is thinking, I busted my fukking balls and brain for this team and look what happened to me, I can't even play and my leg is falling off. And now they don't want me or want to pay me when I get healthy?!

Exactly. Fans often see an injured player and think this dude is getting paid millions to sit on his ass! That player is thinking, I busted my fukking balls and brain for this team and look what happened to me, I can't even play and my leg is falling off. And now they don't want me or want to pay me when I get healthy?!

Crazy days when I'm the one that has to defend Sammy.

I'm sure Watkins is excited to be on that list. Play for us with that broken foot, a year later...that foot needs to heal so you can prove your value to us. Oh yah and that injury guarantee, your not getting that!! Remember your foot?! Clowns.

Sammy will be glad to be out of this clown show.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

How does that get him say $15m a year?

Although it did work for Jairus Byrd so who knows

Question for 26CB - has there ever been a player whose option was declined by the team that drafted him and then either a) signed an extension with that team the next season or b) was franchised the next season by that team?

Mark Ingram - Saints

Thanks. I didn't know of any that came to mind.

What has Sammy proved here?

He has yet to have a year as good as Steve Johnson.

Show up, have 1,500 yards and the Bills will pay.

But its been nothing but playing through injuries and the Bills not knowing/willing to use him for 3 years now.

Who were Sammys QBs? Right there is his reasoning.

He better ball out against Gilmore at the very, very least. I think he will perform in his best year to date, if Tyrod has progressed over the offseason.

If anything, I think we shouldn't let him walk. However, if he's asking too much, given his injury status, who are the top WR prospects we should keep an eye on for next year?

I wonder who is making this decision. A HC who has never coached a game in the NFL before? A president who has proven in the past that he doesn't have a clue about the football side of the business? Ownership who has shown that they're not football savvy?

I'd have much more faith in this decision if they had a GM on board who had a clear picture of how he wants to shape the team in the coming years. But right now important decisions are being made without the most important position in the front office filled. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

I said it at the end of last season and I'll say it again. The Pegulas needed to either give Whaley control of football operations, including hand picking his head coach, or they needed to fire him and hire someone that they trusted to have that authority. I don't disagree that Whaley left something to be desired as a GM but if you were going to get rid of him you do it at the end of last season, hire a GM and let that GM hire the coach.

Who is determining the direction of this football team? I guess it's ownership, but if that's the case I have no faith that this thing will get turned around anytime soon unless they accidentally hit one out of the park with the hiring of McDermott.

You dont know what you're talking about. Money has nothing to do with the decision. Watkins needs to perform and stay healthy. If he does he will get paid before his 5th year. This decision changes pretty much nothing. Watkins knows he needs to perform now, he doesnt have $13 million waiting for him next year if he doesnt perform.

But the decision won't determine whether he is healthy or not. The decision changes a lot because now he knows he has FA waiting for him after just the 2017 season. This is a gamble that SW won't be healthy and/ or produce. If he performs, he will force his way out of here. The Bills won't even have had a chance to draft a 1st round QB yet or get to see him with Watkins for a season. SW will want out just like Norman wanted out of Carolina.

The Bills are finally making cold hearted business decisions. The Whaley Era is officially over. No more crazy $100M contracts for a DT.

This is the correct option. Sammy is a great talent and he'll prove that in this his contract year IMO. So they either work out an extension or make him a qualifying offer of $3.5 million for 2018. Then sit back and see what the market offers for him. Match whatever offer he gets at market value or decline and get another #1 Draft Pick as compensation.

Only risk is the dreaded "Poison Pill".

So NE front loads a contract again and we walk again. We get a #32 pick and the Pats get our best player. Our only hope is that they the guy we pick at 32 doesn't completely suck. Good plan. Working so far.

How does that special team pick in the 5th compare with Gillislee?

If he's allowed to hit the market, he's gone. Saying "no team will spend big money on an injury prone wr" shows little understanding of the league . Sammy is reconized around the league as an elite talent. IMO this is the first step towards losing him just like Gilmore. We should deal him now if we are intent on playing a game of chicken about his health.

How does he hit the market? Tag him in 2018 and you can tag him again in 2019

Trade? You get a 3rd at best a 2nd. An injury prone guy yet to put up big #'s consistently wanting big money. No one will line up for that deal

I think there is a good argument for the Bills decision here. But only based on the premise that they are very concerned about SW's chronic foot issues.

Best case scenario: SW's foot fully heals, he tears it up in 2017 and we franchise him and work on a long term deal. All this would have happened with the 5th year option anyway. Bills just end up paying $5m or so to protect themselves.

Worst case scenario: SW's foot just can't heal properly. He's in and out of the lineup in 2017 and his career never really develops the way he should have because of the injuries. And the Bills are totally protected agains this by not picking up the 5th year option.

Bills fans worst case scenario: SW tears it up and bills lose him in 2018 for nothing to the Pats (very unlikely to happen).

Bolded is key.

This is a serious mistake. First big one of the McDermott era.

This essentially means he's gone after next year. If he catches balls for 1200 yards and the Bills go to the playoffs, they'll lose their #1 wide receiver. Why? Because if that happens the Bills will have to break the bank to keep Tyrod and they won't be able to match the offers Sammy will get elsewhere.

Never, never, never give up on talent too early. If you haven't special talent that isn't playing up to the level you'd like, keep trying, because you want to still own the player when his play catches up to his talent. Much better to waste a year on talent that doesn't come around than to give up a year too early.

Can you say MARSHAWN?